[ADWD Spoilers] p. 3-111 UK HC (incl. Jon II)

Doran

I thought I'd set up a summary thread for discussion of the first 100 pages, "rounding up" to the next chapter ending. So this includes the prologue, Tyrion I, Dany I, Jon I, Bran I, Tyrion II, "Merchant's Man" I, Jon II.

Mod edit: Please, no spoilers for future chapters of the book.

I like the book a lot so far. Even though I kind of knew most of the chapters already as previews from GRRM's web page or in summaries from readings, the feeling is so different now. Having the actual book in my hands, knowing any small detail may become relevant for the next chapter and already seeing some crossreferences (Summer meeting Varamyr in his second-life incarnation) is immensely satisfying. Most of all, up to now, it's just the good feeling of being back with these characters.

What do you say? And at which speed are you going to continue? Personally, I'm aiming for a 100 pages per day (I somehow must get some work done, but I already this is going to be hard).

I'll probably get about 100 pages a day as well. The book is too heavy for me to carry on my commute, so I'm left to read in the early AM and after I get home from work.

So shall we try to form a little reading group? Reading up to the next 100 pages mark and share impressions and insights here the next day? I cannot read during work, but I can fire out posts to the forum :)

I just flipped forward, trying to find POVs without reading anything else. Result: in my UK hardcover a Davos chapter ends on page 202. That's what I'm at least trying to get to tonight.

The tone of the first 100 pages is excellent, it feels good to be back with all of these characters that we haven't been with for so long. I love the slow pace, it feels very much like AFFC at this point with a focus on character development rather than plot.

I have read up to Davos 1 so far, and already the book is better than Feast (though I miss the Cersei chapters).. And that's even when I have already read summary's of most of these chapters due to the spoiler forum over the past couple of years. In fact, Quentyn's chapter was the only real new chapter to me.

Still, loving it so far. I actually read it at work as well. :)

So shall we try to form a little reading group? Reading up to the next 100 pages mark and share impressions and insights here the next day? I cannot read during work, but I can fire out posts to the forum :)

I just flipped forward, trying to find POVs without reading anything else. Result: in my UK hardcover a Davos chapter ends on page 202. That's what I'm at least trying to get to tonight.

I'll try to keep up, but this weekend I'm going to be at Readercon so I might have to catch y'all on the other side. :)

This is exactly where im upto after my first nights reading though I doubt I can keep up the pace.

So far the book is great and a few places have me puzzled aswell. I did like the comparison between Bran using Hodor and the prologue where this is laid out as being ethically wrong. Coldhands was creepy in this chapter too and I am intrigued as to his real identity.

Jon's chapter was a nice recap of events at the wall and I enjoyed seeing his perspective.

Dany's chapter i liked less so and the bit at the end with the bones seemed to have less shock on her part than I would have liked.

Tyrion was too busy moping although he has a lot to mope about, and the insights into varys' past were good.

I also have no idea what Quentyn will do maybe they plan to steal a boat?

Archived