[ADWD SPOILERS] Jon 10

Xray the Enforcer

• 2 months later...

This was bothering me, too. The mermen are the Manderlys, and I seem to recall that one house's sigil is the Crab, but I can't remember who. The starfish reference escapes me, though. Any insights??

The mermen are definitely the Manderlys, but the crabs could be Davos Seaworth. I don't know how to relate Skagos to starfish, though.

I had a very terrible though after reading this chapter. What if Jon is really Azar Azai (or whatever his name was) and not Stannis. Mel has said that every time she askes to see A.A. in the fire, she sees only Jon. And what if the only way to wake up the sword is to kill the thing he (Jon) loves the most with it? Would that mean he would have to kill Ghost? I sure as heck hope GRRM doesn't go there!

I remember the prophecy of Azor Ahai, and using the conditions of Azor Ahai mentioned in this chapter ("...destined to lead the fight against the dark"; "[born] when the red star bleeds and the darkness gathers"; "[born] amidst smoke and salt to wake dragons out of stone.") I can think of 3 candidates for AA.

Daenerys: I deem her the most likely, because she gave birth to dragons round about when the red star bled, and her dragons hatched out of stone eggs, amidst fire (smoke), and when the War of the Five Kings officially started with Balon and Robb declaring themselves kings (seen as darkness gathering). Her dragons could well lead a fight against Others. Prophecies are often very ambiguous, so a dragon born out of stone may not necessarily be stone dragons.

Stannis: same reason Mel believes it's him, with his fire sword and Dragonstone business

Jon: He may well lead the fight against Others, and Mel sees him when she tries to see Azor Ahai. Again, because of the prophecy's likely ambiguity, it may have been that he was after all born of smoke (born of fire and ice, Rhaegar and Lyanna).

So Jon isn't very likely to be AA especially against the others.

• 4 months later...

I was truly shocked Lord Snow arranged the marriage between the Karstark girl and the Magnar. Like some of you have mentioned previously, Jon is now engaged within the quarrels of the realm. Not only the marriage,but sending out Mance to attempt a rescue mission for Arya AND aiding Stannis with the possible Arnolf Karstark betrayal. Even Three Fingered Hobb (I think that's the cook's name) was wary of preparing a wedding feast; the Watch takes no part in bloody marriages!

I would hate to see him meet a death similar to the Old Bear's... but man he is digging himself into hole! And now Val could be possibly returning with either Thormund as an ally or foe. Melisandre is right, keep Ghost close to hand Lord Snow!

P.S. Would the Young Wolf be considered a kinslayer for hacking off Karstark's head back at Riverrun? This girl mentioned to Jon that they share noble blood and Jon seemed to oblige. If that's the case I guess the Young Wolf was accursed after all.

• 2 months later...

Here’s a crakpot theory, what if Patchface is Azor Ahai reborn? Well he is “reborn” in Dragonstone don't remember though when it happened. GRRM is fond of crippled things, so maybe ? :cool4:

• 1 month later...

Pity Alys is married now, otherwise there could have been a nice catfight between her and Val :drool:

More seriously, Jon is playing a tight game. But he does it because he wants to do the right thing, I think.. which is not always becoming of a LC of the NW..

• 7 months later...

Here’s a crakpot theory, what if Patchface is Azor Ahai reborn? Well he is “reborn” in Dragonstone don't remember though when it happened. GRRM is fond of crippled things, so maybe ? :cool4:

I like this a lot. Maybe Patchface = AA is a little too extreme but there is definitely something going on there w this character. Wonder how long GRRM is going to make us wait until he reveals the backstory there.. Would be cool to see a flashback chapter of Patchface before he "became" a fool and what happened to him out at seas and who sent him to his death/whatever... even though we haven't seen anything like that yet.

• 10 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This whole marriage between Alys and the magnar feels weird to me. I know we shouldn't approach this with our modern point of view, but that marriage seems a bit fast and convenient to me. Funny how we sometimes blame GRRM for advancing the plot too slowly, especially in the last 2 books, but in this case, it feels rushed to me.

Also, why is Alys being so friendly with Jon? Didn't his family have her father executed? From what I've seen, the Karstarks aren't the most forgiving of people.

Archived