[ADWD SPOILERS] Tyrion 9

Xray the Enforcer

I "lol'd" at the confrontation between Tyrion and Jorah.

Jorah: you're such a fool - do you really expect Dany to accept you back for this?

Tyrion: you need to learn to keep your damn fool mouth shut.

(I do wonder if Jorah has some other plan in mind yet to be revealed... he's generally a pretty smart and insightful person... though he's also great at lying to himself so...).

Also I'm getting a bit annoyed at the character of Penny. It seems she only exists to make Tyrion look like a better person than he really is. It's pet the dog big time.

I'm hoping to see Tyrion and Ser Jorah fighting aside each other against the slavers.

Good chapter, but I'm getting tired of all the characters going to met Daenerys, and she does nothing.

One thing I have noticed is that we've gotten almost 2 Tyrion and Jon chapters for each of Daenerys so far, but if I remember right, GRRM said Dany has the most chapters in the book. So hopefully that means her chapters in the 2nd half will be much more eventful as people start to arrive in Meereen.

Unfortunately Dany kind of has to be in a holding pattern until all the players arrive... :/ GRRM wrote himself into a corner.

Also I'm getting a bit annoyed at the character of Penny. It seems she only exists to make Tyrion look like a better person than he really is. It's pet the dog big time.

Completely agree. I am beginning to wonder what George is going to do with Penny.

Loved the description of the storm (though I am kind of in awe that they are still afloat?), and that slavers are approaching them.

I "lol'd" at the confrontation between Tyrion and Jorah.

Jorah: you're such a fool - do you really expect Dany to accept you back for this?

Tyrion: you need to learn to keep your damn fool mouth shut.

(I do wonder if Jorah has some other plan in mind yet to be revealed... he's generally a pretty smart and insightful person... though he's also great at lying to himself so...).

I loved the confrontation between Tyrion and Jorah also. Great scene.

I'm wondering about Penny too - I really don't think GRRM is going to make them end up together, but yes, where is it going? And certainly she has had the effect of bringing out a 'nicer' side to Tyrion.

Also, I am finding it a bit hard to believe that these many people have seen the value that Tyrion holds for Dany. (Ser Jorah may not see him in the same way as Varys and Illyrio though). I understand that he can give her some insight into Westeros, especially King's Landing, but there are other candidates for inside info heading towards Meereen at this very moment. Plus, what current information can he provide? He hasn't been communicating with anyone back in the Seven Kingdoms.

I think Tyrion's value isn't in his current information, but rather in his proven ability to be a good and effective hand as well as a strategist. Did King's Landing ever run so well as when he was there? I am a little out of date on the previous novels, but wasn't Varys around to witness Tyrion's leadership prowess first hand? And of course there is the battle of the black water. If Dany takes Kings landing, Stanis may still be in the picture and Tyrion has his number. And it is really a very low risk to a high reward prospect for Varys and Illyrio. If Tyrion doesn't make it there, well you really don't lose anything other than the smuggling cost to get him there.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

. But not it was just a freak storm conjured up by magic

Or just a hurricane? The whole calm while in the eye of the storm thing.

I'm ready for Tyrion (or anyone for that matter) to get to Dany...

I feel like Penny exists just to remind Tyrion that there is innocence left in the world. He's so (understandably) hurt and jaded that I think he needs that reminder if he's going dust off enough to function for Dany.

But this is Martin - so as soon Tyrion lets himself feel innocent or happy, Martin will totally kill her.

• 1 month later...

Yeah, the storm sounded like a hurricane to me, just as the Doom sounded like a massive volcanic catastrophe type thing.

As for Tyrion's value to Dany, he's been known since GoT to spend all his time (when not drinking and whoring) reading, and is very well-(self)-educated... particularly in the history of dragons. He was literally tested on the material back on the Shy Maid. And as stated, he has experience as a Hand and battle strategist. He wasn't widely credited for any of his successes, but certainly Varys recognized it.

• 1 month later...

Oh no! Slavers! This can't be a good thing. What a crazy chapter. No wind, then a monstrous storm and they lose their red priest. The kiss between Penny and Tryion was cute. She's never kissed a boy. Tyrion handled that well. I think she is good for him and is giving him a new perspective on what it means to be a dwarf.

They are near the Isle of Cedars which means they are very close to Meereen at this point. I wonder where they will land. Probably not where they want to. Will the next chapter find them all for sale? Yikes! The only good that can come of that is perhaps Dany will take pity on them if they are slaves.

• 3 weeks later...
Or just a hurricane? The whole calm while in the eye of the storm thing.

My thoughts exactly. Also, why does it seem like Tyrion keeps bumping into Drogon? During the hurricane, I thought I read a similar description of Tyrion's previous encounter with Drogon on the Rhoyne.

EDIT: it was just the sail and mast of the ship, but still made me think of Drogon.... hope he turns up sooner rather than later

• 2 months later...

My thoughts exactly. Also, why does it seem like Tyrion keeps bumping into Drogon? During the hurricane, I thought I read a similar description of Tyrion's previous encounter with Drogon on the Rhoyne.

EDIT: it was just the sail and mast of the ship, but still made me think of Drogon.... hope he turns up sooner rather than later

Made me think of Drogon aswell.

• 4 weeks later...

Why do people hate Tyrion so much or think he's evil?

I agree that Penny is a way of showing his gentle side, but I don't think it's the first time we ever see it. For a person who's been trampled on for all his life, I think he shows pretty decent character and compassion. Remember when he had that special saddle built for Bran? Or when he slapped Joffrey? He's not heroic by any means, but he's very much human and a decent one, at that. The only time when he acted sorta, kinda evil is when he killed Shae and Tywin, but I have to say, they had it coming a long way. And both of them were ready and willing to serve his head on a silver plate. And even still, his deeds are haunting him and he's far from forgiving himself.

So I don't quite see the connection to nazis petting dogs in Tyrion. He's always been compassionate and in his own way even honourable. Not without flaw, but definitely not with ill intent.

But, where was I?

Creepy chapter! Annoying, though, that he's so close to actually reaching Daenerys and is obviously being delayed even more... again. But at least he's not dead yet. And Daenerys is much more likely to not kill him when he's an exploited poor slave dwarf than when he's a Lannister.

I'm getting the feeling that the book will end with someone actually meeting Daenerys in the end and then the book just cuts off before we know how she reacts.

Archived