[ADwD Spoilers] Updating the Citadel

Linda

Reading through the dreams/prophecy sections. Shouldn't we consider Bran's ability to interact with the past in some visions (helping Jon warg, for example)? I mean, didn't Ned show signs of hearing Bran's words in one of the weirwood sights?

Any references to the Targaryen family tree need to be updated with Aemond, brother of Aegon II, and the three sons of Aegon V. Plus anything else that I have not yet come across in a DwD.

Speaking of the Targaryan family tree- think we can now safely assume that Aegon was NOT married to one of his sisters?

Reading through the dreams/prophecy sections. Shouldn't we consider Bran's ability to interact with the past in some visions (helping Jon warg, for example)? I mean, didn't Ned show signs of hearing Bran's words in one of the weirwood sights?

Sort of- but- Bloodraven implied that all they can do is observe the past. I don't think he can change events. I also think that Ned always heard the whisper, since for a tree, time isn't linear.

I think it's unclear whether Bloodraven realizes you can interact with people in the present, like Bran did with Theon. He said you can't interact with the past but I don't think he clarified about the present.

I'm not sure if Bran is more powerful than Bloodraven thinks a greenseer can be, or if Bloodraven knows you can talk (however subtly) with people in the present.

LOVE the Citadel. You guys do awesome work.

One thought I had to contribute - when discussing Young Griff in the inevitable "Aegon - Real or Fake" article, don't forget to include Illyrio's description of what he and Varys "do".

Varys spied on lesser thieves and took their takings. I offered my help to their victims, promising to recover their valuables for a fee. Soon every man who had suffered a loss knew to come to me, whilst the city's footpads and cutpurses sought out Varys...half to slit his throat, the other half to sell him what they'd stolen. We both grew rich and richer still when Varys trained his mice

They basically con both sides by being in the middle. To me this is kind of what they are doing now - Varys has stolen the Targaryen heir(s) out of KL (I bet he had some involvement with helping Viserys and his pregnant Mom smuggled out to Dragonstone) and Illyrio is helping sell the stolen 'goods' back to those who were robbed - the people of Westeros. Both stand to profit enormously. However, in Illyrio's tale there is no mention of counterfeit - they bartered in the real thing. I think GRRM is giving a clue here about Aegon's legitimacy. As to why keep Aegon separate from Vis & Dany all this time, two reaasons:

1) Always good to have a failsafe plan.

2) Ser Willem Darry (if I'm remembering the name) took V&D from Dragonstone - I would imagine that means they were out of Varys/Illyrio's control for a time until Darry died and Viserys begged his way to Pentos. So there may have only been a Plan A (Aegon) at first.

This raises the question that maybe (probably) Viserys was the backup plan (and, if you knew both youths, wouldn't you back Aegon over Viserys?). Sooooo, why give the dragon eggs to Dany? Maybe because no one really knew they could potentially hatch and Illyrio just though they would be a nice gift.

I think it's unclear whether Bloodraven realizes you can interact with people in the present, like Bran did with Theon. He said you can't interact with the past but I don't think he clarified about the present.

I'm not sure if Bran is more powerful than Bloodraven thinks a greenseer can be, or if Bloodraven knows you can talk (however subtly) with people in the present.

Well considering that Bloodraven was apparently manipulating the present by sending the three-eyed crow to Bran during his coma and after, I'd say he knows.

Good job on updating the prophecies section, appreciated. I'd be interested in seeing a video of you guys discussing your take on what the prophecies may mean post-ADWD, as Linda hinted in your last video.

Why is not Marwyn in ADwD?

By that I meant Marwyn the Mage, an archmaester of the Citadel.

At the end of FoC he's off to find Daenerys Targaryen... yet he's not even mentioned in ADwD!

Edited by boojam

By that I meant Marwyn the Mage, an archmaester of the Citadel.

At the end of FoC he's off to find Daenerys Targaryen... yet he's not even mentioned in ADwD!

Probably has to do with the other 3 being way ahead, or maybe something happened involving Sam and Marwyn. Tyrion took off during the end of ASOS, Quentyn took off probably at the beginning of AFFC and Victorian probably left around the middle of AFFC.

Probably has to do with the other 3 being way ahead, or maybe something happened involving Sam and Marwyn. Tyrion took off during the end of ASOS, Quentyn took off probably at the beginning of AFFC and Victorian probably left around the middle of AFFC.

If you look at the timeline, Marwyn left very very late - half a year after Victorian, 3/4 year after Tyrion.

So after Victorian's been in Slaver's Bay for half a year, that's about when Marwyn will show up (if his ship survives.)

Now that the new book has been devoured comes the next phase for myself and Ran: updating the Citadel. This time around, we thought we'd solicit a little bit of input to make sure we didn't miss any crucial updates.

CONCORDANCE: Updated through AFfC and parts of TMK. There's not really much input needed for this, its just a matter of Ran going page-by-page.

FAQ: Which sections need to be updated and do we need to add any? I've already noted down the following for updating (and possibly removal in some cases):

What happened at Summerhall?, What happened when during Robert's Rebellion?, Is Aegon Dead?, Is Davos Dead? (possibly remove altogether), Is Gregor Dead?, Is Brienne Dead? (possibly remove altogether), Who are Jon Snow's parents? Who is the Prince that was Promised/Azor Ahai reborn? Who is Coldhands? Who is the false Arya?

For additions, I am thinking a "who am I" for the knight that Queen Rhaella had a thing for. I know we also asked in the past about collecting the various homages, and we'll try to get that in as a topic too, so any new ones from ADwD would go there.

HERALDRY: The summaries of house histories and current events for houses & house members are lagging a bit behind, but Ran will try to do all the remaining updates in one go for each house. As with the Concordance, not really possible with any input until he's gone through it once.

PROPHECIES: We've already started adding in prophecies from ADwD, but take a look at the page in a day or two and see if we've missed any. We're also going back and adding D&E prophecies.

I'm speechless to give thanks you and Ran for the dedication the update. I'm Brazilian and here in Brazil we only have to book 2, I so love ASoIaF , I read the other books in Spanish and English, the book comes out this year number 3 in Portuguese (too late). And as I have not read in my language, for some things I need help, "Westeros" is part of my life, I could not understand many things if had not been for you guys, and also could not bear to wait for ADwD. I understand many things because "Westeros" and I am very grateful for your work, while this I'm trying to get a book from Portugal which will be translated into Portuguese ADwD in September.

Have the spoilers to know what's in ADwD, is comforting, all these years waiting after AFFC.

Thank you so much.

Kisses from Brazil :love:

Edited by nina

LOVE the Citadel. You guys do awesome work.

Both stand to profit enormously. However, in Illyrio's tale there is no mention of counterfeit - they bartered in the real thing. I think GRRM is giving a clue here about Aegon's legitimacy. As to why keep Aegon separate from Vis & Dany all this time, two reaasons:

Sorry, but I did not understand.

What kind of clue?

Moqorro's prophcy about th Kraken - since it has only one eye, I suspect it's Euron rather than Victarion.

I really don't think so, If you look at the description of the greenseer with the one red eye and the tree roots weaving in and out of his body, it's a pretty close description of Moqorro's vision. I think the sea bit is a red herring to point to the greyjoys.