[ADWD SPOILERS] The Prince of Winterfell

Xray the Enforcer

I didn't catch the Frey pie clue nor the Mance as the singer clues either. Yall know the story so well!! Glad I come here, and have yall to help me figure it all out :cheers:

Heart wrenching chapter. I wonder what Theon, Mance, Manderly and Stannis will do. Can't wait to find out!!

Definitely a fantastic chapter. Theon's have easily been some of the best written chapters, difficult to read because of the content, but so perfectly written. I definitely missed everything in this chapter apparently, glad everyone else put it together for me!

A part of me was hoping Theon might try to save Jeyne, but realistically, he's too weak I think to come out on top and it probably would not have ended well. Still, I hope he has some opportunity to redeem himself.

Good catch whoever mentioned Jeyne's training and Littlefinger. Hadn't considered that either.

Theon's chapters just get better and better... There's that part of me that knows my 74yr old grandmother reads ASOIAF and is going to read the end of the chapter, and the idea horrifies me, but it's testament to how far GRRM will go to villify the Boltons. Truly horrific creatures.

On another note I caught the Rat Cook reference but missed Mance entirely- could this end with Theon ending up at the Wall? THAT would be one awkward confrontation.

I was ready to give this chapter top marks (general atmosphere, the ghostwood scene, Frey pie, Mance) - but found the end disgusting. Well, I know, that's what it's meant to be. But this was the first time in the whole series where I was disgusted not only by what happened, but also by George spelling it out.

Wow! I didn't twig Mance or the Frey pie. I thought Manderley was just being overly enthusiastic to cover up any doubts about him. But you're all spot on about the Rat Cook. That is totally awesome.

I came her to talk about how Theon was gelded by Ramsay. Again I thought Ramsay saying he's not even a man was just a way of dehumanising him, but then I twigged it was something more than that. Then I realised he dropped a hint in the last Theon chapter when he said something like "I lost some toes, some fingers and that other thing".

God damn, who would have thought Lord Manderly could do that? I'm going to start calling him Lord Eric Cartman, and not just because he's big boned. That scene gets better on a re-read: "savour every bite. I know I shall." brutal.

And you know... Flicking through the Freys family tree in the appendix, Old Walders army from his britches is starting to look very war weary. I hope we get a scene of the old bastard contemplating this.

I was very interested in what Roose had to say when he made his speech: "many of us shall not live to see the spring." A promise if ever I've heard one. Obviously he's talking about Wyman, but who else? Ramsay, maybe? Once fake-Arya has a boy and the Bolton's claim to the North is secure, what use does he have, given enough time he'll break up the patchwork of alliances Roose has built. I know he told Theon he expects Ramsay to kill his children, but this may have just been BS to make Ramsay feel secure.

I came her to talk about how Theon was gelded by Ramsay. Again I thought Ramsay saying he's not even a man was just a way of dehumanising him, but then I twigged it was something more than that. Then I realised he dropped a hint in the last Theon chapter when he said something like "I lost some toes, some fingers and that other thing".

Elsewhere around here (maybe in the main ADWD section), there's a thread discussing what may or may not have happened to Theon. The main sentiment in that thread was that Theon wasn't gelded outright, but that Ramsay flayed his genitals. The textual support for this hinges on the idea that Ramsay would have mocked Theon in front of "Arya" for not having a penis (if indeed he had cut off Theon's), and doesn't. Further, he asks Theon if seeing "Arya" naked gives him an erection. It's not conclusive proof by any stretch, but I think it does bring some ambiguity into the mix. Clearly, Ramsay has done something to Theon's genitals.

God damn, who would have thought Lord Manderly could do that? I'm going to start calling him Lord Eric Cartman, and not just because he's big boned. That scene gets better on a re-read: "savour every bite. I know I shall." brutal.

And you know... Flicking through the Freys family tree in the appendix, Old Walders army from his britches is starting to look very war weary. I hope we get a scene of the old bastard contemplating this.

I was very interested in what Roose had to say when he made his speech: "many of us shall not live to see the spring." A promise if ever I've heard one. Obviously he's talking about Wyman, but who else? Ramsay, maybe? Once fake-Arya has a boy and the Bolton's claim to the North is secure, what use does he have, given enough time he'll break up the patchwork of alliances Roose has built. I know he told Theon he expects Ramsay to kill his children, but this may have just been BS to make Ramsay feel secure.

Let me lick your tears :P

Freys need their comeuppance, but serving human meat pies is beyond the pale.

This does not make me a fan of Manderly.

Forget about it, Joke. It's Westeros.

I love a little Titus Andronicus mixed in with my Winterfell wedding feast.

Archived