[ADWD SPOILERS] Bran 3

Xray the Enforcer

Theory time. COTF are the COTF who remained COTF. The Others are the COTF who transformed themselves for revenge. They are going to try to revenge mass murder and eradicate men.

An interesting theory I've considered myself, but the COTF are said to have fought with the first men against the Others, and the Others are said to be the primary reason for the COTF's demise. That being said, GRRM does hint that the ancient histories of Westeros are unclear and disputed, so who knows.

Am I the only one who cried during this chapter? Bran desperately seeking other forms so that he might fly, walk, be tall, instead of crippled. How he couldn't even push himself towards Meera to comfort her. And the fact that he sees his family again in the weirwood is heartwrenching.

I think Bran will need to make the decision whether to pursue his childish dream of becoming a knight, or continue on in the quest for wisdom, and become the new 3EC. A very difficult choice for a child, especially when it's probably difficult for him to understand the honor in pursuing wisdom instead of knighthood.

I don;t get why everyone is so unhappy about Bran being stuck here forever.

It only ruins what you might have been hoping for -- but it is an incredible plot development.

Often what I have read is people being upset when what they want to happen doesn't -- and then a few chapters later loving what happened.

Remember what you thought when Ned died? How could future books be any good? And yet here we are...

Also - I don't get anyone who thinks the CotF control the White Walkers. Makes no sense and is grasping at straws. all will be revealed someday.

Also don;t get why it seems so "sinister" -- it's just different than other stuff... but sinister? Why?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sad that there isn't a Bran 4. I want to know what happens to him next. I feel so sad leaving him there in the cold North with winter coming. How will the Reeds get home if Bran is trapped there? I hate thinking that Jojen will die there.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm new here so I really don't know how to quote, but someone said that Jojen was the one staying instead of Bran. I have to agree because Meera said that Jojen wanted to go home but would not try to fight his fate. I don't know what will happen to Bran if Jojen stays, but I deffinetely think that he is leaving the cave.

As much as seeing Ned again, and young Lyanna, was a really wonderful and bittersweet moment to read, a lot of me is angry with these shady children of the forest, for practically luring away the next heir of Winterfell. I mean, when exactly did Bran sign a contract agreeing to live in a cave for potentially thousands of years to come?

He's a character I've had a lot of affection for and I feel genuinely sorry for him and the Reeds, and Hodor for that matter! There's something not quite right here as well, if Jojen's greendream about his death may not end up being accurate. Somewhere along the path, they've either slipped into a trap or other forces have taken hold.

Also, when Bran was describing exploring in Hodor's body, a part of me did wonder if Bran wasn't really being careful with the body that he's inhabiting. Hodor is, of course, not small and the idea of him being made to cross tiny bridges etc. really made me fear for him. Hodor needs cared for too!

• 2 weeks later...

So... Am I the only one who thinks that Jojen is dead by the end of this chapter? And that the blood looking liquid in the weirwood paste is actually blood? A couple of lines of dialogue seem to confirm this.

Bran asks if the Children are going to kill him. Meera tells Jojen that he's making Bran afraid, and Jojen says that Bran's not the one that has to be afraid. Implying, IMO, that Jojen knows the COTF are going to kill him.

Then Jojen explores by himself a lot. Meera and Bran are sitting by the fire and Meera suddenly breaks down crying. Suggesting that either Jojen is dead or about to be killed. We don't hear of him after this.

Finally, the last line of the chapter seems to connect weirwoods, greenseers and blood sacrifices. Bran tastes the blood of the man killed in front of the weirwood at the end, suggesting that blood is key to their powers.

There's also the fact that Bran has broken every rule we learned from Varamyr about warging up to this point, except for one: Eating human flesh. Him eating Jojen is the capper to a very, very creepy and dark character arc.

Dark is not Bad. I do not think CoTF are bad at all.

And as many think that this is Bran's End... I dont think so....

Lot remains in the Cup for Bran to do if he is going to take over Bloodraven. So, Winged Wolf takes over Bloodraven, Isnt it ?

In fact, I felt relaxed in case of Bran. He has finally found his place and he is settling in his role ably, quietly, .... Quietitude is not bad.

It scares many readers, this Quiet, because it creates mystery around it... Thats why :)

Also - I don't get anyone who thinks the CotF control the White Walkers. Makes no sense and is grasping at straws. all will be revealed someday.

Also don;t get why it seems so "sinister" -- it's just different than other stuff... but sinister? Why?

I think it's a bit sinister because I've had Melisandre buzzing in my ear for a few books now telling me not to trust the dark and now I have this Brynden guy telling Bran to relax and be swallowed up by the dark. I'm hoping it's two different factions that are very much at odds against the White Walkers but now I'm having doubts.

I still believe the Children of the Forest are against the White Walkers but I don't enitrely trust them. And to the poster who mentioned Jojen being dead and his blood being part of the sacrifice: I didn't think that till you said it but that is now the theory I'm going with.

• 2 weeks later...

does Bran get anymore chapters?? :blushing:

oh well if Bran is to be stuck there together... i guess Rickon For King!!

though in ali seriousness... i hope bran somehow gets out of this situation..

• 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Theory: R'hllor is the bad god and The Other is the good god. The children of the forest are servants of The Other along with The Others who were protecting TCOF underneath the snow!

Another Theory: R'hllor is the good god and the old gods are 'the Other' or the god of darkness. I think this because Brynden tells Bran to never fear darkness, while Melisandre preaches that darkness is bad.

Also, this feels like a typical thing GRRM would do. Have sweet poor boy Bran be part of evil while sinister Melisandre is actually an instrument of good.

• 1 month later...

Just read this chapter, beautifully beautifully written, love the descriptions of time here!

The chapter has a lot of foreshadowing and mystery that will tie in to events that have happened and things to come.

The theory that Jojen is dead by the end of the chapter and that Bran has possibly eaten of him... wow I did not even consider that.. really scary :frown5:

When reading, I did not like the feeling I got that Bran might stay there forever. I want him to go out into the world, for people to know he's alive and for him to make an impact. I don't trust TCOTF entirely and they seem only concerned with finding the new Greenseer. They are unconcerned with what Bran actually deserves, for him to live a full life and experience the things that he should.

Bran can use his powers and practice outside, he does not need to rot in the cave. He could journey back to the cave, but the chapter has a dark undertone and it seems Brans fate is hanging by a thread.

We will see what happens, and Bran HAS to have chapters in TWOW.

Now one thing I got into my head with all this talk of ravens.

Since men will not understand if, say, Bran speaks to them as a raven, he could instead tie messages to their feet as maesters do and fly wherever he wants, where as maesters must limit themselves to using ravens that fly only to one specific location (the place they grew up).

This would be a good way to for instance contact Jon. This could of course be used with other beings and for other purposes. The point being, Bran has tremendous power and could and up being the saviour of the North and his family.

:bawl: Why no more Bran in ADWD :crying:

• 5 weeks later...

Everyone who is afraid for Bran, I think George has just fooled you, and me.......again. All the dying cliffhanger chapters where your heroes aren't really dead. Maybe Bran isn't in such peril. This is what George does.

Having said that it was a beautiful and dark chapter all in one. I loved it.

First time poster. On second reread. Managed to read all 5 books last year before I read one sentence here or any fan board.

• 4 weeks later...

I think there was a major point to the flashbacks:

The two children fighting were, IMO, Lyanna and probably Benjen. I think that it was written this way to show just how "Stark" Lyanna looked.

The biggest thing about all of the Stark children was that Jon looked "Stark" where Robb didn't. If Bran mistook Lyanna for Arya at first and R+L=J, it would be easy to say that Jon took after his mother, who was very "Stark" looking.

This!! I love this connection. Great point!

I've got a theory. I believe someone in the forums stated this before, but it got me thinking: Could Coldhands be Benjen Stark? It's easy to see how he could have become an agent for Brynden. And I'm almost certain the COTF got Coldhands to supply the NW with dragonglass gear. It also helps explain why he wouldn't show his face to Bran.

Interesting theory; that could be why he never showed Bran his face.

Personally, I'm of the mindset that Coldhands is a wight (maybe or maybe not someone important from the past), and is warged by Bloodraven the entire time he's helping Bran. Which would mean that Bran could one day warg into wights (but not the Others), if he needed to.

Now that being said i also noticed at the end bran has only one Tree-vision On his throne And infront of BR. but has a Bunch more when he returns to some alcove in the ground to rest. Now what I (possibly) took from that was that BR wasnt trying to push Bran thus 'you've seen through a tree that'll do for today' possibly implying it didnt just Come to BR when he first arrived either, hence training. Now the point im dancing around is GRRM trying to point out JUST how powerful Bran is already, only to get stronger through tree/throne/body connection

OR

that perhaps Bran is going to have a power that even BR does not possess? Access to the Weirnet without a throne??? thus not forcing him to be forever trapped in a mountain in a cave in a tree???

That's what I got from reading it, as well. I don't think even BR knows how powerful Bran can/will become.

Agreed. Although, while I don't think they can control the White Walkers, I do think they can warg into wights. :)

Another Theory: R'hllor is the good god and the old gods are 'the Other' or the god of darkness. I think this because Brynden tells Bran to never fear darkness, while Melisandre preaches that darkness is bad.

Also, this feels like a typical thing GRRM would do. Have sweet poor boy Bran be part of evil while sinister Melisandre is actually an instrument of good.

This is what I'm afraid of! It does seem like a place the story could go.

• 2 months later...

Definitely had a dreadful feeling while reading this chapter. I

Concerns me if it turns out that Bran is going to be stuck here. Reminded me of Arya's last chapter in AFFC. Bran ate the paste and Arya drank the potion. Both overly trusting of the mentors around them.

Archived