[ADWD SPOILERS] The Prince of Winterfell

Xray the Enforcer

• 2 weeks later...

Is it Hosteen, Aenys, and Rhaegar in the pies?

Not quite. Hosteen and Aenys traveled with Roose up the neck to the northlands. The three Freys in the pie are Rhaegar, Jared and Symond, the three that were present during the trial of Davos in White Harbour.

This was my favourite chapter of the book at least up to this point.

• 2 weeks later...

I knew Lord Wyman did something to those pies! Strangely enough the only part I found disgusting in the whole scene was when he wolfed down some pies himself. Eeuugh.

Good call on Abel the Bard and the women, I never made the Mance Rayder connection. You guys don't miss anything!

Not quite. Hosteen and Aenys traveled with Roose up the neck to the northlands. The three Freys in the pie are Rhaegar, Jared and Symond, the three that were present during the trial of Davos in White Harbour.

This was my favourite chapter of the book at least up to this point.

I was sure it was Rhaegar and Jared but missed the third. Symond did not have any speaking lines in Davos' trial, but Lord Wyman did say afterwards that he "...drink with Jared, jape with Symond, promise Rhaegar the hand of my own beloved granddaughter" so it could very well be Symond.

Damn, Manderly. I'd heard he would do something awesome and shocking in this book, but this...

Can anyone clue me in on how exactly you know those Freys went missing? The little bit about the Rat Cook was what made me catch on to all that delicious cannibalism, but I can't seem to find anything about Freys going missing and ending up in pies...

Also, Ramsay's evil is starting to get slightly cartoonish at this point. Dramatically throwing that glass of wine at the wall, slapping your 13-year-old wife with the hand you just shoved up her, and making Theon "bend to his task"? Just short of overkill. Just imagine how the HBO scene will look like.

Damn, Manderly. I'd heard he would do something awesome and shocking in this book, but this...

Can anyone clue me in on how exactly you know those Freys went missing? The little bit about the Rat Cook was what made me catch on to all that delicious cannibalism, but I can't seem to find anything about Freys going missing and ending up in pies...

Also, Ramsay's evil is starting to get slightly cartoonish at this point. Dramatically throwing that glass of wine at the wall, slapping your 13-year-old wife with the hand you just shoved up her, and making Theon "bend to his task"? Just short of overkill. Just imagine how the HBO scene will look like.

It's not overkill and certainly not cartoonish . It's more interesting than Dany's boring stuff for example and a lot of that feature cartoony stuff and Bran I don't even want to mention .

• 2 weeks later...

Ramsay Bolton is disgusting abomination. Poor Jeyne. Damn Littlefinger and Cersei, damn them in Seven Hells.

Poor Theon.

Ramsay deserves for eternity in the flames.

Melisandre should burn him alive.

Drogon should eat him very slowly.

King Stannis should first un-legitimize him, eradicate House of Bolton from the Westeros and next...

Etc. etc.

He really is broken.

I hope we get a chapter towards the end named Theon, but I think he is just too broken.

What is amazing about his chapters are the headings. His brokenness are summed up in the names (you have to remember your name) that he is called in his differently named POVs. Reek, Prince of Winterfell and finally, we get him back to who he is : Theon. (As he mentioned as well to Asha).

• 2 weeks later...

What is amazing about his chapters are the headings. His brokenness are summed up in the names (you have to remember your name) that he is called in his differently named POVs. Reek, Prince of Winterfell and finally, we get him back to who he is : Theon. (As he mentioned as well to Asha).

I love that too. I just read my last Reek chapter and am thankful I saw that the next is named Theon ( I labelled them all on the inside cover with their page).

The funny thing is, this would work... if only Martin hadn't insisted on playing silly buggers with chapter heads through the entire novel.

I actually read Dance to my girlfriend (doing all the voices and stuff too), and after a while I started suffixing chapters with 'because names are for girls'. It should have been an awesome Theon-only thing, but martin insisted on doing it all over Dance which really dilutes it for me :(

• 3 weeks later...

I know that many clues point to the Freys being cooked in the pie, but I'm having a hard time digesting the fact the Manderly was gorging himself on them. They may be enemies, but would he really knowingly eat human meat? If so, wow! I don't know what to say.

Roose is expecting Stannis and thinks Manderly is going to betray them, which makes me nervous, but then something tells me he is underestimating the situation and that there are forces he isn't counting on.

It's good to know that Bran is watching.

I'm also glad that Mance is there. I suspect he will know Arya is a fake. That doesn't mean he won't attempt to save her.

• 3 weeks later...

I am not sure why people are so surprised with Manderly enjoying a little Frey pie (OK fine, a LOT of pie). Not that I condone eating your fellow species, but it would be difficult to argue that there is anyone out there who despises the Frey's more than Manderly. Not only was one of his two sons (and heir IIRC) betrayed and slain in cold blood, but the man also had to feign indifference on the matter while he hosted the Frey's for a few months. He may have lost a bit of his sanity during his misery.

And hey, who can fault the guy for eating? He is one of the fattest men in all Westeros. "Revenge is a dish best served cold." Although in our man Manderly's case, I think the dish was warm and fleshy.

• 1 month later...

OMG. Even for how much I hate Theon, this is just like....a terrible, nightmare! Ramsay is so evil, I can't believe him. He will make for some great television, but how in the heck are they going to do that last scene with the girl the age of Arya? Ha - I leave notes for every chapter in my Kindle for reference, and this one says, "Theon goes to wedding with Ramsay and fake Arya and he helps Arya to have sex with Ramsay and Ramsay order Reek to eat her out?????"

Oh, and the way how Theon has changed....all that pride gone.....his constant, honest hope of just wanting a quick and clean death, and how he just shrunk back to Reek...wow, really, really messed up. I really loved this chapter!

As soon as I heard about fake Arya, I started wondering what LF is up to.

He must has provided Jeyne to Roose and knows full well who she is. At the same time he is planning on marrying Sansa to Harry the heir and having them claim Winterfell.

So my thought is that LF is setting Roose up. When the time is right Sansa and Harry show up in the North to discredit fake Arya's claim to Winterfell and expose House Bolton for the frauds they are. By the time this happens, the Boltons have spent their energies rebuilding and refortifying Winterfell. Stannis can't disapprove of Sansa's claim. I'm just wondering what BS Littlefinger told Roose to make Roose trust him.

No one with power but Manderly knows about Rickon. So he (and Bran) are wild cards. What I'm not sure about is who is the rightful heir to Winterfell? Sansa or Bran? I say Bran because he is the oldest living male. But since he will probably won't return to Winterfell, then the living heir is Rickon unless Robb has an heir.

Ramble ramble...

Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Edit: after thinking about it some more, I realize that Roose may not know exactly where fake Arya came from.

What the fuck, seriously, what the fuck. I've never ever felt so sorry for a fictional character, and it gets worse every chapter. Damn, did Ramsay seriously cut off Theon's penis? Unbelievable. Oh, and poor, poor Jeyne, how can one be so brutal to a little girl. I want him to get killed off so bad.

Totally missed the Frey pie part, but discovered that Abel might be Mance, wasn't sure tho'. What a chapter! Best one in the book so far, and a great one to start the second volume of the book (ADWD split in two in Holland).

Archived