[ADWD SPOILERS] The Lost Lord

Xray the Enforcer

• 2 weeks later...

I read this chapter a couple of days ago but I still keep thinking about it.

I don't think that the "beware of the mummer's dragon" warning means that Aegon is a fake. For me this means that Daenerys should be carefull with Aegon because he, the dragon of the mummer Varys, is going to be a contender for the Iron Throne. It is doubtuful that the two remaining Targaryens will marry and join forces to conquer Westeros. It is more likely that a rivalry emerges between them. Regarding Aegon's "fakeness", I don't see why Rhaegar's closest friend would be running around Essos with a fake heir. It makes a lot of sence that someone switched the babies before the Mountain showed up to do the killing. For 5 books we have been reading about Rhaegar's awesomeness and it just seems like a waste that his bloodline would die with him.

This said, there are two things that are really bugging me about this new found Targaryen (although I was suspecting that he was alive since book 1):

1) If Illirio and Varys knew about his existance (I believe at least one of them was involved in his rescue), why would they put their hopes in Viserys and Daenerys? Aegon is the one with Rhaegar's blood, the last dragon's blood, so why not work to get him an army. Furthermore, why give the dragon eggs to Dany and not to Aegon? Who should have higher change to hatch them: Rhaegar's son or the Mad King's daughter? I am convinced that Illiryo knew what the eggs could do and that he didn't give them to Dany just for decoration.

2) In this chapter we are told that Aegon is 18, which makes him a couple of years older than Dany, Robb and Jon. However, while the three of them are leading armies, ruling and proving themselves time after time, Aegon seems to be a lot less mature and behaves like a kid. He is schooled by a septa and a maester and does pretty much what he is told. Also, when they were attacked in the river, he needs Tyrion to save him? And during the previous attack, he is told to go hide and he does it. There is no way that Robb, Jon or Dany would hide when under attack. Jon killed a white walker when he was 15!

Anyway, I hope that we can see more of Aegon in further chapters and that he will be just as great as I imagine Rhaegar's son to be. I have a simular problem with Gendry, where I spent the whole ACoK and half the ASoS hoping that he would do something amazing, but he just turned out to be Arya's travel companion.

• 1 month later...

I read this chapter a couple of days ago but I still keep thinking about it.

I don't think that the "beware of the mummer's dragon" warning means that Aegon is a fake. For me this means that Daenerys should be carefull with Aegon because he, the dragon of the mummer Varys, is going to be a contender for the Iron Throne. It is doubtuful that the two remaining Targaryens will marry and join forces to conquer Westeros. It is more likely that a rivalry emerges between them. Regarding Aegon's "fakeness", I don't see why Rhaegar's closest friend would be running around Essos with a fake heir. It makes a lot of sence that someone switched the babies before the Mountain showed up to do the killing. For 5 books we have been reading about Rhaegar's awesomeness and it just seems like a waste that his bloodline would die with him.

This said, there are two things that are really bugging me about this new found Targaryen (although I was suspecting that he was alive since book 1):

1) If Illirio and Varys knew about his existance (I believe at least one of them was involved in his rescue), why would they put their hopes in Viserys and Daenerys? Aegon is the one with Rhaegar's blood, the last dragon's blood, so why not work to get him an army. Furthermore, why give the dragon eggs to Dany and not to Aegon? Who should have higher change to hatch them: Rhaegar's son or the Mad King's daughter? I am convinced that Illiryo knew what the eggs could do and that he didn't give them to Dany just for decoration.

2) In this chapter we are told that Aegon is 18, which makes him a couple of years older than Dany, Robb and Jon. However, while the three of them are leading armies, ruling and proving themselves time after time, Aegon seems to be a lot less mature and behaves like a kid. He is schooled by a septa and a maester and does pretty much what he is told. Also, when they were attacked in the river, he needs Tyrion to save him? And during the previous attack, he is told to go hide and he does it. There is no way that Robb, Jon or Dany would hide when under attack. Jon killed a white walker when he was 15!

Anyway, I hope that we can see more of Aegon in further chapters and that he will be just as great as I imagine Rhaegar's son to be. I have a simular problem with Gendry, where I spent the whole ACoK and half the ASoS hoping that he would do something amazing, but he just turned out to be Arya's travel companion.

I agree with you about everything!

Also find it intriguing why would V&I invest on Dany and Viserys, if they had a Targ with a better claim in hands... And he's even older than Dany, so supposedly, should be more ready to take charge...

And talking about his age, I also questioned that... I guess maturity doesn't necessarily come with age. Viserys wasn't mature at all...

I'm also kind of curious to see how the TV show is going to deal with these age questions (if they ever get to this book). Because Jon is supposed to be younger than Aegon, but to put an older actor to play Aegon would kind of ruin the hole thing, I think...

I'm excited about this plot so far!

• 6 months later...

Omg who knew. Aegon is actually alive? And all the happenings across the narrow sea. Dany with Meeren and Quentyn AND Aegon wanting to merry her. Who will succeed tho? I personaly pray for Aegon, a good-old Targaryen marriage.

Altho I am a huge Dorne and Martell fan, so, kinda difficult. But I think she won't marry neither. Dany always strikes me as a version of Elizabeth I. Strong, smart, single and childless.

• 4 months later...

Why didn't griff just chop that 2 fingers off?

Thought the same thing while reading that.

Overall amazing chapter i found it funny when Aegon stepped up, and almost repeated what tyrion told him about going to westeros and not go begging for a marriage with dany.

• 3 weeks later...

Did anyone else get the feeling that this sudden appearance of Aegon is GRRM 'jumping the shark' a little bit. It might be just be me not reading into things within the previous books or the fact that I found out who Young Griff actually was before I started reading, but there was no lead up to it. He just appeared as a new contender for the Iron Throne. It would have been better if there was some mystery behind Aegon Targaryen e.g. a back ground character who was in the Red Keep before SoKL swears he saw Aegon being carried out by a person, but something like that. Then that creates a mystery to the character, rather than him quite obviously been kill, oh he's actually alive.

It might be just me I know, but did anyone else get that feeling?

Archived