[ADWD SPOILERS] The Spurned Suitor

Xray the Enforcer

I can't see this ending well for our Prince of Dorne, it's a shame because I am sympathetic to the Dornish in general. I just hope we at least get to see what happens. I am afraid if Dany isn't out of Mereen on her way to Westeros by the end of this book she'll never get there.

Why does the Tattered Prince want Pentos so badly - who IS he?

An exile. He was elected to serve as prince of pentos, but left before he could assume the mantle. Penthoshi princes have short lifespans, if harvests, weather, or things go badly, the prince is overthrown and murdered. A new one is then elected. Rags wants to rule Pentos as a true king, w/ no opposition to him.

Could Quentyn be the second rider? I doubt but that would be cool. My hopes go on Tyrion as the second rider, and Aegon the third.

For Quentyn, I suspect that he won't survive this book, but is a brave man, I give him that. Steal a dragon, what a way to die.

Well this is a game changer... Can't see it ending well, although I want it to- I just want those dragons roaming free again, I don't care who's in charge of them!

Why does the Tattered Prince want Pentos so badly - who IS he?

Every time I read descriptions of him and his blonde hair my mind keeps coming back to the lost Lannister uncle. I know blonde hair isn't exactly unique to them, and I have no idea what he would have against Pentos, but every time we get a description I imagine it being him. No justification except the hair though!

My guess (and it will probably be wrong). He'll get a dragon to Westeros. Aegon will train/ride him, then Dany will ... well... who knows. Hopefully she gets to the Wall and wastes some blue-eyed freaks.

I have a feeling we're going to lose a dragon, though. Very sad. I'm afraid to read further.

Could Quentyn be the second rider? I doubt but that would be cool. My hopes go on Tyrion as the second rider, and Aegon the third.

My hopes go on one or two or even all of the dragons dying before ever being ridden, the prophecy being as hollow as that about the "stallion who mounts the world", and Martin thus defying the whole fantasy cliché about prophecies always becoming true :P

I think Quentyn will at least get the Dragon out of Mereen, and maybe even all the way to Dorne, but I don't see him being a dragonrider.

Dany sees a plainfaced, boring guy in him. Barristan sees mud instead of fire. Even in his POV chapters, he seems to be written to have as little personality as they see in him. I can't see him ultimately being that big of a player in the story.

I can't see Dany, or anybody, standing for it even if he does manage to steal a Dragon so even if his plan succeeds, who is Dorne planning on allying with at that point?

I love the mud/fire analogy. It smacks of Maester Aemon's, Cold preserves but fire consumes. Which seems to be an interesting theme in this series. Whats odd is that some cold aspects of the world seem evil, i.e. the others and long winters while others seem good such as the Starks, the Wall and preservation. Similarly on the fire side, some is evil i.e burning at the stake and some seems to be good but only in the sense that is is against the evil aspects of cold.

Then there is the addition of blood which seems to ally w/ fire, especially in house Targaryen.

I wonder if a cohesive lesson will be able to be learned about the need to balance them all?

Yep I think the Prince of Dorne is about to do something stupid, for himself at least.

I am loving the Tattered Prince though. Best part of Quentyn's POVs has been the insight into these sellsword companies and their leaders IMO.

And he wants Pentos. Seems like he could be a much bigger character than Quentyn as the story goes on.

My hopes go on one or two or even all of the dragons dying before ever being ridden, the prophecy being as hollow as that about the "stallion who mounts the world", and Martin thus defying the whole fantasy cliché about prophecies always becoming true :P

I like this idea! Or at least dying before getting to Westeros.

Yep I think the Prince of Dorne is about to do something stupid, for himself at least.

Completely agree. I loved Drink's very wise advice (paraphrasing): "When Barristan the Bold tells you to 'cut and run', you really should leave, no point in being 'Bold' then".

I am loving the Tattered Prince though. Best part of Quentyn's POVs has been the insight into these sellsword companies and their leaders IMO.

Agreed. Old Tatters could also kick some real butt in Pentos and show the Fat Ilyrio a thing or two - that would be fun!

• 3 weeks later...

And he wants Pentos. Seems like he could be a much bigger character than Quentyn as the story goes on.

I like this idea! Or at least dying before getting to Westeros.

I agree. I think if Quentyn had the opportunity of being a dragon rider, we'd have seen some indication of that when he saw the dragons in Danys chapter. But, he was afraid of them and they didn't show an inkling of fondess or curiosity about him either. I realized they were chained and didn't seem too happy with their mother either, but we know they've shown fondness for Plumm. Perhaps that was the reason Dany took him down there. Maybe she wanted to see if they reacted to him positively. I can't understand why he'd think he could control one or ride one when he was terrified when he saw them, with their mother.

Archived