First few chapters of Audio Book (Dany + Melisandre) voice change

Dante

I strongly disagree with all of you who are criticizing Roy Dotrice. I think his audiobook readings of ASoIaF are an amazing body of work, my only worry is at his age he may not be around to record the last two books. I think he has done a FANTASTIC job with so many characters and listen to his recordings over and over.

I agree that the change of voices for Arya and Dany in Books 4 and 5 were a bit unsettling...they sound too "cockney" and differ greatly from how they sounded in the earlier books. That led me to believe that he was changing their voices to go from Arya and Dany being younger girls to slightly older girls, more womanly. But they should have sounded more high born as well.

As far as Melisandre goes, I think he does a great job with her as well. Don't diss my Roy Dotrice - I love the guy and his audiobooks!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I've just started listening to the Dance with Dragons audiobook and Dotrice's changed accent is driving me CRAZY. I'm one of the apparent few who preferred John Lee, but I could deal with Dotrice before. Now? That offensive horrible pseudo-Welsh bullsh*t accent that he used to use for Tyrion has migrated over to Dany as well! I can't stand it! I love audiobooks as background noise, but this one is bordering on unacceptably irritating.

I think it might be a good idea to organize a fan version of the audiobooks, with a single reader for each point of view. That might make accents more consistent within a character, and it would also allow for women to read the parts of the female characters! I'd also be thrilled if Random House put that together, but I doubt they'd be willing to do so, since they've already spent the production costs for Dotrice to re-read A Feast for Crows.

I thought roy was great and very consistent in 1-3, but 4+5 are getting out of hand. the worst, imo, is roy's change of LF in affc. a completely different character from all 3 previous books. dany and arya are also annoying, i don't mind the change to mel as much.

I think it might be a good idea to organize a fan version of the audiobooks, with a single reader for each point of view. That might make accents more consistent within a character, and it would also allow for women to read the parts of the female characters! I'd also be thrilled if Random House put that together, but I doubt they'd be willing to do so, since they've already spent the production costs for Dotrice to re-read A Feast for Crows.

i think that would be a good way to get sued.

• 5 months later...

In the early seventies I saw Roy in his one man show, Brief Lives. A truly wonderful performance, combining humour, pathos and tragedy. Definitely one of the best half dozen British actors, along with Ken Branagh, Patrick Stewart , Hugh Laurie etc.

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

English is not my first language, so few people I know also listened to the audiobooks. It is nice to read that other people found the changes weird as well.

Dotrice does a great job, of course (like someone said here, many of the voices he gave to the characters are excellent: the Lannisters, Davos, Arya...), but it was hard getting used to the changes in the last book.

And I have to say did, in the end, at least to some extent. Melisandre's and Dany's voices were definitely the worse. But most of all Dany's.

I'm not sure if anyone here has noticed that as well (though I think you have, for I can see you're all very mindful of details), but I even missed the way he voiced Patch Face songs in the first books. I liked a lot the way Dotrice sang the "I knooow, ho ho ho" part of Patch Face' songs, when the character sang one of his frightful prophecies. I think Dotrice made it kind of funny and also creepy, just like the real Patch Face's little songs would have been. But that changed in the last book.

Archived