[ADWD SPOILERS] The Queensguard

Xray the Enforcer

I always had Barristan down as a bit of a bad-ass but this chapter sort of threw me off guard, excuse the pun but it did. Before, his age never afflicted him and now he complains about climbing stairs?

Do you think that's because we've never had HIS POV before, just others' view of him? Like, he's outwardly tough but inside, he's like "oh, my aching back".....

Love love love getting a Barristan POV chapter, I actually did a little happy dance in my chair.

• 2 weeks later...

Barristan chapters were some of my favourite in the book, after Theon and Davos. Like many I am also curious if we can gleam anything about ToJ from old Selmy.

"Some kings thought it right and proper to dispatch Kingsguard to serve and defend their wives and children, siblings, aunts, uncles, and cousins of greater and lesser degree, and occasionally even their lovers, mistresses, and bastards."

Some indication from GRRM as to why the Kingsguard was present at ToJ to begin with!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Ser Barristan the bold is a awesome charcter, reminds me of Ned, maybe thats why I started to like him so quick

Same here, I always liked Barristan since book 1 all the way till now and beyond. given he has been absent for almost 3 entire books Barristan is still one of my favorite characters

Ser Barristan Selmy, one of my favorite characters since book 1, awesome to see things from his POV. Hope we get to know more history through his eyes.

I was really excited to finally get a chapter from Ser Barristan's perspective. The chapter itself was a bit of a letdown, but it was still nice to hear from Barristan.

I think his philosophy on life can be summed up in the statement:A man should smell of sweat, not flowers.

Oh Barristan! You remind me so much of Ned that it makes me heart break all over again.

• 3 weeks later...

Loved the guy ever since he threw his sword on the royal marble in front of Joffrey's feet and stormed out of the red keep in anger, not willing to just "retire". Glad I got to look in his head, however this chapter seemed a bit full of administrative blahblah. But at least it made me happy that he's still around and still there for Daenerys. Reminded me a bit of Brienne how they're both so honorable and blame themselves for "failing" their missions to protect.

Hope he's going to put that sword of his to good use other than serving him as a walking cane.

• 3 weeks later...

So, was this the new POV chapter that GRRM came up with to solve his Meereenese Knot? I don't really get what was so important that we learned here that it kept the whole story from proceeding for so long.

I too don't understand what the deal was about. The last chapters have been awesome, the scene with Drogon was the best Dany chapter in this book. But I really don't understand why we needed so much filler chapters to this point (well in hindsight it looks like filler to mee - I think 3 chapters on Dany struggling would have been enough). I could have easily gone with 200 pages without Dany, but more Bran than endure fillers in sake of the merging timelines. Really don't see the "Knot" so far...

• 2 weeks later...

What was up with his headache/migraine at the end of the chapter? Just a sign of old age or perhaps it is something more...or perhaps I'm reading too much into it.

Anyway, it was nice to have a brand new POV even if the first 3/4 of it was rather boring. The Shavepate brought some interesting news about a Volantene attack and implicated Hizdahr in a number of shady ordeals. I always knew there was something a little off about him and now it all makes sense that he only wanted to give Daenerys her "peace" so that he could take the power for himself. Can't wait for Ser Barristan the Bold to bury his sword in His Worship.

That being said, bring on more Dany! The suspense of where she and Drogon went is killing me. With the talk of khalasars I have a feeling she is going to be encountering someone from her past...

• 2 weeks later...

I hope he frees the other two dragons. That would be awesome. I don't want those two dragons to die trapped. He seems like such a sensible man. He needs to free the two trapped dragons. They would help his cause and prevent the people of Meereen from being slaved again.

With two dragons, the city could be saved. They're smaller than Drogon. I suppose Tyrion could fly one. He's small. I'm so disappointed that Ser Barristan didn't recognize Tyrion at the pit. Then, again, Tyrion was wearing a helmet and Ser Barristan had last seen Tyrion with a nose and far less scars.

• 2 months later...

"The world was simpler when I had a Lord Commander to decide such matters."

Well, it was smarter at least.

What really puzzled me when I read this was the fact that as far as I remember Barristan Selmy was the Lord Commander of the Kingsguard when he got dismissed at the end of GoT...

• 5 months later...

^ That's what I thought too.

I don't think it's so easy as just freeing the dragons. They're not tamed for one. Then where would they go?

I was surprised he was given a PoV chapter. At first I was iffy about it, but I really liked a point of view from someone who isn't Dany caring mostly for the "children". I can't say I'm surprised that Hizdahr is actually evil. Kind of glad that there is a possible assassination coming his way since I'd prefer Dany with another of her many suitors.

I hope Missandei makes it out okay too!

• 3 months later...

The problem I have with all these Meereen chapters is that not much actually happens in each of them. They're quite short, and we learn a few interesting facts in each, but not that much. Is it me, or were the chapters in the early books (AGOT, ACOK, ASOS), much longer?

Archived