[ADWD SPOILERS] The Blind Girl

Xray the Enforcer

Yes I can see her backing out, wonder if it is Daenerys is who she will be sent to kill? And could she warg into one of the dragons?

Now that she has warged into the cat and know that she was doing it wonder if she will figure out her wolf dreams where more than dreams?

What I love most about this chapter is that 2 issues of contention appear to have been resolved:

1. It is now established she knows that 'Lord Snow' is indeed Jon

2. It now appears confirmed that she did indeed kill whatshisname (was it Doran? The Nights Brother who she led into the alley and walked out with his shoes). There had been a lot of discussion about that one, with many folks doubting she did the deed. While it's not ABSOLUTELY confirmed (we as readers did not see it), I think we can be pretty sure it did happen.

Can't wait to see more of her..............

I've been thinking about this chapter and Arya in general quite a lot recently, in relation to the Faceless Men's motives.

I think that we have some bitter sadness coming. Just as Ned had no desire to face off against the Sword of the Morning, we probably have similar difficult confrontations to come. The FM's reverence for death may put them on the side of the Others--and death in general. While they do not judge, I cannot doubt that they will look on the Other's advance as the work of their god.

Arya may be a free spirit, but she has become very much obsessed with death. I see her going above her duty, likely with Nymeria's and her horde. That would no doubt put her up against Jon Snow and/or others she loved.

2. It now appears confirmed that she did indeed kill whatshisname (was it Doran? The Nights Brother who she led into the alley and walked out with his shoes). There had been a lot of discussion about that one, with many folks doubting she did the deed. While it's not ABSOLUTELY confirmed (we as readers did not see it), I think we can be pretty sure it did happen.

I was going to mention her thoughts about Dorean, because hopefully they have finally put to rest the ridiculous idea that she killed him for his shoes, rather than because he was a deserter from the NW. I thought it was obvious that she did it for that reason, hence telling the kindly man that "Arya Stark" did the deed (which itself was quite fascinating, as Arya is so fond of hiding behind aliases, e.g. the ghost of harrenhal) but apparently that wasn't quite explicit enough. :P

As it's been a few years since I read A Feast for Crows, I'd appreciate it if you could fill me in on what Arya's motivation for joining the Faceless Men is. Why does she join the creepy cult of assassins, instead of seeking out Jon Snow, Gendry, or the Brotherhood Without Banners? Does she truly want to forfeit her identity as Arya Stark for some reason? Seems to me that'd be completely opposed to her character.

I think that we have some bitter sadness coming. Just as Ned had no desire to face off against the Sword of the Morning, we probably have similar difficult confrontations to come. The FM's reverence for death may put them on the side of the Others--and death in general. While they do not judge, I cannot doubt that they will look on the Other's advance as the work of their god.

I don't think the Faceless Men will will side with the Others. The Others reanimate corpses into wights, and we've had hints that the wights retain something of who they once were -- perhaps meaning the souls are not allowed to rest.

It seems to me that the Others offer something very different from, if not opposite to, the "gift" that the Faceless Men cherish.

As it's been a few years since I read A Feast for Crows, I'd appreciate it if you could fill me in on what Arya's motivation for joining the Faceless Men is. Why does she join the creepy cult of assassins, instead of seeking out Jon Snow, Gendry, or the Brotherhood Without Banners? Does she truly want to forfeit her identity as Arya Stark for some reason? Seems to me that'd be completely opposed to her character.

Ultimately, I think she wanted to learn the skills so that she can kill the people on her hit list. Gendry and the BoB would still just view her as a Lady and not help her do that. Jon might treat her more like the tomboy she is, but even that she'd be a long way from her vengeance.

It doesn't seem to me that she's truly forgetting who she is or wants to forget. She knows what answers they're looking for and is giving them. Whether or not she retains herself through lal the brainwashing work is one of the big questions in her story arc.

Ultimately, I think she wanted to learn the skills so that she can kill the people on her hit list. Gendry and the BoB would still just view her as a Lady and not help her do that. Jon might treat her more like the tomboy she is, but even that she'd be a long way from her vengeance.

It doesn't seem to me that she's truly forgetting who she is or wants to forget. She knows what answers they're looking for and is giving them. Whether or not she retains herself through lal the brainwashing work is one of the big questions in her story arc.

There's also an element of her simply having no other options. After the news of Bran & Rickon, then the Red Wedding, and then leaving Sandor to die[suffer], going to the Wall didn't seem enough like going home.

She had the Faceless coin, which seemed as much a meal ticket as anything, so she just went with the flow without knowing what awaited her at the House of Black & White.

And now that she does know that the true goal is becoming "no one", she's clearly resisting. And now that she is understanding her warging a bit more, she is finding ways to succeed in training without having to truly be "no one".

I see a light at the end of her tunnel... I just hope that in the Winds of Winter, we'll also see the light at the end of Bran's. Losing Arya or Bran to these identities would be too sad for me to handle.

I see a light at the end of her tunnel... I just hope that in the Winds of Winter, we'll also see the light at the end of Bran's. Losing Arya or Bran to these identities would be too sad for me to handle.

My thoughts, too. Bran and Arya have to play bigger roles than simply melding into the supernatural mythology of the realm. I'm afraid for them as characters. I'm more afraid for Bran.

I loved this chapter! Been waiting a long time for more Arya. I liked the placement of this chapter too, right after Alys Karstark arrives at the Wall and Jon thought it might be Arya. Best part of the preceding chapter was Jon thinking that "she's only a child" and needed protection. :rolleyes:

Guys his name is Dareon. And the boots were just a bonus.

But the real question is why Arya killed Dareon. I think that maybe Jon Snow--through mental telepathy--triggered Arya

to kill Dareon because Dareon abandoned his vows to the Nights Watch. Why else would Arya kill him for deserting? She's

not a sworn brother...why would she care if he deserts. I just think there is a powerful connection between Jon Snow

and Arya...a mental and spiritual bond.

I think that Arya wants to become an assassin because Arya's character is increasingly shaped by a need for vengeance. She chants the names of her enemies like a prayer...Cersei, etc. Death and vengeance are now central to Arya's personality. And now, she has become an assassin in her own right.

Even when she was truly "Arya Stark", she was very different from Sansa. Sansa liked to play truly "feminine" games, while

Arya liked to play "masculine" games. For example, Arya liked to play with swords. It is known that a sword is a phallic

symbol that represents a penis. Sansa was comfortable in her femininity, while Arya enjoyed playing dangerous "masculine"

games. So, Arya Starks character makes her the perfect cold, blooded assassin. In my opinion, GRRM wants us, the readers,

to compare Arya and Sansa. This helps to illuminate their different paths, choices, and results. While Sansa's most powerful weapon is her femininity, Arya's most powerful weapon is her masculine ruthlessness, Imho.

My thoughts, too. Bran and Arya have to play bigger roles than simply melding into the supernatural mythology of the realm. I'm afraid for them as characters. I'm more afraid for Bran.

Bran reminds me of a disabled person with an active imagination. He's like a man in a wheelchair who IMAGINES that he can

walk and run. Bran's powers and abilities appear "forced" to me. The bottom line is that Bran Stark was pushed by Jaime Lannister, and he will never walk again. Imho, Bran should accept that he is disabled and forget about developing "special powers". It's not real Bran. Wake up. You can't walk. You will never walk. Just accept it and move on.

There's also an element of her simply having no other options. After the news of Bran & Rickon, then the Red Wedding, and then leaving Sandor to die[suffer], going to the Wall didn't seem enough like going home.

She had the Faceless coin, which seemed as much a meal ticket as anything, so she just went with the flow without knowing what awaited her at the House of Black & White.

And now that she does know that the true goal is becoming "no one", she's clearly resisting. And now that she is understanding her warging a bit more, she is finding ways to succeed in training without having to truly be "no one".

As I read about Arya "becoming no one", I began to really see the benefit of this approach to life. By becoming "no one", Arya can become cool, calm, collected, and calculating. Being a "no one" has other benefits as well. For example, a person who is "no one" can seemingly 'fit in' anywhere. A "no one" can blend into the background and hide from one's enemies. In addition, a "no one" has no loyalties, no fears, no weaknesses, no feelings. A "no one" is a "nothing" inside. I think that GRRM is using this to demonstrate how Arya Stark is dealing with the pain of her losses. She lost her father and mother. She lost her home. Becoming a "no one" is a part of Arya's operational mourning process. After she mourns her losses, Arya will become "someone" again, Imho.

I loved this chapter! Been waiting a long time for more Arya. I liked the placement of this chapter too, right after Alys Karstark arrives at the Wall and Jon thought it might be Arya. Best part of the preceding chapter was Jon thinking that "she's only a child" and needed protection. :rolleyes:

I agree with you about the placement of this chapter by GRRM. This chapter seemed to "flow naturally" from the chapter about Alys Karstark. I notice that Jon Snow is becoming "involved" in the issues of the realm instead of focusing on his duty as Lord Commander of the Night's Watch. Jon is supposed to only focus on holding the Wall. Instead, Jon has (1) become involved with Stannis Baratheon (2)allowed Mance Rayder to attempt to save "Arya". And it appears that Jon will help Alys Karstark. This is not Jon's place. He's supposed to be Lord Commander of the Night's Watch only. Jon said the vows. He gave up his family when he joined the Night's Watch. But his family ties keep coming up.

But the real question is why Arya killed Dareon. I think that maybe Jon Snow--through mental telepathy--triggered Arya

to kill Dareon because Dareon abandoned his vows to the Nights Watch. Why else would Arya kill him for deserting? She's

not a sworn brother...why would she care if he deserts. I just think there is a powerful connection between Jon Snow

and Arya...a mental and spiritual bond.

Jon doesn't even know where and how well Dareon, Sam or Aemon are. Hebelieves that they're all safe in Oldtown by this point.

Arya killed him beause ever since she was born she was taught that:

1) The one that gives the sentece must be the one to carry the sentence through.

2) Deserting the Night's Watch is punishable by death

That chapter in AFFC showed us that she wasn't capable of throwing away Arya Stark and all her principles and everything that she had learned from birth. She is an impulsive child, that wants vengeance on everyone on her hit list.

She will never be able to forsake her true identity, killing Dareon and keeping Needle are great examples of that.

I honestly don't believe that she will ever become a full FM. She might get to that final "test" (which I believe will be killing off Nymeria, not Jon or any of her siblings - Nymeria is her truest link to who she really is, IMHO) but will never do it, choosing instead to get back to her original identity, while retaining the skills she learned in Braavos.

BTW, there is a multi-quote function, just so you know ;)

Archived