[ADWD SPOILERS] Davos 4

Xray the Enforcer

GRRM's been prepping Skaagos for a while. Hopefully Davos spreads some revenge for Skane!! lol

It makes sense for Osha to head there, to hide from Man and flee the Others (I've wondered why everyone just doesn't head there during the Long Night), but it seems implausible that they actually made it (through Bolton and Umber territory), and that Wex followed them to the shore, knew they were going to the island and then made it all the ways south to White Harbor passing through Karstarck and Bolton lands.

Wex is an amazing Mute, I guess not having to provide energy for his tongue means he doesn't have to eat while marching solo and is also therefore silent enough to hide from Shaggy?

Anyone else think that civilized Manderly isn't going to like what the liege lord he gets in the Dread Feral-Wildling-Cannibal-Warg-Unicorn Riding Rickon!! Bend the knee? No Ser, bare the neck.

So we finally see Glover, emerged from the swamps.. Any ideas on Maege and Robb's letter?

I remember reading catelyns chapter in White Harbor from the first book, after she gets back from the eyrie by ship from Gulltown. She lands in White Harbor and easily convinces the Manderlys to join Robb's forces. At the time they really seemed like nice decent people, although she describes all 3 Manderlys as very fat. So i was genuinely puzzled by his reaction in the previous chapter

I forget if he mentioned it, but why does Manderly call Rickon his Lord? If he knows Rickon is alive, he knows Bran is alive. And older.

Because it is not publicly known that either of them are alive. If he is only able to produce Rickon (which he is, since Wex does not see where Bran goes), then he would need the public to believe that only Rickon is alive, and his liege lord, else it would be pointless.

ie. If they can't find Bran, then Rickon needs to be the only one alive as far as the public is concerned for him (and therefore Manderly) to have any real claim to the North.

In this series, people often lie for their own benefit (knowing it's a lie) but then talk as if it were truth - Tyrion calling himself a Kingslayer, Cersei with her plots, Sansa as Alayne etc.

The only end that lying to Davos would serve would be if Davos/Stannis doesn't suspect that one of the other 4 Wex saw are Bran. If he were going to lie, why risk bringing Wex in there? Just tell him Rickon is alive and on Skagos and go get him.

I don't think he's lying to Davos intentionally (as you say, it would be pointless as he would find out) - He just intends to let "the North" and everyone who's not in on the scheme believe that Rickon is the heir to Winterfell, to strengthen his claim.

And he just speaks to Davos as if it's actually the truth because it's something we commonly see in these books.

Because it is not publicly known that either of them are alive. If he is only able to produce Rickon (which he is, since Wex does not see where Bran goes), then he would need the public to believe that only Rickon is alive, and his liege lord, else it would be pointless.

ie. If they can't find Bran, then Rickon needs to be the only one alive as far as the public is concerned for him (and therefore Manderly) to have any real claim to the North.

In this series, people often lie for their own benefit (knowing it's a lie) but then talk as if it were truth - Tyrion calling himself a Kingslayer, Cersei with her plots, Sansa as Alayne etc.

I don't think it matters really. The reason he calls Rickon his liege lord, and wants him returned, is because he knows where he is.

He knows Bran left Winterfell alive, but doesn't know where he went. It doesn't matter if Bran and Rickon are both alive. They are both Stark heirs. If he can find one, that one has the claim. If Bran later shows up, so be it. But Manderly doesn't know where to look for Bran.

He doesn't need to lie, or pretend that Rickon's the only one alive.

I suppose it's possible that Osha and Rickon made their way to White Harbor first and then, for whatever reason, set sail for Skagos. Wex, presumably, overhears them making their travel arrangements. It sounds a bit roundabout but it would explain why Wex was in White Harbor and it does have them, at least initially, taking Maester Luwin's advice.

Either that or Wex overheard Maester Luwin's advice and just made for White Harbor without actually following them and is making up the Skagos destination for his own ends. Perhaps he's just preserving his life and playing for time.

The mind reels.

Awesome chapter! Probably my favorite up to now.

What really chilled me to the bones was not Manderly's "The north remembers" line (though that was very good), but another: "I have a wedding to attend". The implications are staggering. I guess we can look forward to what I would call "the fishy wedding", or maybe the "lamprey wedding". :)

To further that theory, I suspect what Melisandre told Jon in the previous chapter about "Arya" (Jeyne) coming to the wall on a dying horse (or some such) was true and prophetic. I guess it's the aftermath of said wedding, where Jeyne mangages to escape while the rest... well let's just say "lamprey pie".

Man, I'm so looking forward to that. I guess it's all happening in a Reek POV, as he's the only POV we have that should be near the action. Can't wait! :)

Still the question remains,how did a wildling woman and a boy manage to get to Skagos with its treacherous shores and all?

This should be interesting when/if GRRM explains how they manage in The Winds of Winter (assuming we don't learn by the end of the book). He's said that he's giong to give Osha more of a character since having been inspired by Natalia Tena's portrayal of Osha in the HBO series.

Ok Davos delivering Rickon to the Stark loyalists was not something I would have guessed was going to come out of his trip in a million tries. Well done Mr. Martin.

There are so many twists and turns in this book it makes it hard for me to say what the overarching plot is. Every chapter it seems something crazy happens.

Archived