[ADWD SPOILERS] Daenerys 3

Xray the Enforcer

Oh gods, I hated Xaro in his previous appearances, just something about him made me deeply uncomfortable. Daenerys, as mentioned above, seems to be stuck into a holding pattern for a chapter or two until the pieces move into place. I enjoyed this chapter a lot though, it seems as though Dany is very, very aware of the magnitude of her task.

Just read this chapter, and I noticed that Drogon is roaming free while the other 2 dragons are locked in a pit - wouldn't that stunt their growth, just like the dragons back (when they had them) in KL?

and no she does not need Tyrion as her hand - she needs Tyrion, but to convice her to get the hell of out Essos.

• 3 weeks later...

Just read this chapter, and I noticed that Drogon is roaming free while the other 2 dragons are locked in a pit - wouldn't that stunt their growth, just like the dragons back (when they had them) in KL?

and no she does not need Tyrion as her hand - she needs Tyrion, but to convice her to get the hell of out Essos.

Yes, it does, I think it was mentioned by her or Barristan in the previous Daenerys chapter.

• 1 month later...

I actually think what she desperately needs to do is care for her dragons!

Everyone knows ("it is known" ;o)) that in order to conquer the world, you best have dragons. They are her most valuable asset. Not even in the sense that they spit fire or are dangerous creatures, but their symbolism alone will convince people.

What's also annoying is her talk about "usurpers". Okay, there have been many kings in her family, but Aegon the conquerer was a conquerer (usurper) as well. There have been kings before Aegon. And Aegon has killed people in order to get the throne. So all this talk about the "true heir" and "true king" is kind of futile. Stannis is as much the "true king" as Daenerys or any other self proclaimed king. Actually, noone has a true claim to the Iron Throne. There has always been a time before there even were kings.

So Daenerys really needs to come up with a better reasoning for her plans than being "the true heir" and taking revenge on the "usurpers".

She wants power and she has dragons and an army.

And what she currently does is not only waste her resources, but also reign blind like a headless chicken. And neglecting her most important asset. In a previous chapter she plays with Vyserion and thinks "how can I find time for them". Hello? They are your most important hope! Without them, you are nothing, Daenerys Stormborn! So you better care for them, train them, spend 90% of your time with them, find out how to tame them, learn to ride them, feed them so they don't fly off hunting.

You can't just let dogs roam around freely and then expect them to obey and trust you. Lock them up in a dark place and lose their trust and loyalty. How is she supposed to conquer the world with her dragons when all they know is a dungeon? Dungeons'n'dragons reference intended. :D

Sorry, rant over.

But I just wish she wouldn't just assume they train themselves.

What's also annoying is her talk about "usurpers". Okay, there have been many kings in her family, but Aegon the conquerer was a conquerer (usurper) as well. There have been kings before Aegon. And Aegon has killed people in order to get the throne. So all this talk about the "true heir" and "true king" is kind of futile. Stannis is as much the "true king" as Daenerys or any other self proclaimed king. Actually, noone has a true claim to the Iron Throne. There has always been a time before there even were kings.

Well, Dany is kind of the only contestant for the Iron Throne whose POV we get. I'm sure if we could read Stannis' thoughts he would think of Tommen, Joffrey or any Targaryen as usurpers. You can't blame a girl for hating on everyone who played a part in getting her exiled.

Well, Dany is kind of the only contestant for the Iron Throne whose POV we get. I'm sure if we could read Stannis' thoughts he would think of Tommen, Joffrey or any Targaryen as usurpers. You can't blame a girl for hating on everyone who played a part in getting her exiled.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm not only blaming Daenerys, but include Stannis in my blames.

I guess I just don't like the whole entitlement thing. I would be more comfortable with people who simply admit that they want power for the sake of it. "I want power, I want revenge, I want it NOW and booya, I got dragons/magic/armies/gold to get my way. Yay me!"

One could say, I sympathize with Renly, because he knew he wasn't the "trueborn heir", he just thought he'd be an awesome king and might find ways to get the throne. But at least he wasn't being a hypocrat naming himself "true" and everyone else "false".

You may have noticed my nickname and understand where I'm coming from there. I don't think any of them has a "right" to sit the throne. They all have their own egocentric motives. I'm sure Daenerys has the best intentions, but so does Stannis. They're both usurpers.

• 1 month later...

A couple things...

Her true kingdom is not necessarily Westeros as some have said - because the Targaryans are originally from Valyria [Essos]

The Targaryans from a certain point of view are actually the ONLY true heirs to the Iron Throne because while there were kings and queens and kingdoms prior...

...The Targaryans actualy had the Iron Throne itseld forged for them by their Dragons IIRC

There is no doubt that Dany is being cast in our eyes [and others] as a Usurper [for better or for worse] by GRRM much in the way that he juxtaposes lots of situations and roles on his characters.

She is becoming what she most despises in spite of herself and her noble motives.

The Targs could be said to have Usurped Westeros in a good way by ending much of the battles and bloodshed as they united the kingdoms under 1 rule -- yet I'm sure many families obviously didn't like it at the time.

Many slippery slopes...

But I am at least glad I now know I am not the only one who is so ultimately frustrated with what Dany is doing.

For those who think she is wiser than "This girl is young" or whatever that line is are obviously giving her way too much credit IMHO

• 4 weeks later...

I hated Dany's arrogance for quite a long time. All this stuff about the usurper... She doesn't have more right to the throne of the seven kingdoms than any other. And everything about that "ow, poor slaves - let's free them" annoys me. Finally someone told her men didn't think of her as a liberator (neither will those of Westeros if she invades their country), they just think about her as yet another person who came to make war.

• 1 month later...

Ugh, so frustrating. She finally gets a great chance to return to Westeros with a decent sized army and she turns it down to stay in Meeren. Tyrion, please turn up soon and convince her to leave.

• 6 months later...

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm not only blaming Daenerys, but include Stannis in my blames.

I guess I just don't like the whole entitlement thing. I would be more comfortable with people who simply admit that they want power for the sake of it. "I want power, I want revenge, I want it NOW and booya, I got dragons/magic/armies/gold to get my way. Yay me!"

One could say, I sympathize with Renly, because he knew he wasn't the "trueborn heir", he just thought he'd be an awesome king and might find ways to get the throne. But at least he wasn't being a hypocrat naming himself "true" and everyone else "false".

You may have noticed my nickname and understand where I'm coming from there. I don't think any of them has a "right" to sit the throne. They all have their own egocentric motives. I'm sure Daenerys has the best intentions, but so does Stannis. They're both usurpers.

It's a different mindset to what we can have now, in an era of pragmatism. A pragmatism displayed by many chars in the story, too, like Renly as you said, Tyrion, Littlefinger and Varys. But i tend to think that those of ruling lines grow up with the mindset of legitimacy. It's an important value to them... it's not really entitlement (at least not the way i understand it).

Both Daenerys and Stannis, when talking about their right, they see it more like a burden, a duty. From Stannis we hear openly saying that he doesn't want the throne, but he has no other choice but to reclaim it. Daenerys has grown up hearing from Viserys and the cohort of hosts they had in their exile that the people of Westeros suffer under the usurper, and that they silently pray for the return of the Targaryens* to return justice to the land. Ned didn't want the throne for himself, and he knew that Stannis wasn't a good choice, but he still was going to give the throne to Stannis because he was the legitimate heir.

Legitimacy might sound like nonsense to us, but it makes a lot of sense in that world. It's like the riddle Varys told Tyrion, about the rich man, the septon, the king and the sellsword: what matters is what the sellsword believes.

*does GRRM have anything against the letter "i"? lol

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Daenarys should have thought about the consequences before she started this "free the slaves" revolution. She really is the Usurper to these people and my hope is that this experience will bring her more wisdom and help her to eventually become a better ruler. She certainly needs some help right about now. I have confidence that she will begin to make better decisions from this point forward.

I think she is slowly learning and although her desire for a slave free world are admirable someone should have said no and explained the consequences to this action because it's only causing her more of a headache and train her dragons!!! and get the other one back.

Yes, she need Ser Jorah back.

She really does.

I did love this phrase at the end of the chapter,

"When your dragons were small they were a wonder. Grown,they are death and devastation, a flaming sword above the world."

So dragons=flaming sword (aka lightbringer)

YESSSS.

Yeah, plenty of treading water.

I thought the naked sex dancers were totally over the top. I get that George is trying to evoke an alien civilization whose decadence knows no bounds, but I felt this was unrealistic and distracting.

it didn't bother me as much I think it's just another way to bring up Daario

Archived