[ADWD SPOILERS] Daenerys 9

Xray the Enforcer

So wait, am I getting this right? People are upset she whipped Drogon into submission?

Aye, she refers to the dragons as her children. And she's called Mother of Dragons. What do you do when your child is being extremely bad? When he simply doesn't take "no" for an answer and speaking to him just work because HE'S TRYING TO EAT YOU? You just wave your finger in his face and say "tut tut, you're being a bad boy. Let us discuss this mannerism over a cup of tea." Or you might spank the kid. Or something like that.

But then: You don't spank a dragon, I don't think Drogon would even notice if she did try spanking him. No. You whip him and you whip him good. Teaches him not to do stupid shit like that again.

And don't give me any crap about how cruel and morally wrong it is to spank/beat a child. We're reading a book that is based on medieval world. I don't think they had any problems with slapping and beating your children if they were acting stupid.

Finally! Delighted that before Drogon turned up during the chapter she seemed to be opening her eyes to the world around her just a little. Hizdahr will demand the dragons be killed now, which should spur her to see them all for who they are hopefully.

I was going to say that if they just fly West from here though I'd be happy- trust Barristan to rope in Quentyn and bring the other 2 along, as ridiculous as it sounds. But now I want to see one or two more Meereen chapters, where Dany dishes out justice to all the ones that have been manipulating her and terrorising the slaver army. Only a hunch, but Dany's chapters may just have turned a corner!!! Praise the Seven.

So wait, am I getting this right? People are upset she whipped Drogon into submission?

Aye, she refers to the dragons as her children. And she's called Mother of Dragons. What do you do when your child is being extremely bad? When he simply doesn't take "no" for an answer and speaking to him just work because HE'S TRYING TO EAT YOU? You just wave your finger in his face and say "tut tut, you're being a bad boy. Let us discuss this mannerism over a cup of tea." Or you might spank the kid. Or something like that.

But then: You don't spank a dragon, I don't think Drogon would even notice if she did try spanking him. No. You whip him and you whip him good. Teaches him not to do stupid shit like that again.

And don't give me any crap about how cruel and morally wrong it is to spank/beat a child. We're reading a book that is based on medieval world. I don't think they had any problems with slapping and beating your children if they were acting stupid.

I take it you beat your children? :whip:

I take it you beat your children? :whip:

So, because I accept that during war there are evil and horrible things done to innocent people, like murders and rapes, I must be a rapist/murderer myself?

Okay that's slightly bad example because I actually approve of Dany beating her dragon, while I do not approve of rape and murder, but you should get the point. :D

The people of that time had different moral standards, so it's wrong to judge them on our own elevated standards.

Besides, I don't have children.

wow great chapter!!

been lurking a while but had to register after that, hi all!

GRRM built the tension up really nicely here, you just knew something wild was about to happen.

it seemed to me that Belwas was poisoned too and I noted that it was Hizdahr who had prepared the food and drink and was trying his best to get Dany to eat some.

didn't she drink some sweetwater too?

this Hizdahr guy is very dodgy indeed.

I was finding the Dany chapters very boring up to this point too, so it's great to finally see some real action in her arc.

I find it weird that people are upset about Dany whipping the dragon, didn't he also have a spear shoved through the back of his neck?

also let's not forget this was at the fighting pits where people (and the poor boar!) were dying horrible deaths.

Hmm, never considered that Belwas would be poisoned. If he was, it almost certainly was meant for Dany. But why would they put poison in a dish of locusts? Has the poisoner not observed that Dany's appetite is unadventurous and prefers her figs?

For some odd reason, Dany's preference for figs reminded me of Augustus in "I, Claudius"

(eating only figs when he began to suspect he was being poisoned)

that I was completely sure the locusts were poisoned. Poor Belwas, I fear.

It's good to see Dany finally realizing that she was doing it wrong, good to see naughty Drogon back... and excited to see her riding him!!!

I knew people would wonder about animal cruelty!

I think the idea is that dragons are wilder and fiercer than any animal in our world, and they respond to strength, and interact fairly violently.

This is how I read it as well. Drogon is batshit nutso w/o a firm hand and given his name, we are made to believe that this dragon--above all others--would understand strength first and foremost.

This chapter had me in tears. I started bawlin' my poor head off the moment Dany entered the pit.

Ahh. I had to take a break from the book. But, I'm eager for Tyrion's next chapter as I am dying to see his reaction.

In earlier books, I thought Dany was quite possibly shaping up to be a strong and firm leader. Of course, like most people, I've found most of her decisions and actions in this book somewhat weak and stupid. "What are you doing, Dany!?"

You know what two things have changed since I thought she started being stupid? She exiled Jorah. Then she chained up her dragons and let Drogon slip her grasp. Now, I'm not a big fan of Mormont or anything, he's a bit of an a** if you ask me, but he did genuinely care for Dany, and as she has repeated herself a few times, always gave her good counsel. Ser Barristan is a good knight, and honourable, but as he himself admits, is a simple man who just lives by his sword and despite some good instincts still a bit clueless when it comes to giving a Queen good political counsel.

I think the dragons have the biggest part to play here, though. Dany IS a dragon - when she chained up V & R and lost D, she pretty much started to lose her identity.

As mentioned by others before, dragons are wild and fierce and respond best to strength and badly to fear. This is what Dany was trying to do. There's no way that whip really hurt Drogon more than a mosquito bite, but it served to show him "who was bosS" :)

Hopefully this will see the (re)birth of a stronger and more decisive Dany, and with her identity back, she will remember what her true purpose was - to claim Westeros.

YESYESYESYEYSEYSEYSYESYEYSEYSEYSEYSYEYSEYESYESYESYEYESYESEY~!!!!!

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

ETA:

Ok now that's out of my system... some other thoughts.

Last chapter Dany mentions to Quentyn that each Dragon will choose a rider from each generation. That means that now she has Drogon, the other two must choose their riders (and the reverse).

THAT is the reason that they have to be in the pit. So that any future dragon riders will be able to meet them, tame them, and ride them. Someone in Mereen will ride them before they leave, I'm certain of it now.

ETA2:

DANY HATERS TO THE LEFT.

I thought I would now take this moment to speculate on some Dany prophecy stuff.

3 mounts will you ride one to bed one to dread one to love.

(riding silver to her wedding knight, corpse in ship, blue flower in the wall).

As of last chapter, Dany has ridden three mounts if we consider the original interpretation that mounts = male lovers.

She certainly rode Daario :P and Drogo (so far Hizdar she sorta just lay there and took it so it might not count). So... if these 3 are supposed to be her only mounts, which is which?

Or do we have to reinterpret and now assume that she will have more "mounts" to ride than simply 3?

Another way to see it is that the mounts are not men she sleeps with as we almost all assumed? Instead, It could be that her mounts are Silver, Drogon, and ????? and sex has nothing to do with it?

3 treasons will you know one for blood one for gold and one for love.

In this chapter, Dany interprets the three traitors to be Mirri maz duur, Jorah and Brown Ben Plumm. But which does she think is which? MMD = blood for sure. Brown Ben = ??? (in their conversation, Brown Ben even says "money isn't everything" but I don't know if love really applies either, or if he counts as the traitor). And I still think Jorah doesn't fit since his betrayal was well before the prophecy which says "treasons will you know." Dany seems to have interpreted his betrayal as the "for love" one which really makes no sense. He loves her adn he betrayed her but he didn't betray her for love.

Wait, so people are legit whining that Dany's beating a fictious animal with a strong hide, a huge maw, a deadly tail and spikes on its back? Oh, and did I mention it breathes motherfucking fire! Someone call PETA! This is worse than when those mean, nasty GOT producers had Lady executed! We've got a regular Aerys III on our hands here!

In all seriousness though, this was a pretty kickass chapter.

You knew something big was going to happen at the pits. Like many others I expected it to be Jorah. Drogon was an unexpected surprise.

Speaking of Jorah, for some reason the irony didn't strike me in the previous couple Tyrion chapters. I just now got the irony of Jorah being branded as a slave.

I like Jorah, but its kind of funny, really.

1) for a secpond there, I thought Tyrion was going to die

2) O_O Oh my God....Dany the Dragon Tamer....or Rider rather. This. Has. Been. The. Most. Epic. Dany. Chapter. Yet.

what I actually thought was going to happen was that Dany would be consumed by fire then in the next Dany chapter would start with "Fire cannot kill the dragon." or something like that.

Tyrion was extremely fortunate that Dany was there, or he'd have been killed. I wonder if they will get back to that in a later chapter.

Cool to see Drogon back, and 20 feet wide. It's interesting that we heard in the previous chapter that a person can only ever ride one dragon. It looks like she and Drogon are a match now, so we know for certain that Rhaegal and Viserion will bear someone else.

Candidates?

Ones with Targaryen blood:

Quentyn

Aegon

Jon

Ones without it who seem strong candidates:

Tyrion ( could even be a Targ)- very interested in dragons all his life, and now around them.

Euron- Has a dragonhorn, but is it for real, and does such a thing even work?

Bran- his extraordinary warging skills mean he may be a rider, possibly a rider without actually sitting on top of one.

Archived