[ADWD SPOILERS] Melisandre 1

Xray the Enforcer

I really liked the fact that she kept Devan behind because Davos had already lost enough sons, showed a touch of humanity to a character that I didn't expect to have any.

The girl heading to the Wall definitely won't be Arya, I do expect it to be Jeyne Poole especially with the line about her staying away from towns incase she is being hunted, like we know Ramsay loves to do. Although would he really do that with his wife and risk the North turning on him because of who she is supposed to be? I don't know. I kind of hope the earlier theory in this thread is correct and it's Maege Mormont with Robb's letter, that would be really amazing.

• 4 weeks later...

I just finished reading this chapter and I was happy to get her POV. Just to see who she really is.aaannndd I almost liked her but I told myself I cannot because its bad enough I like Jaime now and I have started to feel bad for Theon. However, the mance/rattleshirt thing..I kind of rolled my eyes. I just don't know what to think any more. My only concern is I know I wont get any answers to any of this till the last book. So my heart is always heavy.

on a side note I thought Coldhands was Ned Stark . When Bran mentioned the scarf around his neck I thought maybe it was holding his head there. I figured why not since theres been alot of people coming back to life. But I knew that was wrong...a mother can dream.

I really liked the fact that she kept Devan behind because Davos had already lost enough sons, showed a touch of humanity to a character that I didn't expect to have any.

I think it's interesting that you mentioned this as a sign of her showing humanity in this chapter. This looked a lot more like Melisandre's control over Davos as he only has Devan and the sons at home left. Davos has never truly trusted Mel so it would make sense that she would want to have one of his last sons in her power as an ace in the hole if need be.

• 2 months later...

Maybe someone can help me with this , i'm probably reading a lot into something that isn't there;but i get the feeling from Mel's POV that she has a thing for Jon. Something she said about "he will never love me, but he will come to need me" i maybe saying it all wrong. What do you guys think?

I really hated the way Mance went out earlier, seemingly out of character, but since Jon watched it while we were in his POV, I couldn't come up with any real theory as to why that wasn't Mance.

This works for me.

I'm also a little surprised that Melisandre actually believes her shit, but I kinda figured it could go that way when her chapter was first announced.

As for the grey girl running north...

Asha, Jeyne, Shireen are all possibilities. But the first person who came to my mind wasn't a girl, but a woman... Maege Mormont, with Robb's letter.

catelyn with her throat cut

• 4 weeks later...

I just finished reading this chapter and I was happy to get her POV. Just to see who she really is.aaannndd I almost liked her but I told myself I cannot because its bad enough I like Jaime now and I have started to feel bad for Theon. However, the mance/rattleshirt thing..I kind of rolled my eyes. I just don't know what to think any more. My only concern is I know I wont get any answers to any of this till the last book. So my heart is always heavy.

on a side note I thought Coldhands was Ned Stark . When Bran mentioned the scarf around his neck I thought maybe it was holding his head there. I figured why not since theres been alot of people coming back to life. But I knew that was wrong...a mother can dream.

Everytime Coldhands appears, it makes me think about Benjen Stark, not Ned, i don't see how it could be him.

Also, someone talked about Maege Mormont carrying Robb's letter, when did that happen, what was that letter about? I don't remember.

• 1 month later...

@Just so, Stoneheart heading for the wall? :stunned:

@ ImplicationsUnpleasant, In ASOS shortly before the RW, Robb talks to Catelyn about naming an heir. He seems pretty set on Jon. The next thing we know a letter has been signed and sealed by Robb and his lords. When Robb goes to the Twins, Maege Mormont and... yeah somebody else I can't remember is sent with the letter to go into the bogs and find the crannogmen. We do not know what happened to them.

The Mance/Rattleshirt thing, did not expect that. But I definitely thought there was something off about the fight with Jon. Anyways, that is one pretty substantial power Melisandre is using there, alot of heavy magic coming into play in the books.

Surprised to see that Melisandre is actually more what she seems to be, and she actually believes in Stannis as the Harbinger! I do agree with the one who said having a Mel POV kind of takes some of the mystery out of the whole affair, though ultimately I am not bothered. In GRRM we trust ... :bowdown:...

Also it seems as though she is not picking up on Daenerys at all ? Although she is evidently picking up on dragons.

No clue what the two towers might be, interesting with the Pyke theory though.

Some theories here on who the girl might be. I dont know but if it turns out to be Maege Mormont I'll be happy :wideeyed: .. I picked up on the thing with the fingerbones right away, and it brought me of course to Davos. There's something there I am sure.

• 1 month later...

Loved the bit about the snow melting beneath her footsteps as she walked with Jon

Ye loved how she cared if jon noticed.

Very amazing chapter very short but that was constant very good stuff. Love it GRRM, Hope she gets at least 1 more chapter in Wow

I think it's interesting that you mentioned this as a sign of her showing humanity in this chapter. This looked a lot more like Melisandre's control over Davos as he only has Devan and the sons at home left. Davos has never truly trusted Mel so it would make sense that she would want to have one of his last sons in her power as an ace in the hole if need be.

Possible, but the tone of her thoughts doesn't imply that at all. Worth mentioning that this isn't a second hand account of what someone did, or Melisandre explaining herself to someone else, where lies and half truths are always there. She thinks to herself that Devan was safer with her than with the King, and that while Davos wouldn't thank her for it, it seemed to her he had suffered enough grief. For it to turn out that she did this solely to keep a hold over Davos would, to me, do serious harm to the books in general, as it would force us to question every single thing people even think to themselves. Questioning second hand information or assuming lies when spoken to another character is part of what makes the books great, but when a point of view character thinks something to themselves, I think we have to take it at least somewhat at face value. They may not reveal everything (such as Ned never outright thinking that Jon is or is not his biological son), but they don't outright lie to themselves (short of obvious self delusions). It's not out of the question Mel had multiple reasons for keeping Devan back, but I would be really annoyed if it turned out she lied in her thoughts about wanting to keep Devan safe because Davos had suffered enough. That's a fourth wall breaking "I'm gonna fool the readers!" tactic.

• 8 months later...

My crackpot theory is that AA = J + D in some fashion... you need Ice (Jon) and Fire (Dany) for the mojo. If it's not that, it's probably Dany.

I was actually surprised that Melisandre honestly thinks Stannis is AA, I thought she was riding on more bullshit than that.

If Jon is actually the son of Lyanna and Rhaegar then he already is fire and ice. Lyanna - ice, Rhaegar - fire.... duh...There would be no need for Dany in this AA buisness...

P.S. I realize I am responding to a 2 year old comment.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still missing something. Wasn't Mance/Rattleshirt burned by Stannis/Melisandra so they could acquire his "Kings Blood" somehow? If so, why do the switch? Seems like Mance is now going to go on an excursion to find the "girl on the horse" but what if Melisandra never saw that? What would Mance be doing? Still in disguise?

I guess what I'm getting at is what was the point in keeping Mance alive in the first place?

Archived