[ADWD SPOILERS] Theon 1

Xray the Enforcer

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have read on another post a theory that it was Theon who killed Walder and I wondered if anyone had any thoughts on this? They suggested that he has split the Reek/Theon personalities and can dissociate himself so doesn't realise he's done it. I thought this was quite interesting and wanted to know if anyone had any opinions!

Me too. Hopefully while shouting to all the sundry Northmen that Arya Stark has escaped, further fracturing the Bolton host.

I wonder if Theon ever showed Mance and the spearwives where the crypts are? Mance asked about it in the last Winterfell chapter. Here's hoping some of them have escaped to hide there.

Despite their contempt for kneelers, they seemed to have a healthy, if grudging respect for the Starks and Stark words.

I think that Little Walder was Ramsay's creature, while Big Walder was the one of the pair who was less apt to participate in Ramsay's cruelties. IIRC, in one of the Reek chapters Little Walder throws his horse's reins to Reek, who makes that note, while Big Walder goes to take care of his own horse.

As for Ramsay walking in putting on his swordbelt - they've just had a raven from somewhere. Theon sees Roose and Ramsey arguing, notes the raven and the wet parchment, but cannot hear them. The raven comes before the discovery of Little Walder's body, and before Roose sends the Freys and Manderlys out via opposite gates.

Something's up and I'm trying to figure out what it is. Could Davos have returned with Rickon? Could the castellan at White Harbor have sent a "celebrate! Rickon is alive!" message? That does not seem likely, but I'm not sure that there's much else that could precipitate that confrontation we witnessed. Maybe Rickon and Shaggydog are marching on Winterfell with a cannibal host. biggrin.gif

• 3 weeks later...

but why would a random (?) wildling woman care so much about Theon using the Stark words?

I asked the same thing. Thought that was odd.

Also, Jeyne's comment: "I'll do what he wants, with him or or....the dog." .... EWWWWW.

And Manderly. Manderly is awesome. Had to stop reading and discuss his Frey line with my husband.

Overall the chapter gets and A+

• 1 month later...

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Manderly has quickly become one of my favourite characters since the Davos chapters. Letting Davos go to find Rickon, "the north remembers", killing some Freys and baking them in pie to feed to their own family and now this. House Manderly! :cheers:

Where does it mention the pie, I think I missed it.

I was SO excited that he finally refers to himself as Theon, and not as Reek or the Turncloak. It's been so wonderful to see his arc through this book. I went from absolutely despising him, to pitying him, to cheering for him!

I guess I'm a little slow, but I did not realize that the washerwomen were the spearwives and that Abel is Mance. I had such an AHA! moment when I finally caught on. But now, most of them are dead, and we're not even sure what happened to Mance. I hope that he will be able to escape.

LOVE Manderley! He's becoming such an amazing character.

• 1 month later...

Wyman Manderly may have had one of the best lines in the series to date. Such a slap in the face to the Freys.

I didn't think it was Stannis outside of Winterfell's gates but they must have had a scouting report to know he is three days away. Although that whole thing could have just been a Bolton ploy to get the Freys and Manderlys out of Winterfell so that they don't break apart the fragile northern alliance.

Theon's chapters have been some of GRRM's best work. The transformation from Theon Turncloak to Reek and then finally to Theon Greyjoy has been so well-written and really makes me like Theon. I also think that this might be the last we see of him in ADwD but there is no way that he and Jeyne don't survive the fall. As someone else said, the snow should be piled up and provide a decent amount of cushioning. The only question is who they will run into first. I fear for Theon if Jon Snow gets a hold of them...

I cheered when I saw the chapter was named "Theon" instead of "Reek" and I was so pleased by the ending. It certainly looks as if Theon and Jeyne have escaped. I really hope things get easier for the both of them. The Sun's Son put it perfectly when he/she said that the transformation from Theon Turncloak to Reek and then back to Theon Greyjoy was so well written. Martin is a genius. He has managed to do a Jamie with Theon and I really hope that he gets a chance to redeem himself properly. Saving Jeyne was just the beginning. I can't wait to find out what happens next. :o

• 2 weeks later...

This was the most intense chapter since the Red Wedding for me!

My god, how the hell does GRRM just throw in suspense / thriller in the middle of a political, fantasy book & get away with it? It's because he's a genius!

Things are really starting to pick up ^_^ first Danaerys, now Theon :)

• 1 month later...

GO MANDERLY!!!!

I loved his comment about growing up to be a Frey and overall I love his character!

I'm also loving Theon's chapters, but I'm feeling a little sad for Winterfell. It just feels wrong that the major castle of the north is hold by the stupid Boltons, and I cannot stand the fact that Barbrey Dustin is such a regretful woman and that she won't let Ned's bones rest in Winterfell...

About the murders, well I know it won't make much sense, but what if the killer is indeed a ghost in Winterfell?? I remember someone saying that the statues were carrying swords because the swords kept the spirit of the dead within the bones. There are a couple of swords missing so maybe the spirits are free to go wherever they like within the castle.

I hope things get better for Theon and Jeyne but im not that hopeful, this series is way too tragic for hope. I think the Starks are gonna come back in the winter and get some good ol' fashioned family vengeance. And although I think Manderly's comment was cool I cant honestly support him if he baked freys into pies or killed the little frey. Theirs revenge and theres pointless cruelty.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, this chapter was brilliant from start to finish.

I think Mance will be safe, I don't know how, but he knew what was going to happen and he isn't stupid, he'd have something planned for himself to either disassociate himself from the spearwives or somewhere to hide. I think Theon and Jeyne will both survive the fall but one of them will probably be injured. I don't think these warhorns are going to be Stannis, but I don't know who else they could possibly be, but I love that theory on it being Sansa returning with Littlefinger and an army.

• 2 months later...

Archived