Sobbing, Sam took another step. . .

Lucreel

Well, the title serves as a spoiler warning - I don't think the title itself spoils much of anything, but if you've read the chapter where that line occurs, again and again, then what follows won't be a spoiler for you. Otherwise, you might want to hold off.

I'm actually a ways past that chapter now, but have just got to another Sam chapter, and thinking back to the previous one. In the chapter referred to by the title of this thread, he kills a wight with his obsidian(dragonglass) dagger. He now thinks the dagger has a magical power against the wights.

That might be the case, but I also keep in mind that "correlation does not prove causation". I got to thinking about it, and I wonder if it's not the dagger, but Sam, perhaps? Other characters have latent magical powers; perhaps Sam has some latent wight-killing ability?

Oh well, I'll see as I continue to read. Just a thought which occurred to me. I know that GRRM likes to throw in little twists like that - where he has something which would lead the reader to one conclusion, but later you realize there's a different, less obvious, but completely possible explanation - and that often turns out to be the right one. :D

I've been giving some thought to where the Night's Watch could get more obsidian, if that ends up being the necessary defense against White Walkers. I wonder if Dragonstone, which currently is just Stannis's refuge of last resort, ends up being the only source of obsidian in Westeros? Obsidian is volcanic in origin, and so far as I know, Dragonstone is the only volcano in Westeros (unless I've forgotten others mentioned in the text)?

I wonder if we're headed towards a White Walker invasion long before the Game of Thrones is won, forcing a stalemate between all the Kings while the menace is dealt with, and giving Stannis some measure of power over the others as he controls the only source of Obsidian?

I wonder if we're headed towards a White Walker invasion long before the Game of Thrones is won, forcing a stalemate between all the Kings while the menace is dealt with, and giving Stannis some measure of power over the others as he controls the only source of Obsidian?

I agree...

Question: so we have White Walkers, Wights & Others. Can someone please explain about these guys, I thought Wights were White Walkers, i.e. what the dead NW brother turned into when Jon killed him in aGoT, wasn't that a Wight?

What is an Other?

I agree...

Question: so we have White Walkers, Wights & Others. Can someone please explain about these guys, I thought Wights were White Walkers, i.e. what the dead NW brother turned into when Jon killed him in aGoT, wasn't that a Wight?

What is an Other?

Others are supernatural creatures, which are humanoid, but distinctly non-human. They're the ones who attacked Waymar Royce. The Others hate fire. It is unknown if the Others have some sort of hive-mind which controls all of them, or if they are individuals. They sometimes are called White Walkers.

Wights are zombies in every sense of the word, but they are enslaved to the Others. Wights specifically refer to the humans and sometimes animals killed by the Others and raised from the dead. They can only be killed with fire. Again, it is unknown how much freedom they have, but they appear to have memories of their life.

The actual details are more or less meshed out in the end of ASOS.

If I not wrong, the Others in the book are called the White Walkers in the TV series in order to differentiate from the Others in the TV series LOST.

I loved this particular chapter though. The more Sam tells himself he is craven, the more heroic (for lack of a better word) responsibilities befall him.

If I not wrong, the Others in the book are called the White Walkers in the TV series in order to differentiate from the Others in the TV series LOST.

I loved this particular chapter though. The more Sam tells himself he is craven, the more heroic (for lack of a better word) responsibilities befall him.

GRRM doesn't say this, but doesn't it seem like Sam should be losing weight and getting stronger? I mean, after all he's been through - he's had to first ride, then walk hundreds of miles, he's had a rationed diet of food that's not very rich. It just seems like it would not be possible that going through that, he wouldn't have lost a good 40 or 50 pounds, and had his muscles get stronger and increase their endurance.

GRRM doesn't say this, but doesn't it seem like Sam should be losing weight and getting stronger?

True, there is no explicit mention of this, although there is the part where his sword belt keeps slipping from his waist, but that is not much. The way the books are written, each chapter tells the story from the character's perspective. Maybe Sam has lost weight and has greater endurance, but he is so focused on his cowardly side that he has not realized this yet.

• 5 months later...

This is not very much of a spoiler, but anyway...

About half-way into AFfC

when Sam is looking for his mate in Braavos, it is once again mentioned, that his sword belt keeps falling (which corresponds to a VERY fat man from my personal experience - that is I never encountered anyone with that problem during my few sword-fighting years). It would seem he is not loosing weight, or at least not very much of it. Now that you speak about it, it seems weird.

GRRM doesn't say this, but doesn't it seem like Sam should be losing weight and getting stronger? I mean, after all he's been through - he's had to first ride, then walk hundreds of miles, he's had a rationed diet of food that's not very rich. It just seems like it would not be possible that going through that, he wouldn't have lost a good 40 or 50 pounds, and had his muscles get stronger and increase their endurance.

had the same thought while reading about Sam in this book. no way he'd have near the same body fat as when we were introduced to him. much nimbleness would have been gained by him just based on his experiences and what he's survived already.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Others are supernatural creatures, which are humanoid, but distinctly non-human. They're the ones who attacked Waymar Royce. The Others hate fire. It is unknown if the Others have some sort of hive-mind which controls all of them, or if they are individuals. They sometimes are called White Walkers.

Wights are zombies in every sense of the word, but they are enslaved to the Others. Wights specifically refer to the humans and sometimes animals killed by the Others and raised from the dead. They can only be killed with fire. Again, it is unknown how much freedom they have, but they appear to have memories of their life.

The actual details are more or less meshed out in the end of ASOS.

Thanks for the clairfication. I've been wondering about this myself.

I've been giving some thought to where the Night's Watch could get more obsidian, if that ends up being the necessary defense against White Walkers. I wonder if Dragonstone, which currently is just Stannis's refuge of last resort, ends up being the only source of obsidian in Westeros? Obsidian is volcanic in origin, and so far as I know, Dragonstone is the only volcano in Westeros (unless I've forgotten others mentioned in the text)?

the doom of valyria was volcanic wasnt it?

and the destruction of hardhome

and winterfell is heated by hot water running through the walls and has heated pools in the gods wood which would suggest near surface volcanic activity

Archived