[ADWD SPOILERS] The Lost Lord

Xray the Enforcer

Just finished this chapter. I was kinda hoping Tyrion was wrong because this is a major game changer. Although in aCoK Danys house of undying trip does have mention of a "mummers dragon" so its still possible that Young Griff is a fake or at least raised to believe he is Aegon for others (Varys, Illyrio etc) benefit even if he isn't.

Even if he's not real how would it come about? Everyone believes he is the real Aegon so for all matters and purposes he is. His father's best friend clearly believes he's the real prince, that's all the proof anyone will need.

Also, it's so nice to see Targs moving towards Westeros. About time.

Even if he's not real how would it come about? Everyone believes he is the real Aegon so for all matters and purposes he is. His father's best friend clearly believes he's the real prince, that's all the proof anyone will need.

Also, it's so nice to see Targs moving towards Westeros. About time.

Much like the false Arya?

I dunno - Dany's vision in the House of the Undying did speak of "indigo" eyes and long Targ hair...

Yeah. But there are people in Westeros that know what Arya looks like. Theon recognized fake Arya as Poole in an earlier chapter. Who could do that for Aegon?

Also, any theories on why Aegon didn't mention the part of the plan where Dany comes to the rescue? I could think of a couple but nevertheless I found it interesting that he doesn't mention Dany landing in Westeros at all.

I really like Connington as a character, he is just a grumpy soldier! I really like the detail of being haunted by the Battle of the Bells. Some really nice writing in this chapter too, I'm gutted that he has Greyscale.

Some observations from this chapter:

* Connington is always referring to Lady Lemore, rather than Septa Lemore of Tyrion's chapters. So we have a fake master-at-arms, a fake maester and a fake septa teaching Young Griff. Interesting. It also adds to the mystery of who Lemore is. I have a crazy theory that I don't want to reveal just now.

* Connington feels guilty for the downfall of the Targaryen dynasty and for the death of Princess Rhaenys. I wonder if Varys and Illyrio used this guilt in order to manipulate Connington into believing that this is the real Aegon - which Connington accepts as a way to redeem himself?

* I would be willing to bet money that at some point in the series we get a Connington chapter called 'The Shrouded Lord'

* Connington is always referring to Lady Lemore, rather than Septa Lemore of Tyrion's chapters. So we have a fake master-at-arms, a fake maester and a fake septa teaching Young Griff. Interesting. It also adds to the mystery of who Lemore is. I have a crazy theory that I don't want to reveal just now.

My instant thought from this chapter was Ashara Dayne.

And she's got stretchmarks too!

But still reading, so nothing solid to go on either way yet...

That was highly unexpected. I do think that this Aegon is Aegon. I also think he's the mummer's dragon; Varys was a mummer, but that doesn't make Aegon a fake, it makes him the mummer's dragon -- not a mummer himself.

I thought the same thing. Occam's Razor and all that.

That was highly unexpected. I do think that this Aegon is Aegon. I also think he's the mummer's dragon; Varys was a mummer, but that doesn't make Aegon a fake, it makes him the mummer's dragon -- not a mummer himself.

I really didn't think of it that way, but that's an interesting idea.

I'm still not convinced Aegon is THAT Aegon. Did anyone else notice earlier in one of Tyrion's chapters where mention was made that the Blackfyre line was extinct in the MALE line? Certainly allows for the possibility that one of the other son's mentioned in the Mystery Knight still has progeny floating around the Golden Company. Could be that Malys had a sister and that is the line Aegon comes from.

Or Varys could have orchestrated the whole thing. Still that seems fishy. You wouldn't think he and Illyrio would have allowed Dany to be sold of to Drogo if their intent was to marry her to Aegon......

Thoughts?

Marrying her off to Drogo gave them 50,000 Dothraki screamers. Thats an army. Marrying her off to Aegon gets her 3000 Golden Company soldiers. The original plan was for these Dothraki to meet the army and set sail for Westeros, but we all know what went wrong there. There are things Varys and Illyrio wouldn't anticipate. The Blackfyre line is extinct, Maelys the Monstrous was the last of the line. It's been that way for over forty years now. Either Aegon is the real deal, or he isn't.

That's true, but how do you think the great houses would react to 50,000 dothraki screamers. Not very well. The dothraki clearly did not care about Westeros anyway - i think it would be overly optimistic to believe that 50,000 of them would ever have crossed the narrow sea.

Plus in ADWD Mr. Martin makes the disiction that the male line is extinct. Not the entire line. I don't think that is a throwaway. If the line were totally wiped out I think he'd have just said the line was extinct. We know from the Dunk and Egg stories that Damon had at least two sons remaining in exile from whom Blackfyres could have descended. Malys was the last pretender - nowhere did it state he was the last Blackfyre.

I could be all wet, but I still find the distinction interesting.

One thing all of this points to is that Varys and the Martell's have not been complicit.

House Blackfyre is extinct. When the last blackfyre pretender died the house died out. Maybe I'm wrong but Aegon seems to be the real deal. He has his father's eyes, and there really isn't any way to prove he isn't Rhaegar's son. last time anyone saw him he was an infant.

I don't see Lemora being Ashara. Why would she be with these guys? Is Doran double-dealing in a way? Sending Ashara with Aegon and Quentyn to marry Dany? It just doesn't gel, unless Doran is unaware that Ashara is alive and what she's plotting.

Agreed, though, this was a great chapter and reveal. Kudos to whomever theorized way back when that Connington was still alive and in possession of baby Aegon.

Interesting thought. Yes, it works. Certainly from this chapter I got the impression that Aegon might be real.

My instant thought from this chapter was Ashara Dayne.

And she's got stretchmarks too!

But still reading, so nothing solid to go on either way yet...

I have the same suspicion, but I'm hoping I'm wrong. Ashara Dayne faking her own death to raise Rhaegar's child would be too soap opera-esque for my taste.

On another note, I love that the prince is taking Tyrion's advice and turning his sights to Westeros - any character exiting Essos makes for a positive plot development, in my view. Also, Doran Martell's reaction to a young Aegon landing on his shores would make for a great read. I hope it happens.

Archived