[ADWD SPOILERS] Daenerys 6

Xray the Enforcer

Why is everyone so eager to believe at this point that Daario slew Brown Ben Plumm somehow? Is it so hard to believe that Plumm switched sides? The last conversation he had with Dany went something like, "Your Grace, you're surrounded on all sides by way too many enemies and can't possibly win... except you have your dragons. You say dragons are out of the question? Then let's loot the city and go. No, not that either? Then you can't win... but you can give me fresh horses and extra bags of gold, and I'll ride nonthreateningly toward your enemy's camp... yeah, that's it."

As for whether this is one of her three betrayals, I doubt it. When a sellsword takes action with "mercenary" reasons, that's just to be expected, really.

I know. I still want to believe that Daario is a good man and had no part in Ben Plumm's 'disappearance', but sellswords are extremely fickle, so who knows what really happened. However it would be just too easy and cliched if Daario does betray Dany (and killing Ben Plumm along the way).

I like the Dany chapters but find them nervewracking because she always seems to be in such a terrible position. The suffering and sickness of her "children" was very hard to read. But I thought she was incredibly courageous and compassionate when she went among them and tried to help and also had the dead burned to stop the spread of disease.

I was shocked at Brown Ben's betrayal-never saw that coming. I hope those of you who say he's got something planned are right.

Still hoping for those dragons to be untied...

• 1 month later...

I can't wait to read how all of this turns out. So much build up! Something has got to blow!!

On that note, glad Dany finally got some. Poor horny little thing. I expect in the next chapter she'll be surprisingly relaxed. ;-)

How many more of those completely pointless Dany chapters?

All the chapters so far could have been summarized in half a chapter.

Well, be that as it may, I'm surprised at the things some people have written in this thread.

Dany needs to be around her dragons? Who says? Everybody knows Dragons can be dangerous (they killed a CHILD), but nobody around Dany knows the first thing about training them. While I don't know whether chaining them up is the best idea, let them roam free certainly didn't prove to be the better one.

Then, what is all that clichéd "Daario seems nasty, so he must have killed Ben, because that one is nice" stuff? I think this series has shown us often enough how deceiving appearances can be. It's possible it happened that way, but it's also possible it happened the way Daario tells it. Heck, it might be that both Ben and Daario will betray Dany. What's worse though is how stupid Dany seems to be in trusting Daario so blindly. "Ben betrayed me, so you obviously must be loyal!" ... wtf. She puts too much weight on those prophecies that are much too vague. Sellswords shouldn't be trusted, that's why they're sellswords. And that finally scene was just way too cheesy.

And while I agree that Dany has to learn that she cannot save everybody, I find it very disturbing that so many hear do not flinch at suggesting she should leave everyone behind and just stop caring. That's exactly not the point of her rule, and AFFC should have shown us more than enough how the people suffer when their lords and ladies forget about them.

Glad that Quentyn has been mentioned. Now maybe finally something is going to happen.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

They decided to split Dance into two volumes in Holland, and this is the last chapter of the first volume. Finished it yesterday and eager to read the next chapters, but yeah, volume two will be released 27 February, so I can't fucking read 'till then! Fuck my life!

• 4 weeks later...

While I have enjoyed Dany's chapters so far, right now it seems that nothing of significance is going to happen in her story until Quentyn and/or Tyrion show up. I'm kind of tired of Essos anyway. Initially I thought it was brilliant to show us how a good woman (although I'm not sure if Dany is anymore) can make a bad queen, but now I just want her to move on to Westeros and be done with it.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Once more, Dany proves she is nothing more than a slut. She has multiple armies coming down on her, a plague threatning her city, and dangerous uprisings with the city itself. Yet all she can think about is satisfying her cunt with the first pretty boy to cross her path.

I know Daenaries is only a fictional character...but, jesus, I'm suprised people aren't complaining about that comment.

• 1 month later...

Having read through this thread, I am SO relieved to find that others were/are feeling the same disappointment and frustration with Dany that I am. Up to this book she has been my absolute favorite character, and I am really struggling to keep her there and give her the benefit of the doubt for all of the reasons already talked about: Daario, the dragons, and her sudden trembling indecisiveness, to name a few.

I came here to vent, but after reading everyone else's rants I feel oddly at peace. Thanks for the catharsis, I'm ready to get back to it now.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I think it is ridiculous that everyone wants to "get the the payoff". These books are about anything but the payoff... If she was already in Westeros, then what? We really want the books to be less? We want them to be over? We want less character development?

I just really hope if good old George does come on these forums he doesn't listen to those complaints...

I love seeing the cultures we wouldn't be able to see from Westeros. Seeing more and more of the world Martin has created. These books are about more then "getting through the plot". I think he does a masterful job helping us to understand Dany more and more, and when we see the decisions she makes in the last two books, we will have a great idea what caused her to make the decisions she makes.

• 1 month later...

I don't get the Dany hate. I like her chapters. Sure, it could've been faster than this, but this is the Author who pretty much used 1000 pages so that Arya could reach one location.

Is Dany stubborn sometimes? Sure, but she's nowhere near the same as Cersei as some people imply. Cersei is stubborn because she's stupid and misguided. Dany is stubborn for her beliefs. She won't abandon the people she took in simply because they're ill. But when the right time comes, she made her decision based on what's best, not what she believes. And also, I think she manages to rule considering the crappy situation she's in.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Not to dredge up an ancient thread just for the sake of piling on, but, hoo boy, that was just...bad. I'm one of those readers who used to get excited to see Dany's name when I flipped the page to the next chapter, but this book just killed that joy for me completely. Somebody better start dancing with some dragons here pretty quick or I'm going to find myself actively rooting against one of my formerly favorite characters. Nothing she's done in this book has made a lick of sense. As another poster put it earlier, it's just one epicly stupid decision after another. And then to cap off the chapter with a cheesy Harlequin romance moment? Yikes. And the problem isn't just that I don't like the character anymore (I'm perfectly fine with that); the problem is that I'm starting to feel like GRRM didn't really know what to do with her character. Once he made the decision to keep her in Mereen, he pretty much painted himself into a corner. As readers, we all know that she can't stay there, so what's the point of having her stupidly play house for hundreds and hundreds of pages? The only literary value I see in that is to show us that she isn't at all prepared to rule the Seven Kingdoms should she ever make it to the Iron Throne.

• 9 months later...

Daenerys never been anywhere in the top 5 or even top 10 of my favorite characters. I am not interested in whatever she does.

It's just a waste that Selmy Barristan is setting right beside this stubborn stupid little girl. I hope she dies of the flux or get killed by one of her Dragons or whatever.

I mean look this girl is just dumb, she loved khal Drogo for no apparent reason. she had something even if it was little for Jorah. now she is in love with Daario, while betrothed to someone else. God knows what is gonna happen when quentyn Martell and Rhaeghar's son meet her, maybe she will have an orgy.

It's really a chore to me reading her chapters. I put down the book every time I see her name on top of the page.

• 3 weeks later...

Agreed. I don't think it was Jorah the prophecy was referring to.

And Dany..............man....she is really proving that "bad men can be good kings, and good men can be bad kings". In GRRM's world, there is no room for idealism. I hope once Quentyn/Tyrion/Vic get to her, she will grow up!

Really frustrated with her naivety.

I think that we still have to take account that she is a young girl, isn't she like 15 or 16? I believe she still has some time to learn her hard lessons and grow up.

Archived