[ADWD SPOILERS] Jaime

Xray the Enforcer

Brienne already owes a debt to Cat... I think she wants to make good on at least one oath she swore to her. It may take a while, since Brienne has such regard for Jaime... but I think it may just happen... (not in ADWD of course).

As far as the rest of the chapter, I really loved it. I missed reading first hand about King's Landing. Did Jaime say something about wanting to tell Myrcella someday that he was her father? And I also loved the slight reference to Bracken's (I think) bastard child... that it wasn't clear it was sired by him because he was lots of dark hair, and the child in question was fair haired. Umm... sound familiar? I wonder if this guy will make the connection.

Good chapter. I want more!

Enjoyable chapter. Was nice to see Jamie doing some (more) good in the Riverlands and cool to read about the history between the Brackens and the Blackwoods. As someone else mentioned, I also got the feeling that Raventree could prove to be more than meets the eye considering what we know through Bran's chapters.

I can see Brienne leading Jamie to Lady Stoneheart (I refuse to relate that thing with Catelyn Stark) but I don't think Jamie will die there. No way he dies before a reunion with Cersei.

Hope I won't have to wait until TWoW for more Jamie/Brienne but that'll be the case from the looks of things.

• 1 month later...

Am I the only one who got slightly bored reading this chapter ? I am starting to get bored of unrelated story (as I am of new characters showing up), and I seriouly doubt that all this chatter on the two different families will bring anything in the story.

At this point I would love some of the action move foreward, and this is going reaaaaaaaally slow.

• 3 weeks later...

Nobody thought it was strange when Jaime started talking about the BwB? It just came out of nowhere to me....

And everything about Brienne is just unclear to me. If the theory that the Hound is not dead can be believed, then perhaps she is not liyng to Jaime and she believes that the Hound holds a Stark girl. Maybe she said Arya or Sansa and Lady Stoneheart let her explain everything about her quest to find them.

But what do I know? I guess we'll just have to wait...

• 1 month later...

I posted this on another thread. Figure I'll post here too b/c it's the same subject.

I feel like Brienne did lie to him about the Hound, and she is leading him straight to Stoneheart. But I also feel like Brienne wouldn't betray Jaime completely without knowing he would have a chance to share his complete story with Stoneheart. Apologize about Bran, confess about his affair with Cersei. Give a complete explanation about the slaying of the Mad King. Confess to it all! I feel it could be one of the most dramatic and emotional chapters of the entire series.

And after being judged, he'll be aloud to walk, as long as he wins his trial by combat versus either the real Hound, or Lemoncloak. And after winning with just his left hand, he may even be given a new right hand by Thoros of Myr (is that even possible?).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Doubtful on unBrienne. Why hang her just to bring her back? Jaime is more muscle than brains, but definitely not an idiot. He should be able to sense that he is walking into a trap. Plus Brienne will never be able to hide it on her face. He'll know something is up.

Brienne may also have some plan of her own. Why even go to Jaime at all? Why not just make a run for it?

• 1 month later...

Am I the only one who got slightly bored reading this chapter ? I am starting to get bored of unrelated story (as I am of new characters showing up), and I seriouly doubt that all this chatter on the two different families will bring anything in the story.

At this point I would love some of the action move foreward, and this is going reaaaaaaaally slow.

I totally agree with you. GRRM needs to create a whole (and most useless) chapter to tell us a two paragraphs event that summon the 8-10 pages that we've read.

The book itself is getting too complex. If the 'Song of Ice and Fire' was already complete, with, I don't know, 15 books, i would gladly read the books without questioning. But when you spread the story like he's doing, resurrecting the deads, adding dozens of new characters and stuff like that, you start to get bored and questioning if the author knows what he is doing.

• 2 months later...

One of my favorite lines from this chapter (paraphrasing here!)

Bracken: My Lord, I had no idea you were coming.

Jaime: I seem to have interrupted yours.

LOL! Anyway. It was great to see Brienne make a return. And the fact that she wants to roll out with him "alone" is like :o

I hope Brienne attempts to slew his crippled ass >:P

• 2 months later...

I'm now posting to these old threats coz I'm still reading and don't want to have too many spoilers in the open forum.

I would just love the Jaime & Cercei thing to end so that Jaime would protect someone (maybe Tommen or Myrcella) and end up killing Cersei and then comment ”the things I do for love”!

One thing about unBrienne comes to mind, if she really is dead and resurrected, maybe someone can control her now? Maybe that is the point killing her first and then resurrecting? We know that this works for wighs.

Personally I don’t think that Brienne is dead, the ending was left open when she cried out the word (apparently Sword). And that in my mind also leaves it open is Pod dead or not. Last time we saw him he was kicking and trying to tuck the rope from his neck.

I sure hope Brienne and Jaime aren’t going to unCat. I just hate hate hate her!

There are many loose ends in the comments.

About the history that Brienne tells to lure Jamie, I can't remember what we know she knows, but she can have learnt from the BwB. She met Gendry and heard about the slaughter at the inn. She might refer to Arya, not Sansa.

We also know about the Hound. He has died only in a sense; he is at the Quiet Isle trying to live a new life (No spoiler; re-read the chapter on Quiet Isle, and remember the last tiem time we saw him, he was dying from a festered wound in his LEG, when Arya refused him the gift of mercy. We can guess what's missing.)

No wonder Brienne looks older, after the gag she received from Biter. She was about to die, and then was hanged. Something we learn on the books is: pain makes you older (and sometimes wiser).

Who's the valonqar? It's High Valirian for "little brother". Cersei thinks of Tyrion, but we are told repeatedly that she was born BEFORE Jaime. Tommen is also valonqar to Joff, but I'd found it queer. I guess Jaime wil kill Cersei.

Cat and the BwB have gone nasty. All about, we're told that dead have a bad come back to life. I guess Jaime and Brienne are going to put and end to this.

And, last but no least, she was required to KILL Jaime, not to take him anywhere. She's not doing what she was asked for, so, she must be doing something else. Keep guessing.

• 1 month later...

Jaime is really the dude now

Compassionate Jaime (lets the Lord keep his 8-year old daughter, takes the bookish son instead)

Shows more respect to the Lord who fights to the end than the turncloak (Jonos)

Treats the inhabitants of the village with respect (promises not to steal anything , just shelter)

Is there a fairer and more just commander in Westeros these days? Stannis perhaps.

On the other hand, I think he was quite secretly aroused by that woman in Jonos tent - he deffo noticed the "turnips"

Yeah, Brienne.. It is probably her. GRRM leaves it doubtful whether she's undead or not. I'd say no (too many undead.. what next? unBrienne leading Jaime to UnCat so they can kill him and send unJaime kill Cersei, then maybe we'd have unCersei too (thanks to Qyburn), leading unGregor ... too many zombies if you ask me! Let's stick with UnCat/UnGregor, that'll be enough..

• 4 months later...

Was there any significance to Hildy? I don't know if there was so much information because she was a naked woman and two men were there, or if it's showing Jaime's... arousal? In AFFC when Pia was offered to him he dismissed her straight away and didn't think twice about it, so maybe this is showing that he's putting Cersei behind him now they've drifted so far apart.

And i really don't like where this is going! Poor Jaime. I hope he doesn't die, it would be a predictable ending and that's not George's style. But i don't think Brienne does have a plan. From the books and the show she seems to be a black and white character when it comes to honor and doing what's right. She was Team Cat before Jaime and she hasn't kept her promise. I have no idea what side she's on now. I hope i'm wrong and she does have a trick up her sleeve, but from Brienne i can't see it :(

But i don't think Brienne does have a plan. From the books and the show she seems to be a black and white character when it comes to honor and doing what's right.

I think she has one.

She has some skills at war strategies (she foresees Tywin Lannister move to force a crossing of the Red Fork).

She used to be black and white in matters of honor. But she heard Jaime's confession of how he killed the Mad King in order to save thousands and this seems to have affected her judgement, at least towards Jaime.

She made a promise to Cat as Cat was alive, an honourable woman who swore Brienne a similar pledge that now she seems to have forgotten:

And I vow that you shall always have a place by my hearth and meat and mead at my table, and pledge to ask no service of you that might bring you into dishonor. I swear it by the old gods and the new".

Brienne might see UnCat not as she was ,the woman she vowed to serve, but as Lady Stoneheart, a stranger to whom she owns nothing.

Archived