[ADwD Spoilers] Updating the Citadel

Linda

I was also thinking about Beware the perfumed seneschal part of Quaithe's prophesy in aDwD.

Any theories on who could this be? (Other than the obvious seneschal in Meereen)

The best bet is Tyrion's ship that was hired for him by the widow of the waterfront, the Selaesori Qhoran. Tyrion translates this as "Stinky Steward", but "Perfumed Seneschal" would be an equally valid translation.

Edited by Mike Scott

The best bet is Tyrion's ship that was hired for him by the widow of the waterfront, the Selaesori Qhoran. Tyrion translates this as "Stinky Steward f, but "Perfumed Seneschal" would be an equally valid translation.

Wow! I totally forgot about the Selaesori Qhoran. Thank you for sorting that out!

I also think the boat used by Tyrion (the lion) and Moqorro (the black flame) is a pretty safe interpretation. But in his POVs Barristan outright defines Reznak as "the perfumed seneschal", so maybe that one presents a danger that has not happened yet. I also wondered if the description could not apply to Varys in a sense, since he is always powedered and perfumed, and has been working in court for so long, but I admit it's a stretch.

However, there is a notable discrepancy in that prophecy, namely that Griff and YG (probably the "mummer's dragon") ended up going to Westeros instead of going forth to Meereen. I'm not sure what to make of that, except concluding that Quaithe's warning only concerned one possible future.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm new to the forum so I don't know how it worked for previous books, but how long does it typically take to update the FAQ? I've been itching to read some of the new entries but they've had 'forthcoming' as the only update for the past few months. I'm not trying to be a squeaky wheel here but as I said I'm new so I don't know if it usually takes a few months to update the FAQs, or if in GRRMly fashion a few years :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

In A Storm of Swords, there is a prophecy not yet discussed by the Citadel. Davos, page 602. The quote reads,

"Stannis to Davos, as they discuss burning Edric Storm, "I know the cost. Last night, gazing into that hearth, I saw things in the flames as well. I saw a king, a crown of fire on his brows, burning ...burning, Davos. His own crown consumed his flesh and turned him into ash. Do you think I need Melisandre to tell me what that means? Or you?" The king moved, so his shadow fell on King's landing. "If Joffrey should die....what is the life of one bastard boy against a kingdom?"

"Everything," said Davos softly.

I think Stannis has misread his vision. I think the vision refers to him, Stannis, as a future he sees in the flames--not to Joffrey who dies choking. Later, we see Stannis's flesh melting away: he is described as continually losing weight as he deals with problems as he tries to grasp Westoros's kingship. Stannis has good points to be sure, but leading men is generally a position for which he ill suited. By the end of ADWD, Stannis is described as nearly skeletal.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Mirri Maaz Duur's prophecy to Dany that she will see Drogo again when the sun rises in the west and sets in the east, seas dry and mountains blow into the wind like leaves.

As Apple Martini pointed out:

Sun rising in the west and setting in the east: Quentyn

Seas going dry: Dothraki Sea in a drought

Mountains blowing in the wind: the dragons burning the pyramids of Meereen

When will that be posted in the prophecies section?

Edited by fireeater22

I think the perfumed seneschal may turn out out be Garth Tyrell, the 'Lord Senechal' of Highgarden, also known as Garth the gross. I really don't know why, other than the fact that the name of Tyrion's boat just seems too obvious.

Maybe the Tyrells will be in power in KL when Dany gets there, and Garth double-crosses her (or whatever). For some reason, I just think it's him.

• 2 weeks later...