[ADWD SPOILERS] Daenerys 7

Xray the Enforcer

Dany seems to be getting more stupid by the chapter. Not that I dislike reading them. Plenty of interesting information has been revealed through her POVs, but she's just a poor Queen.

Dany is depressed!

Half of Essos is trying to destroy her.

Her city is besieged, her mercenaries are abandoning her, and she could loose everything including her life.

She has to marry a looser to have a forlorn hope of surviving the siege and saving her x-slave “children”.

She recently sentenced her sick Astapori “children” to death after her foolish plan to heal them of the bloody flux.

The bloody flux is in the city killing her people every day due to her aiding the Astapori

She has completely and totally lost control of her Dragons.

She is trapped by honor and circumstance in Meereen with no chance to ever fulfill her destiny in Westeros.

Taking a lover and not carrying out her Queenly duties seems very plausible to me.

• 2 weeks later...

No, it one of the Quenthyn chapters earlier was mentioned that Pretty Meris has 20 years of experience as a mercenaries, so she's much older than Brienne.

Besides, Pretty Meris is a Targaryen. She must have more Targaryen blood than Quentyn, at least, because Viserion was far more interested in her than in Quentyn, at least until Quentyn started smacking him in the face with a whip.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm confused on why people think the bedding thing makes Tyrion a Targ if Jaime and Cersei were born first?

I can't help wondering what would have happened if she had married Quentyn. I still think Dany can turn things around but am hoping she lets those dragons out soon.

• 4 weeks later...

I just don't see how Dany could have agreed to marry Quentyn even with all he has to offer as his army is leagues away and she is surrounded by enemies. How would they have made it out of Mereen alive? He was lucky just to get there alive.

• 3 weeks later...

Dany's relationship with Daario is a classic case of chemistry. It feels like a drug and therefore when you are under the influence, you act like someone on drugs. The fact that it can't last only adds to the intensity. I'm not at all surprised that she is obsessed. I believe this will become a hard lesson for Dany.

The entrance of the Dornish was interesting...and revealing. Daario was certainly not happy which makes me think that he's plotting something. That or it's just that his ego is bruised. Dany was very welcoming to them which makes me think that she will trust them and perhaps let them into her inner circle. She seemed to like Quentyn even if there was no attraction. Perhaps when she's over her withdrawals from Daario, he'll look pretty good to her. At least as Selmy said, they are in need of good knights so hopefully they will be utilized.

Things should get pretty interesting now that she's married and Hizdhar is king. It could be true that this marriage unites the city and allows Dany victory over all of her foes and time to spend with her dragons. Or it could go another way. Dany could find herself completely fucked and betrayed from all sides. Either way, I'm sure all hell with break loose. If she does win this war, she might then be able to free Tyrion and Co from slavery, if that was their fate after the last Tyrion chapter.

• 3 weeks later...

All this hate directed towards Daenerys because she is sleeping with Daario irks me somewhat. From what we know of Dany, there is no guy in the world that she would give up her crown for. This thing with Daario is only a result of loneliness after Drogo died. She just needed a good f*ck. Please excuse my bold statement. I should mention that all of these issues with Daario does not excuse her from the terrible political choices she is making.

However, most of these responses I am reading are just coming off as bitter annoyance for Daenerys sleeping around. What is the matter if she has a male consort? I just hope GRRM is not going to portray her as a lovesick girl because that does not seem like her character at all. I suppose future chapters will reveal this for us.

• 3 weeks later...

I know this is in a few other forums, but I would just like to put the A+J=T evidence together for those who may have missed it because the main evidence for A+J=C&J has already been put here, and I think it is extra pertinent at this chapter. Personally, I'm still not sure how I feel about both theories (though I must admit that I like the idea of Tyrion being a Targ), and I'm curious what others think about the following.

Physical features (something which GRRM often uses to indicate lineage):

- Tyrion's eyes are green and black. Some say that black=dark purple. In The Queenmaker AFfC, it says:

His eyes seemed black as he sat outlined against the dying sun, sharpening his steel, but she had looked at them from a closer vantage and she knew they were purple. Dark purple. Dark and angry.

There are also other characters with some Targ blood who have black eyes. (Don't the Baratheons have some Targ descendent?)

Others have simply said that his eye color is a sign of divided lineage and nothing more.

- Tyrion has white-blonde hair (as opposed to Cersei and Jamie who are frequently described as having golden hair).

- It is suggested by Oberyn that he, like Rhaego, was born with a tail.

- Some say his dwarfism is caused by Joanna attempting to terminate the pregnancy. Also, there are Targs with deformities.

History (again, something that GRRM often emphasizes to point things out):

- This scene with Ser Barristan is not the first time it is mentioned that Aerys "envied" Tywin.

- The relationship between Tywin and Aerys and Tywin brooding on the "wrongs" Aerys did him. This could just be the stated issues that Aerys took "liberties" with Joanna, refused to marry Rhaegar to Cersei, and made Jamie a Kingsguard, but a) Why would Aerys have reason to spite Tywin in the first place (I may have missed an explanation here) and b ) Tywin attacking King's Landing seems like a bit of an overreaction. Some have said that Tywin left King's Landing because he found out about an ongoing affair between Aerys and Joanna.

- Rhaella died giving birth to Dany. If R+L=J is true, then Lyanna died giving birth to Jon. And Joanna died giving birth to Tyrion. Some have explanations along the lines of carrying those worthy of dragons kills the mothers because they're fiery or something. To be fair, however, a lot of women die in childbirth in these books.

Targaryen qualities:

- He has a "morbid fascination" with dragons.

From Tyrion II GoT:

Tyrion had a morbid fascination with dragons. When he had first come to King's Landing for his sister's wedding to Robert Baratheon, he had made it a point to seek out the dragon skulls that had hung on the walls of Targaryen's throne room. King Robert had replaced them with banners and tapestries, but Tyrion had persisted until he found the skulls in the dank cellar where they had been stored.

He had expected to find them impressive, perhaps even frightening. He had not thought to find them beautiful. Yet they were. As black as onyx, polished smooth, so the bone seemed to shimmer in the light of his torch. They liked the fire, he sensed. He'd thrust the torch into the mouth of one of the larger skulls and made the shadows leap and dance on the wall behind him. The teeth were long, curving knives of black diamond. The flame of the torch was nothing to them; they had bathed in the heat of far greater fires. When he had moved away, Tyrion could have sworn that the beast's empty eye sockets had watched him go.

"What are you reading about?" he asked.

"Dragons," Tyrion told him.

"What good is that? There are no more dragons," the boy said with the easy certainty of youth.

"So they say," Tyrion replied. "Sad, isn't it? When I was your age, used to dream of having a dragon of my own."

"You did?" the boy said suspiciously. Perhaps he thought Tyrion was making fun of him.

"Oh, yes. Even a stunted, twisted, ugly little boy can look down over the world when he's seated on a dragon's back." Tyrion pushed the bearskin aside and climbed to his feet. "I used to start fires in the bowels of Casterly Rock and stare at the flames for hours, pretending they were dragonfire. Sometimes I'd imagine my father burning. At other times, my sister."

Note that Tyrion is the only non-Targ character who is said to have dreams about dragons.

- Tyrion loves fire and thinks to use wildfire to protect King's Landing. He also likes his bacon burnt black.

Tywin and Tyrion's relationship:

- Tywin repeatedly says that he can not prove that Tyrion is not his son so he has to recognize Tyrion. This is most notable in SoS when Tywin denies Tyrion Casterly Rock.

- Tywin's last words to Tyrion.

From Tyrion XI ASoS:

"You shot me," he said incredulously, his eyes glassy with shock.

"You always were quick to grasp a situation, my lord," Tyrion said. "That must be why you're the Hand of the King."

"You...you are no...no son of mine."

"Now that's where you're wrong, Father. Why, I believe I'm you writ small. Do me a kindness now, and die quickly. I have a ship to catch."

The poetic symmetry this would imply:

- Tyrion, Jon, and Dany have similar backgrounds involving being outcasts.

- It is repeatedly said that Tywin was ruled by Joanna. If Tywin protected Tyrion out of some promise/respect for his departed wife and Tyrion kills him, there is poetry there. Plus, that would mean Tyrion is unknowingly avenging his family.

- Tyrion, Jon, and Dany are the three main perspectives in the book called A Dance with Dragons.

• 3 weeks later...

Seriously, why does everybody hate Dany so much?

I don't really like her in this book either but that's probably because I am not interested in the whole Meereen-Yunkai-Astapor thing...

And for her making terrible decisions...I'd like to see one of you guys in her position with all her foes around her and she is still trying to do the right and honorable thing.

I am disappointed in her reaction to Quentyn too but she couldn't just say "Alright I'll marry you and come with you to Dorne" when she is supposed to marry Hizdahr the very next day. They wouln't even have made it out of the city...and they would also have had to free the dragons because I'm sure she wouldn't have left her 'children' behind.

For being only 16 years old and having no one around her she can trust (especially after being let down by ser Jorah who she trusted completely) I think she is doing her best and we shouln't judge her.

I am sorry for rambling but someone has to defend our favourite dragonqueen (: :D

How can she just dismiss an important Martell just like that? What the heck? She acted like they were some traveling jesters or something. I thought it was kind of sweet how she went out to see those with Bloody Flux, but pointless and stupid. Jorah's quote of how Rhaegar died nobly actually echoed through my head before she thought it....I think there is some foreshadowing that she is not going to make it. She isn't mad liker her father, but she's young, naive, and right now she is making terrible, awful political plays. She isn't really fit for playing the game of thrones. She knows nothing about Essos politics and this is doing nothing to help her claim Westeros, and she needs way more counsel. The best thing she has is Barristan, and he is pretty clueless to politics around there as well. She needs Tyrion there. Dany would love him. She also needs informers....and smarter, more clever counsel. While Barristan is a badass fighter, he is just a very noble night. I am honestly starting to think Dany has no chance of ever sitting on the Iron Throne. And I think she is eventually going to be killed. I doubt in this book, but some other time....

Oh, and the thing with Daario didn't phase me one bit. I think she had some serious sexual frustration, and since when do teenage girls have good taste in men? lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Crazy theory time.

Missandei is one of the Children of the Forest.

Following is from Bran 1-3, so if you're not reading in order for some reason, don't click the spoiler.

From earlier Bran PoV chapters we know that the Children usually have golden eyes and we can establish that they, physically, are on size with Arya. Who is around eleven years old. Also, the one they first encounter suggest that they can at least somewhat change their appearance to blend in with humans and do so from time to time.

Nothing else to really connect it and it's pretty crack. But hey, crack theories are fun. And who is to say the Children didn't sense the birth of dragons and try to find someone to track them down, as they will be needed in the fight with the Others?

Not sure about the CoF theory, but another exchange that brings a certain mystery to Missandei was this exchange from Dany 6 pg 477

"This one heard Astapori scratching at the walls last night"

"No one was scratching" said Jhiqui

"Scratching how could they scratch?"

"With their hands," said Missandei. "The bricks are old and crumbling. They are trying to claw their way into the city."

"This would take many years," said Irri. "The walls are very thick. This is known."

"It is known," agreed Jhiqui.

"I dream of them as well." Dany took Missandei's hand. "The camp is a good half-mile from the city, my sweetling. No one was scratching at the walls."

"Your Grace knows best," said Missandei. "Shall I wash your hair?"

Strange exchange, or am I over thinking this? Missandei definitely seems to be more then they believe.

• 2 weeks later...

Dany is kind of sweet when she talks about Daario. Isn't this the first time that she actually chose to be with someone as opposed to being with someone out of necessity. Sure, she fell in love with Drogo later, but at first it was just another arrangement. I was kind of disappointed by Quentyn's arrival though. He's been travelling R'hllor knows how long and then he accepts her refusal just like that? There was not much he could have done anyway, but I thought it was weird that he didn't even try too hard to persuade her. Also, why didn't he tell her that the Westerosi Windblown were sent as spies? Or did I miss something?

• 1 month later...

Missandei had brothers in the Unsullied army which disputes the theory she is COTF somewhat... although it crossed my mind too when I read the lines about her golden eyes and seeming older than her years, so who knows!

Johnny Depp, dressed up like a blue bearded Jack Sparrow, would make a brilliant Daario! :D I wonder if Daario might actually be her betrayal for love instead of gold, he seemed jealous to me... GRRM likes to surprise us, so maybe the guy we think can't be trusted is actually genuine after all...?

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, I really like this theory. It gives new meaning to a lot of the things that Jaime and Cersei have done and said. The one thing that came to mind when I read this was this quote towards the end of ASOS (pg. 1004 in paperback):

"'...I want to be your wife, we belong to each other, but it can never be, Jaime. We are brother and sister.'

'The Targaryens...'

'We are not Targaryens!'"

huh - if Jamie looks like a bunch of Lannisters -- then this would mean he is Tywin's son.

I think again people are grasping at straws.

Archived