[ADWD SPOILERS] The King's Prize

Xray the Enforcer

"Ned's girl!"

"Ned's girl!"

"Winter is almost upon us, boy. And winter is death. I would sooner my men die fighting for Ned's little girl than alone and hungry in the snow.."

Man I love the men of the North. When you look at the majority of them (with the exception of the Boltons) and compare them to any of the other regions they seem to be the most staunchly loyal to their liege lords. I also love how 4 books after his death Neds honor and memory still has such a hold on so many people, especially HIS people.

I liked the description of the army slowly dying to the cold and snow. Many armies have perished that way in real history too. It looks like the political situation in the North will be locked pretty soon since nobody can move any significant forces about anymore.

This chapter was about Stannis Baratheon's host being slowly consumed by winter and not at all about Asha Greyjoy. Chapters like this really annoy me, because I feel that anyone could have been given the PoV and they would have been an active participant (This was also my problem with 'The Watcher').

Got to say though I thoroughly enjoyed the chapter, especially the northern clans. Its funny how large a presence Ned Stark has on this book. He seems to be mentioned in every other chapter!

Yeah I get the feeling Stannis' story arch is going to end near the planes of Winterfell or on the way.

GRRM needs to tie up loose ends to move the story along, Melisandre is obviously going to play a part in whatever Jon's fate is and no one really takes Stannis' bid for the throne seriously.

Kind of a shame though because I may be one of the few Stannis supporters out there.

During this chapter I couldn't help but think about Napoleon's retreat from Russia in 1812.

I'm getting a bit of a Donner Party vibe off of this chapter... :stillsick:

Poor Mance and his spearwives. I'd been hoping that once Stannis joined battle, they'd rise up and cause some wilding mayhem from inside Winterfell's walls, but it looks like that won't be happening!

So Alysane says that two of her sisters are with Maege?

I wonder what the deal is with that group of lords who Robb sent north with his heir? Are they still holed up with Howland Reed in the Neck or have they moved further north? I'm thinking the latter is likely since the Mormont girls have gone to join them but what are they doing?

ETA: Maybe it has something to do with Eddard's bones? Chances are they ran into the Hallis Mollen if Maege and co was with the crannogmen.

As much as I love this great loyalty of the Northmen to the Starks (it's so rare and refreshing in this series), but I think the Northmen are here pushing their Southern allies too hard. While this "autumn kiss" seems to them rather normal for the Southern knights it's too hard too handle such a new hindrance. Hell, some of them probably has never seen snow before in their lives. I agree that this march is destined to doom. And it confirms my fears that Stannis will fail in his quest, I just can't see how such a weakened army can take on an equal army in one of the strongest Northern keeps. Not to forget the incoming Karstark betrayal here.

Besides of that I fail to see where Asha's road is leading to as prisoner. Well yes, it is leading to Theon more or less, but then they will be both prisoners. I agree with someone here who said that's a pity that we got so less about Asha herself in this chapter. It's nice to know that she starts to regret that she left Theon back in Winterfell back then. And even if it was only a short line it was nice to know how the relationship between Theon and his older brothers were, it says so much about how Theon now is.

Great chapter - love those Northmen. Wonderful how Ned's memory still has such importance for them.

And yes, I think this is the end for Stannis, or coming to it... can't say I will miss him either if it happens.

I agree, the love and loyality the Northmen have for the Stark's is a great thing to read.

I had a feeling Asha was still alive. I really enjoyed this chapter and the last few lines were chilling. I really hope this is not where Stannis perishes. I really want him to somehow take back Winterfell first. Stannis has grown on me so much.

I love the loyalty of all these good houses in the North. It's nice that not everyone flips loyalties with the wind and are willing to toss honor and morals out the window for gold dragons or political gain. And those bear claws are awesome, especially for the horses. I felt bad for the southron fools.

The North makes some strong people! But, I'm seeing doom for Stannis and that does not make me happy.

When Asha kept thinking about "the wolves" was she thinking about the northern clans or some northern houses that were still loyal to the Starks. I couldn't quite tell.

I wonder when people started thinking of him as "the Ned."

I feel like a complete idiot. This whole time whenever someone mentioned the queen's men, I thought they were men loyal to Stannis' wife and I had wondered why since she had never made much of a presence. But, Asha explained it clear and I was all facepalm. :blushing:

Archived