[ADWD SPOILERS] The Wayward Bride

Xray the Enforcer

Oh, whoops, I should take my time with it and read more carefully, I wasn't sure if she was just passing out from loss of blood, or dead.

Plus big deal if she's dead, dead doesn't mean a whole lot anymore.

Edit: reread that bit and I'm sure she survived. All the ending of the chapter says is that Stannis's men were the attackers.

I loved this chapter, really made up for the awful Asha chapter from AFFC.

I really don't think that she is dead though, I mean, a new storyline has just started about raising Theon to the Seastone Chair! I loved the flashback of Asha and Qarl and the Peach. Peaches seem to be around for all the poignant moments of the series!

Excellent! One of my favourites so far.

She can't be dead. I don't think GRRM ever leaves any doubt as to whether a POV is dead or not.

Eddard: decapitated

Catelyn: throat cut

Soiled Knight: decapitated

Also, all the prologue/epilogue POVs are pretty clearly dead by the final line of their chapter. In case of Asha it's too easy to think she's knocked out and realizes that it's Stannis's men attacking her as her last thought. My guess is, she's not dead and will somehow join with Theon as per her plan to void Moot's decision.

She can't be dead. I don't think GRRM ever leaves any doubt as to whether a POV is dead or not.

Eddard: decapitated

Catelyn: throat cut

Soiled Knight: decapitated

Well, the cases of Davos and Theon at the end of ACOK, or Brienne at the end of AFFC gave lots of doubts. Unless you are saying that true "deaths" are always unappealable. Which could be quite right.

Was no-one else outraged by the very sexist way in which Martin wrote about the rape scene?

How was it sexist?

It wasn't real rape anyway. It was a rape fantasy. Some game the two play together. Or at least that's what I got out of it.

Was no-one else outraged by the very sexist way in which Martin wrote about the rape scene?

I didn't get that at all, nor do I think that's what was intended.

As to whether she is alive or not -- right now I'm still on the fence and I think it could go either way.

And finally, finally a chapter with sentient trees! Arboreal attack! Even a fighting shrubbery.

I knew Martin was keeping this narrative ace up his sleeve for all these years. The last two-and-a-half books will see a complete dominance of all kinds of souled plants.

A Walz with Willows

An Allemande with Ahorn

A Quickstep with Quinces

Well, Greenseers made the trees attack right? Go Bloodraven! And go Hillmen!

Asha, captive in Stannis's hands and wanting to free Reek. Should be a nice arc there. Likely there won't be enough of Theon left to assume the throne, but it could still help Asha's case.

About the 'play rape' scene, I'd agree that it was a bit questionable. IMHO GRRM either highlights (mayhap somewhat truthfully) or fetishizes rape quite a bit which is enough of a question. But to make the reader assume she was 'asking for it' before they knew she was? He does like to provide hints before the details though so that is his MO. Jury's out.

Re the scene:

I felt a bit uncomfortable about the scene, mostly because it came out of nowhwere and because we only got that Asha was aroused way into the scene. Since she was the POV character, her physical reaction shouldn't have come that late. If she had been thrilled in an exciting way right from the start, it would have been more obvious that it was a fantasy. Women can feel adrenalin surges as well ;).

Well, obviously, she probably was aroused earlier than George let on - its called artistic license. He's playing with our expectations.

Yes, but that also can make the scene somewhat uncomfortable to read.

If the clans that Stannis has raised fight so poorly and are armoured so badly, then R'hllor help him when he has to fight Roose!

I suspect that Asha is alive, but I kind of hope that in terms of the story that she's dead. I loved her as a character, but having her as a captive holds no leverage with Euron, and I really don't see how Theon is psychologically capable of holding any type of position of power in the future, so both of those storylines seem like dead ends. And to be honest, I think we got more than enough of the Ironborn's internal politics in AFFC. :leaving:

I also just checked a map and if Stannis is still planning on marching for the Dreadfort, then he pretty much has to go via Winterfell. I wonder if he'll dispatch a garrison to the castle and start rebuilding as a base of his power, or whether he's content to leave it for ruins at the moment.

Archived