[ADWD SPOILERS] The Iron Suitor

Xray the Enforcer

It will be interesting to see whether the Ironborn crew will convert to Rh'llor. Victarion probably will (although he sees himself as a god-fearing man).

Why the surprise that people confine in mute people? Writing is a very rare skill in those times (just like in the real Middle Ages), a mute is pretty much incapable of communicating words to anyone. Learning to write, as an adult, would take a very long time and require an individual to allocate most of his day to it, which very few illiterate people can. I'd say it's pretty safe to confide in a mute.

Yep, feel sorry for the maester too... a young life, full of horrors.

• 2 months later...

Honestly, Victarion was my favorite new character introduced in AFFC. And if you did not read his POVs in AFFC, then you missed your chance to be introduced to one of the most badass characters in the series. I'm just hoping he gets to keep his hand. I love his last line... SO BADASS :D. I also wouldn't be surprised if he sacrificed his consort, he mentioned earlier hes always wanted to kill her, just never got around to it.

I really like Victarion as well. I am finding all of the Greyjoy's more interesting than I thought at first, but Euron is way too creepy ( I think it is the blue lips) and Aeron is a but of a fanatic.

However, Victarion feel's a bit like an underdog in his family, but he has earned huge respect in the Iron Islands. I mean, he is in charge of the Iron Fleet. He is a brute, no doubt, but he is a warrior.

He is waiting for the ship's in his fleet to regroup after the storms, but he know's that he must not wait much longer. Rumor is the Dragon Queen was dead, and he needs to get to Meereen as soon as possible to prove the rumor false and claim her for himself. I love that he is planning to marry her to undercut his brother Euron. I love that he does not seem to imagine she may not want to marry he or his brother. I love that he is not slightly bothered that he will have to make her a widow before he can make her his wife.

That is single minded determination!

He claims Moqorro as his own wizard when his whole crew wants the Red Priest tossed into the sea. It turns out that Moqorro is one of the few people Victarion doesn't toss overboard (alas, poor maester).

I want to know what happened in that cabin. I want to know why the dusky lady hissed at the sight of the priest. I want to know what the wild laughter and strange high wailing was about, and why it caused the shit-throwing monkey's to leap screeching into the water.

I found this chapter fast paced and rather envigorating! Could not wait to read more of Vic and the Iron Fleet!

(I needed to edit because I realized I had combined two chapters and did not want to create a spoiler unintentionally)

• 2 weeks later...

I too found the change in perspective disturbing. I can't imagine an explanation from within the story like an out-of-body experience. I think then it would have been more explicitly described as a such.

So if Martin really uses this as a trick to cover up what's happening in Vic's cabin, it would be really cheap. Why not go for something like waking and falling into coma a couple of times, so Vic could remember his men at the door, the chanting and possibly the apes splashing into the water?

I wonder if he had the maester killed because he actually was the poisoner or because Moqorro said so. From the text I thought Martin was hinting that the poisoner was the dusky woman.

Remember how Victarion himself thinks that poison was for women and directly asks her who else might be behind this, blind to see that she was the only one beside the maester to touch his hand.

Also Moqorro states that death was in this very room (their cabin), which might be aimed at the woman as well.

Also her reaction to the priest was strange. She apparently did not notice him when Victarion brings him along (maybe due to his dark skin and the dark surroundings below deck), and smiles - perhaps she is relieved that the captain finished off the "wizard" on deck.

When she does notice him she is shocked, maybe because she fears that he might uncover her doings.

Archived