[ADWD SPOILERS] A Ghost In Winterfell

Xray the Enforcer

And both happening under Roose Bolton's rule, ha.

The ghost of harrenhal escapades actually happened under Tywin’s/Amory Lorch’s rule, though it is a cool parallel.

Very cool chapter. Especially liked the parts with Theon by the weirwood. It does seem Bran has some ability to communicate, though whether anyone will ever realize who is truly speaking to them will be interesting to see.

You know, I really hope that Bran wasn’t speaking to Theon. It seems much better to me that Theon was just standing there in the Stark’s holiest of places, thinking about his life, and the rustling of the leaves (whether blown by Bran or not) sounded to Theon like "Bran" because he was thinking about him. It’s like the comet in ACOK – everyone thought it meant something completely different, and saw in it what they wanted to.

I’m really digging the Stannis/Roose confrontation. I thought that Stannis was in enormous trouble, but seeing that Arnolf would have stabbed him in the back, the snows may actually have saved him and doomed Roose’s alliance – it worked ok when they all have space, but now they’re all bottled up getting cabin fever it’s only a matter of time before a mass brawl breaks out. It was brilliant seeing Roose’s cool exterior crack, even for a moment.

Regarding the drums, is it possible that it’s the northern clansmen? We know they could travel much better in the snows than Stannis’s main troops. If Roose’s men on the battlements can’t even see past the outer wall, they’d have huge problems fending off the northerners if they have the equipment to scale the walls.

I posted this in another chapter it was relevant to, but does anyone else think that Bran is seeing all this?

Interesting that Theon can (seemingly) hear him... Just imagine the show Bran is getting from the tree these day! Yeesh :-)

But whether or not he is seeing it in real time is dubious bearing in mind the visions of his father and other ancestors he's seen previously?

But whether or not he is seeing it in real time is dubious bearing in mind the visions of his father and other ancestors he's seen previously?

Long term strategy, Brand is setup as Intelligence Network.

He's got he eyes via trees.

He's got the crows to send messages--remember crows use to say the message instead of the Maester's inks on parchment.

But yeah, real time relay versus past weirwood experience needs a tweak.

I don't think Bran can talk through the trees any more than any other greenseer can. We've seen that people often think they hear voices and sounds while praying at wierwoods since the first books, with Osha telling Bran to listen to the trees. I think the suggestion is that these sounds are greenseers, but that they can't make enough sounds to do more than spook people.

I don't think Bran is going to be any different in this respect.

Not sure who the warhorn is. Could Stannis have found another ally? The craggonmen don't have any Boltons/Freys/Ironborn to contend with now. But I don't see them using warhorns and drums.

Speaking of Ironborn, there's also Dagmar Cleftjaw and his crew. I don't see why they'd attack Roose though.

I have a feeling this might end in a stalemate, with Roose bending the knee to Stannis and perhaps giving up Arnolf Karstark, Whoresbane Umber and perhaps Ramsay as part of the deal.

Pretty cool chapter. I like the Godswood scenes a lot myself. Theon goes to the Godswood again, and GRRM notes that it is windstill, yet the leaves are rustling. Then Theon hears the trees whisper "Theon". He then thinks to himself "they know who I am".

Then the tree actually murmurs "Bran". When that happens Theon thinks that for a moment he can actually see Bran's face in the trunk.

I think we are seeing that Bran is already learning to communicate via the trees, in the present.

I think we are seeing that Bran is already learning to communicate via the trees, in the present.

He might not know it is the present yet. That might have even happen in Bran's future. Warging into the weirwodd trees looks difficult and controlling what they see looks even more complicated. But Bran is a fast learner and I believe that by the next book he'll be able to omunicate through other trees/animals and control what he sees.

I rather like the idea that Bran has somehow learned to communicate in some form via the weirwood, either that or maybe these are just his attempts at using the weirwood like he uses animals/Hodor. Flailing around, only managing whispers and rustling leaves.

It does seem to have helped Theon, so it's all good!

I've been really enjoying Theon's storyline in this book. Quite surprising, considering I came into this loathing him. Go figure. (Go GRRM?)

Another great chapter. The scenes at the godswood are so chilling. Really hope that it is not Stannis' forces arrived at Winterfell, but the Karstarks instead.. and great ending! Wonder what we will see at Winterfell come the next chapter!

* Theon's discomfort at taking off his gloves was so pitiful. But his resolve that at least he wasn't naked, adds fuel to the fire that suggested he was gelded.

Man, I didn't pick that up but it makes sense now, I recall him thinking that "those days were over" regarding him bedding whores. Plus I didn't realise until now what he was trying to say when Ramsay told him to get his bride ready - Theon said " m'lord, I have no... I...". He's worse off than I thought! Poor bloody bugger. Now I know what Ramsay meant when he says to Theon that he's not even a man now.

Also I was slow about Abel being Mance. After that letter from Ramsay to Jon, Mance will wish that he was burned and died in that fire instead of Rattleshirt. He saw what Ramsay did to Theon...

I thought it was a great chapter. A highlight for me is when Theon noticed a flash of fear is Roose Bolton's eyes when it looked like the Frey's and White Harbor Knights were going to get into it. At first I thought Mance was just using Winterfell to get in on the feast and enjoy a roof over his hed for a while, but it's cool to see him taking out guys during the night.

I don't think Bran can talk through the trees any more than any other greenseer can. We've seen that people often think they hear voices and sounds while praying at wierwoods since the first books, with Osha telling Bran to listen to the trees. I think the suggestion is that these sounds are greenseers, but that they can't make enough sounds to do more than spook people.

I don't think Bran is going to be any different in this respect.

For all we know, each of those events could have been Bran trying to communicate. Perhaps they are just noise from the wind, or perhaps one has to be in the right frame of mind in order to "hear" the weirwoods speak. So far, those that hear or are being communicated to are praying to the trees. Ned, Bran, and now Theon, all praying for something. Or it very well could just be people hearing what they want to hear. Who knows.

I never got the anagram either. In fact, when the first poster mentioned anagram, I was thinking "how the hell does Able=Mance?". I had forgotten all about Bael. Nice work guys.

Good chapter. We are really seeing this all come to a head now, which is great. However, as a huge Manderly fan, I am concerned. He only has a few hundred men in Winterfell? What is he actually going to do when Stannis shows up?

Also, I did note an editing error which was rough. At the very beginning of the chapter, the men are all in the hall eating breakfast (crusts soaked in bacon fat, the lords eating the bacon), then one of them makes a comment, then suddenly lunch is being served. Either a mistake or Manderly is running the kitchens in Winterfell...

Archived