[ADWD SPOILERS] A Ghost In Winterfell

Xray the Enforcer

Mance Rayder and the spearwives

Step 1

Abel anagrams to Bael

Step 2

Bael was a bard who sneaked into Winterfell according to an old song

Step 3

Mance was a bard and a fan of Bael's story. He set out with 6 spearwives to rescue "Arya". He's taken advantage of Winterfell's hospitality before as a bard

Thanks guys! It seems so obvious now.

I posted this in another chapter it was relevant to, but does anyone else think that Bran is seeing all this?

Interesting that Theon can (seemingly) hear him... Just imagine the show Bran is getting from the tree these day! Yeesh :-)

I posted this in another chapter it was relevant to, but does anyone else think that Bran is seeing all this?

Interesting that Theon can (seemingly) hear him... Just imagine the show Bran is getting from the tree these day! Yeesh :-)

Yes, I think that Bran is seeing this. There was a moment in the chapter when Theon thought the face in the tree was Bran's!

Yes, I think that Bran is seeing this. There was a moment in the chapter when Theon thought the face in the tree was Bran's!

Exactly. Wonder why Theon could 'hear' him, though? guess we'll find out at some point. More importantly to me is that Bran see that it was not his sister who married that day. And perhaps, at some point, Bran will be able to offer Theon some mercy, knowing that he is truly sorry for his actions earlier.

Exactly. Wonder why Theon could 'hear' him, though? guess we'll find out at some point. More importantly to me is that Bran see that it was not his sister who married that day. And perhaps, at some point, Bran will be able to offer Theon some mercy, knowing that he is truly sorry for his actions earlier.

Maybe Bran can communicate through the trees in the present, just not into the past.

I don't know if its just me but Martin's writing seems to have reached a new level of brilliance in these Theon chapters. I was never a Theon hater, but seeing him reach this stage of self loathing is heartbreaking. I sort of understand when he pleads for death from Holly at the end of this chapter.

My notes on this chapter:

* The tensions between the Northern Lords seems to be at an all time high. I think that Abel chose the victims carefully to flame the situation more: a stout, a flynt, a frey and one of Ramsay's lads. Something keeps bringing me back to the 3rd Reek chapter where Roose Bolton says that Lady Dustin is the one who is holding his force of Northerners together, adding that to the snow sculpture of Dustin, I'm guessing that she is going to be Abel's next target.

* Its good to hear Bran again in the weirwood. I really wish we had this scene from his perspective, is he angry at Theon or is he forgiving him? I like Theon's unconscious shift towards the old gods too.

* I think the warhorns are Arnolf Karstark's host, we know that Stannis uses trumpets and not a warhorn.

* Theon's discomfort at taking off his gloves was so pitiful. But his resolve that at least he wasn't naked, adds fuel to the fire that suggested he was gelded.

I liked the echo between Theon as "A Ghost in Winterfell" and Arya earlier thinking of herself as the ghost of Harrenhal.

And both happening under Roose Bolton's rule, ha.

The 3EC said that he isn't able to communicate when warging as a weirwood tree, yet it seems that Bran is able to. Perhaps Bran will be more powerful than Bran?

Very cool chapter. Especially liked the parts with Theon by the weirwood. It does seem Bran has some ability to communicate, though whether anyone will ever realize who is truly speaking to them will be interesting to see.

Also, I realized Abel was Mance earlier on but I never put the anagram together. Good stuff :)

Archived