[ADWD SPOILERS] The King's Prize

Xray the Enforcer

Asha! Glad to be back with her. Of course she didn't die, and her attacker even apologized for calling her a cunt. LOL!

Things aren't going well for Stannis at all. It doesn't look like he'll be reaching Winterfell. The mountain clans seem to be doing alright. I like their spirit and their ability to handle the snow. If only they were all like that, they'd have reached Winterfell by now. I don't think this will be the end for Asha, or Stannis. I can't imagine how they will survive, though.

Something is going to happen.

I can't imagine Stannis is going to die now. Feels wrong and would make the whole mountain clans and Asha story superfluous and a lot more. Plus, Melisandre would probably have seen it in her flames.

Wondering what will happen though.

• 2 weeks later...

The description of the watchtower at the end of the chapter caused me a bit of confusion. I am relatively sure that it was a part of Stannis' camp, but why would they have had it lit with a brazier if they are so close to Winterfell?

Would that not be giving away their position to Roose and his own watchers? Perhaps they were not expecting Roose's men to leave their defenses at Winterfell, but I would still want some element of surprise if I was mounting an attack in the foreseeable future.

HOnestly, i did like Asha but now, I'm not so fond of her since she comes off as a little lost since she fumbled at the Queensmoot and ended up married to a guy who can't even walk. I would rather this chapter follow the She-Bear instead of her. I'm also surprised she didn't ask if anybody had any moon tea to spare.

• 3 weeks later...

HOnestly, i did like Asha but now, I'm not so fond of her since she comes off as a little lost since she fumbled at the Queensmoot and ended up married to a guy who can't even walk. I would rather this chapter follow the She-Bear instead of her. I'm also surprised she didn't ask if anybody had any moon tea to spare.

I agree, I loved Asha when we first met her, but she does not seem like the same character as before. I thought she was more brutal and tough. This chapter (and the last) made her come across as weak and confused.

• 1 month later...

This chapter was really well written. It was amazing. As I was reading it I could feel myself want to shiver. However after all said and done. It felt like a lot of it was filler. I love the journeys that these books take me to are thorough and amazingly written, but it just seems like a lot of it is filler. Does anyone agree?

Drogon. Please burn the snow and rescue our only King. Ours is the fury. Stannis Baratheon, the true heir of the Iron Throne. I now know it for sure, I want him to win!

However, being realistic, I think he won't make it to Winterfell at all.

At the end of this chapter it has been 30 days since Asha and Stannis's army left Deepwood Motte.

How many days after Asha's fight with Stannis (aka the final scene of ADWD 27: The Wayward Bride) until they left Deepwood Motte?

Because then, when we find out when the Wayward bride happened, we will know when the final scene of this chapter (where they arrive at the village, which is 100 leagues from Winterfell) occurs.

• 4 weeks later...

After I read how all of these traitors and strangers meddled around in Winterfell, I really want Stannis to kick ass and restore the castle. Even though I wonder who would qualify as lord of Winterfell right now? I suppose Stannis could keep it and winter there. (Cool, I didn't even know it was a verb before that chapter.)

I know we're supposed to believe Stannis is going to fail, but I still have hope that GRRM has something awesome up his sleeve. It would be the ultimate anticlimax to have Stannis just freeze to death somewhere on his way to Winterfell and then, meh, nothing. Maybe Asha steals a garron, heads off to Winterfell and causes some nice treason with Manderley and Theon (the master of winning Winterfell with no resources at all)? And picks Dagmer Cleftjaw up on her way?

Ah I don't know. I was never good at spinning theories. But I definitely hope to be surprised here.

• 1 month later...

Just random crackpotery here, but the Rhollor zombies keep going on about a sacrifice to coax their (capricious, unhelpful, extremely grumpy) god to save them. They have a noble captive. No priestess to officiate, but still, Asha may die by fire before she dies by ice. And who wants the waste to opportunity to watch Mance wreak merry havoc in the halls of Winterfell as what's left of Stannis' host comes stumbling in on their bear paws?

In other news, every time I read about Stannis taking only one mouthful of onion soup or whatever, I want to punch him in the neck. Eat something, you idiot! WINTER. IS. COMING. Plus, you could put on a few pounds. No Red Priestess likes a gaunt dude.

• 1 month later...

personally, I reckon ol' stanny will make it out of this one - wildfire didn't stop him so I don't think this will! Then again, my faith in stannis may be completely overrating him...

Lots of military history influences in this chapter in my mind; napoleon's retreat in 1812 was mentioned above and definitely came to my mind - also I had the sense of what it must have been like on various expeditions to the antarctic by Robert Scott and Lawrence Oates. I thoroughly enjoyed this tribute to the north - RAWR!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I thought Stannis was dead at the end of the chapter. Asha notices how thin he has become, goes to sleep, and then next thing you know the march has come to a halt and she realizes something is wrong, I thought he had died in the night. I really hope he makes it out of this, I don't want him to die in such a poor way. He needs to take Winterfell or die in the actual battle.

• 2 weeks later...

This chapter just reminds us how tough the North could be and how unprepared the Southron men are for the Winter. Winter is coming, and it's coming hard.

Stannis is primed to take the Black!!! He now knows more about the perils of the North. (How I'd love for Stannis to be a Crow)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Chapters like this one reaffirms my opinion that the North is like Russia... and Stannis is having his retreat from Moscow Napoleon moment, as others have mentioned before me.. Very well described by GRRM.

I think Asha will find a way to help Stannis in some ways and gain her freedom. She'll want to show the She-Bear that she can tough it out too.

• 1 year later...

This chapter was really well written. It was amazing. As I was reading it I could feel myself want to shiver. However after all said and done. It felt like a lot of it was filler. I love the journeys that these books take me to are thorough and amazingly written, but it just seems like a lot of it is filler. Does anyone agree?

I didn't really experience it as filler. I just thoroughly enjoyed this chapter. Really well written. IMO the level of writing really picks halfway through ADWD (or at least my enjoyment of it).

One thing that occurred to me as I read this chapter (and this is my first read): those northerners aren't really doing much to ensure the Southron forces make it to Winterfell. They don't advise Stannis to wait at Deepwood Motte, don't tell Stannis to leave his destriers & palfreys behind (then again, would stubborn Stannis listen? ;-)). And once they get going, they go much quicker, letting Stannis' forces fall behind, wearing down their horses & soldiers. Do they want Stannis to fail?

All these conspiracies are making me paranoid, I guess. ;-)

Archived