[ADWD SPOILERS] Reek 3

Xray the Enforcer

So, it appears that Roose Bolton really IS a human being. Who'da thunk it.....

Yeah, which makes his betrayal of Robb all the more painful. He seems to really despise Ramsay, but having the bastard legitimized was one of his main motivations for the Red Wedding wasn't it? Or did we get a better explanation of his motives and I've just forgotten?

Man having hated Theon since the end of aCoK his chapters have really got me to feel for the guy. I actually really hope he ends up getting some redemption at some point.

Edit:

Also forgot to mention my love for the Manderly ploy to the Boltons/Freys this chapter.

"oops they must have gotten lost on the Road" :rofl:

Between Lady Stonehearts gang and the Manderlys it would seem more and more Freys are going "disappear" :fencing:

Yeah, I think he is. Poor guy -- I thought before that he would be the next Lord of the Isles with the support of Asha, Damphair, and Victarion. I'm not so sure anymore.

The Theon chapters are really difficult to read, but they are extremely well written!

The Roose/Ramsay conversation was filled with a loathing that we haven't really achieved in the book before. These two men need each other but they hate each other. When Roose says that he wished he hadn't raped Ramsay's mother, my stomach turned a little bit. I really don't know which of the men I loathe more.

I am growing quite fond of Lady Dustin though, especially with the things that Roose tells Ramsay about her.

I agree, I think that Theon has been gelded - meaning that if Asha is pregnant with Qarl's child, she didn't have time to brew the tea in 'The Wayward Bride', then that child would be heir to the Isles.

Is there any info on the original Reek's origin? I'm starting to think he was actually Bolton's legitimate son.

From what I recall, the original Reek is dead -- Ramsay took over his persona after it happened. (Of course now, Ramsay is all that so loving bestowed the name 'Reek' on Theon).

This chapter has me suspecting that Roose might have figured Arya out. The m'lord/my lord distinction matters and having looked at some Arya ACOK chapters, she addresses him as "my lord". Roose would have been cunning enough to solve what missing highborn girl would have fit her description. He likely didn't do anything so as to keep his prize if he needed her, without letting anyone else know about her.

Yeah, which makes his betrayal of Robb all the more painful. He seems to really despise Ramsay, but having the bastard legitimized was one of his main motivations for the Red Wedding wasn't it? Or did we get a better explanation of his motives and I've just forgotten?

There has been an age-long often resurfacing conflict between the Starks and Boltons over supremacy over the North. That was the main motive. I don't think Roose particularly wanted Ramsay legitimized, but he had to to even be able to cross Moat Cailin. To some degree, he also had to support the story of what had happened at Winterfell.

This chapter has me suspecting that Roose might have figured Arya out. The m'lord/my lord distinction matters and having looked at some Arya ACOK chapters, she addresses him as "my lord". Roose would have been cunning enough to solve what missing highborn girl would have fit her description. He likely didn't do anything so as to keep his prize if he needed her, without letting anyone else know about her.

I assumed Roose was told originally.

A fantastic chapter! Finally, after so many years we get up and close with Roose Bolton, Lord of the Dreadfort and Warden of the North.

I loved the bit of history we got of Roose and of Domeric. Is it just me or does Domeric sound like a rather likeable fellow, completely unlike a Bolton?

Anyhow, one thing I really disliked was the fact that Roose Bolton committed a rape. That is really out of character IMO. I mean, Roose is a cultured fellow. He likes Hippocras, for crying out loud, instead of ale. He should be above such base impulses.

But anyway, I liek the tension between him and Ramsay, though I kinda felt sorry for Roose, him knowing that all his trueborn sons will be killed by his bastard. Why is he so against boy Lords anyway? Is it because of Robb, that Robb was a boy Lord and got his House wiped out due in part to his boyhood foolishness?

But Ned Stark was also scarcely a boy when he took up arms against the Mad King, and his house prospered as a result.

I hope there are many more such moments with Roose in this book.

Actually felt quite embarrassed at the noise I made when I read "If she pops out sons like she pops in tarts, the Dreadfort will soon be overrun with Boltons" - what a line! Roose Bolton is a great character, although he seems very conflicted- how can he sympathise with Theon and detest Ramsay so much when he has no issues with the Freys or his involvement in the Red Wedding? I get that if you flay people you're probably not a gentle soul but he also seems so laid back- he clearly knows Manderly is up to something and doesn't know how many of his bannermen are aligning with White Harbor, but doesn't seem terribly worried about it all- he almost seems like he understands their move and thinks it's justified? At the very least, he doesn't seem to begrudge them the fact that they all can't be trusted.

On a different note, Reek is just SO tragic- for me this is possibly the best arc of the book, just for how well all of his chapters are written. I only really care about the Boltons as the other side of the eventual Northern uprising, and I don't think I'd ever be able to buy Theon as a 'redeemed' character, but it's tough to feel anything except awful for him.

Archived