[ADWD SPOILERS] Bran 3

Xray the Enforcer

Well, Robb and Sansa looked more like Tullys than Starks, that we know, and both of their wolves have been killed. I expect that is no coincidence. Similarly, it is these two who seemed not warg with their wolves, unless I am forgetting something about Robb. I mean, Grey Wind loved him, but I don't recall Robb warging with him. That may be because we never got to see his POV.

Actually, all the Stark children apart from Arya (and Jon) looked like Tullys, including Bran, and yet he seems to be the most powerful warg around. Also, I believe Robb could warg into GW since in ACOK, when the Reeds annoyed Bran, Summer bared his teeth at them and snarled, and the Reeds claimed it was because some of Bran's spirit is inside Summer, and in Storm we see that whenever someone says something that annoys Robb, GW bares his teeth and snarls at him. Also, GRRM said that all the Stark children have warging abilities, so I assume Robb at the very least had wolf-dreams.

BTW do you know that goat track that goes around the Golden Tooth through which Robb's army got into the the Westerlands? Supposedly, GW found it. How did Robb know what Grey Wind found? Possibly through warging.

Actually, all the Stark children apart from Arya (and Jon) looked like Tullys, including Bran, and yet he seems to be the most powerful warg around. Also, I believe Robb could warg into GW since in ACOK, when the Reeds annoyed Bran, Summer bared his teeth at them and snarled, and the Reeds claimed it was because some of Bran's spirit is inside Summer, and in Storm we see that whenever someone says something that annoys Robb, GW bares his teeth and snarls at him. Also, GRRM said that all the Stark children have warging abilities, so I assume Robb at the very least had wolf-dreams.

BTW do you know that goat track that goes around the Golden Tooth through which Robb's army got into the the Westerlands? Supposedly, GW found it. How did Robb know what Grey Wind found? Possibly through warging.

Yeah, that's how I took it when they said GW found the track. I assumed that it was actually Robb who found it while inside GW.

I came here excited about this chapter and the story as it will continue, only to discover this is the last Bran chapter in this book??? Are you kidding me?

:tantrum:

Iotun i read this entire thread, and you are the only one who does not like how Brans story has evolved. Other people shared their opinions on how his stiuation is sad but everyone seems to be enthralled by the supernatural aspects. So am i. This chapter with the greenseer and warging and finally realizing the significance of the weirwood trees was unlike anything i have read, and was EXTREMELY fascinating. I loved it, i loved bran , and i love this series !!!!

• 2 weeks later...

This way Bran can run, and climb all the time as he wargs. He's said before that he didn't want to leave Summer's skin. Now he doesn't have to go to his if he doesn't want to. Perhaps he can effect the rest of the world by warging into ravens? I think the weirwood paste will begin his transformation into a tree.

In short, I really like what he's doing with Bran, but Meera and Jojan seem to know something he doesn't. Jojan keeps saying that it isn't the day he dies - but lately he just says his job was to bring Bran here.

Please don't tell me they're going to blood sacrifice Jojan to make Bran a tree... And also... Did the CotF carve the weirwoods? Or are the weirwoods greenseers?

• 3 weeks later...

My thoughts on Bran.

For the same reasons that people say Arya won’t stay and become a true faceless man, giving up her wolf, Needle, her family, and her life as Arya, I don’t see Bran remaining with the COTF. Before he drinks the weirwood seeds he’s upset as he doesn’t want to become some weird tree growth. There is only revulsion when he sees Bloodraven stuck in the tree. Personally, just like I’m waiting for Arya to rebel, I’m waiting for Bran to rebel. He can still be a warg that can go into trees, he just doesn’t have to be some tree-dude with roots coming out of his head. And what are Summer, the Reeds, and Hodor going to do? Will Summer sit around at tree boy Bran’s feet doing nothing. I don’t think so. They’ll all leave, of that I am almost certain of. You can still be an unbelievable warg if you’re not attached to a tree. Bran could be the first to be able to warg into trees without becoming a tree-man. What are Bran’s chapters going to be if he doesn’t? Bran warged into a wolf and hunted. Then he felt a root growing out of his chest and thought, "oh well." Then he went back and looked at all the past that the trees showed him. It’s not like it matters since he can’t contact them apart from slight whispers. I think he'll learn from the COTF and then get out of there. (Maybe we'll get Summer ripping out the COTF's throats - that would be badass).

My thoughts on Bran.

For the same reasons that people say Arya won’t stay and become a true faceless man, giving up her wolf, Needle, her family, and her life as Arya, I don’t see Bran remaining with the COTF. Before he drinks the weirwood seeds he’s upset as he doesn’t want to become some weird tree growth. There is only revulsion when he sees Bloodraven stuck in the tree. Personally, just like I’m waiting for Arya to rebel, I’m waiting for Bran to rebel. He can still be a warg that can go into trees, he just doesn’t have to be some tree-dude with roots coming out of his head. And what are Summer, the Reeds, and Hodor going to do? Will Summer sit around at tree boy Bran’s feet doing nothing. I don’t think so. They’ll all leave, of that I am almost certain of. You can still be an unbelievable warg if you’re not attached to a tree. Bran could be the first to be able to warg into trees without becoming a tree-man. What are Bran’s chapters going to be if he doesn’t? Bran warged into a wolf and hunted. Then he felt a root growing out of his chest and thought, "oh well." Then he went back and looked at all the past that the trees showed him. It’s not like it matters since he can’t contact them apart from slight whispers. I think he'll learn from the COTF and then get out of there. (Maybe we'll get Summer ripping out the COTF's throats - that would be badass).

That would be stupid . Plus Bran is only good for the warging so he needs Bloodraven or his whole storyline in the series would be worthless .

• 2 weeks later...

The weirwoods as a place where "memories" are stored reminds me of the movie Avatar!

Same here.

I'm sad that this is the last Bran chapter (from reading the posts here - spoilers! :P ) just when his story is starting to get interesting...

I'm worried for Jojen and Meera. I don't think they can survive a trip back to the South. And aren't there wights just outside the cave as well? They might not even get past those if they did decide to leave. I also wonder how Summer can avoid the wights when he's out hunting.

I am with the Bran saying "thank you, no thank you" to COTF group. It is a Faustian deal, and he should reject it. I hope this will be exactly the subversion of usual "cripple/dying merging with great machine for greater good" cliche.

It is the same pattern as with Sansa, Aria and John. And to some degree with Tyrion, Jaimy and may be even Dany. They all are controlled, their personal dreams and wishes are dismissed in favor of somebody's else purposes and ideals.

Sansa only wishes to marry someone whom she will love and who loves her , but LF tries to turn her into his scheming tool, clone Cat. Aria wants to be with her "pack" and to avenge those who hurt her, instead she is turned into feelingless servant of a god, who is completely strange to her- into no one.John wants to belong, to lay with wildling girls, to fight for his family and help all people, but he is sent to the wall where he is bound by some idiotic outdated ideals and vows and becomes lonelier then ever (he is sent to a wall by Ned and Cat, he is stopped from running away by his "brothers", he is chosen to be LC squire and not ranger inspite his wishes, he is made LC by Sam, and when he finally does what he wants to do he gets ..,). In the end, inspite all his sacrifices he still stays a bastard to his so called new "brothers". Tyrion wishes to be with Tysha, but his father has other plans.. Jaimy only wishes to love his sister and again .... Even Dany actually is controlled by Viserius from his grave - she doesn't really needs Westeros, that is completely foreign to her. She wants to have a "home", she wants to fly, to ride, to bed a young and handsome man.

The same with Bran. He doesn't want and doesn't need extended cables package with 1000 National Geographic and History channels. He wants to be a knight, or at least a captain of warship. He came to meet 3 eyed crow to be "fixed", not be a tool for someone's else needs. He wants to "love", to hug to touch, to fight. There is nothing "foolish" or "childish" about such wishes.

People going on about Bran being cripple - so .@#$%. what? So he cannot walk , that doesn't mean he has to give up on all human joys. That doesn't mean he cannot be a knight , or a least a lord (if fat Manderly can, why not Bran?) Braiin is a living proof that all the notions who can and cannot be a knight are stupid - she is much more a knight then any of them.

So I say ,it is about time for all the repressed children kick their would be puppeteers in their arse, and go live their dreams.

I am with the Bran saying "thank you, no thank you" to COTF group. It is a Faustian deal, and he should reject it. I hope this will be exactly the subversion of usual "cripple/dying merging with great machine for greater good" cliche.

It is the same pattern as with Sansa, Aria and John. And to some degree with Tyrion, Jaimy and may be even Dany. They all are controlled, their personal dreams and wishes are dismissed in favor of somebody's else purposes and ideals.

Sansa only wishes to marry someone whom she will love and who loves her , but LF tries to turn her into his scheming tool, clone Cat. Aria wants to be with her "pack" and to avenge those who hurt her, instead she is turned into feelingless servant of a god, who is completely strange to her- into no one.John wants to belong, to lay with wildling girls, to fight for his family and help all people, but he is sent to the wall where he is bound by some idiotic outdated ideals and vows and becomes lonelier then ever (he is sent to a wall by Ned and Cat, he is stopped from running away by his "brothers", he is chosen to be LC squire and not ranger inspite his wishes, he is made LC by Sam, and when he finally does what he wants to do he gets ..,). In the end, inspite all his sacrifices he still stays a bastard to his so called new "brothers". Tyrion wishes to be with Tysha, but his father has other plans.. Jaimy only wishes to love his sister and again .... Even Dany actually is controlled by Viserius from his grave - she doesn't really needs Westeros, that is completely foreign to her. She wants to have a "home", she wants to fly, to ride, to bed a young and handsome man.

The same with Bran. He doesn't want and doesn't need extended cables package with 1000 National Geographic and History channels. He wants to be a knight, or at least a captain of warship. He came to meet 3 eyed crow to be "fixed", not be a tool for someone's else needs. He wants to "love", to hug to touch, to fight. There is nothing "foolish" or "childish" about such wishes.

People going on about Bran being cripple - so .@#$%. what? So he cannot walk , that doesn't mean he has to give up on all human joys. That doesn't mean he cannot be a knight , or a least a lord (if fat Manderly can, why not Bran?) Braiin is a living proof that all the notions who can and cannot be a knight are stupid - she is much more a knight then any of them.

So I say ,it is about time for all the repressed children kick their would be puppeteers in their arse, and go live their dreams.

Yes, Bran is finally interesting and now we have to get rid of the only thing that makes his boring chapters worth reading . No thanks, i prefer he dies if that happens .

The thing that really creeped me out was after Bran woke up and there was a part about a branch touching his face. All I could think was that it was all impatient to start growing through his head or something. Just seemed kind of predatory... in a creepy, gross way.

• 2 weeks later...

My thoughts on Bran.

I don't know if you're right, and the opinion seems to be in the minority,, but I'm with you. I hate to see Bran, the kid who climbed all over Winterfell and loved his family so much, being stuck in a tree.

Also wonder what will happen to Hodor and Summer. As for the Reeds, all along I've trusted them to do the best thing for Bran-so if this isn't the best I'm hoping they'll get him out of there.

That being said, I thought it was a spooky, beautifully written chapter-I just don't want Bran staying there and not seeing his family again.

I don't know if you're right, and the opinion seems to be in the minority,, but I'm with you. I hate to see Bran, the kid who climbed all over Winterfell and loved his family so much, being stuck in a tree.

Also wonder what will happen to Hodor and Summer. As for the Reeds, all along I've trusted them to do the best thing for Bran-so if this isn't the best I'm hoping they'll get him out of there.

That being said, I thought it was a spooky, beautifully written chapter-I just don't want Bran staying there and not seeing his family again.

But what the hell would he contribute to the story being a crippled boy . Bloodraven already said he would never walk again so being a uber warg again .

Could Bran be the prince that was promised? i just reread this chapter to get to the end visions. but the writing struck my instantly when i began rereading. BR makes him a wierwood throne. I instantky thought about the prince that was promised.

something else that struck me as odd was each time the moon is mentioned its in the same stage. the talk of time and the trees makes me think what Bran percieves as days are really months.

I feel like the dreams of Ned confirms Jon is not his son, and the pregnant woman praying for vengance is Lyanna. I think Ned had to hide Jon becuase he is a Targ and Lyanna wanted Jon to avenge his fathers death.

• 1 month later...

What is the point of the greenseer if he can interact with nothing? No one knows he there so he can't tell anyone about anything.

Yeah, that is my question as well. Although Bloodraven did get Bran to come to him. Other than that, I'm not seeing that he's doing anything to effect the world outside.

I'm baffled at how popular the "he's cripple, why should he continue trying to be a human being?" opinion is. Come on, the reason his chapters are boring is because he's so cutoff from everything else in the story. Being our scope into the past is only barely gonna change that.

What could he contribute to the story? What, has everybody else been such a go-getter in picking up a sword a solving problems with it? Plenty of characters don't fight.

Archived