[ADWD SPOILERS] The Griffin Reborn

Xray the Enforcer

• 3 weeks later...
Why doesn't he just cut the offending fingers off? Seriously. Loved it when Haldon was suggesting he take a wife to cement Aegon's claim and gain allies and he looks at him coolly and just says 'I think not'. Seems a very definite, stubborn lord. Yes good pick up. He also made a comment to himself when he was thinking on Rhaegar, saying his eyes were very violet, more purple than 'this boy's' - probably nothing, but interesting how he said this boy instead of his boy, or his son. I know, I think it very well may become a bigger plot point. Terrifying in a way.. it may catch most everyone unawares.

I as well was more troubled after reading this chapter by the fact that jon reffered to aegon as "this boy " and not his boy or his son. especially since he was in love with the dad.strange.

• 3 weeks later...

Either Aegon's a fake or arrogance + an unworthy in a white cloak = dead at Storms End. There is no way he'll sit the iron throne.

I wouldn't go so far as saying "no way", but yeah. It looks REALLY unlikely. The name "Seven Day King" sudenly popped in my head. It would be kind of funny if he got kings landing and sat the iron throne for all of seven days. :lmao:

• 2 weeks later...

Am I the only one who thinks Aegon wanting to lead the charge is a bit stupid? if he dies before he gets to the throne, all those years of work go up in smoke.

Mhm, I am also concerned if it will really be a good idea to let Aegon lead the attack on Storm's End. Storm's End is no joke and then a green boy like him trying to prove himself at a keep like this. I mean I can see the meaning of him being in charge as future king, but I fear he might mess things up. I like the plan someone has suggested here with beating the small Tyrell host and then sacking Storm's End with pretending to be sellswords hired by Stannis. It's the only way I see how to win Storm's End in a short time anyway.

Yes, it's a gamble. And being the educated little guy that he is I would imagine he realised Storm's End cannot be taken by sheer brute force. Something clever will be needed. We saw him act as boldly (also necessary in a king sometimes) in striking for Westeros, an act in which the seasoned Jon Connington sees some merit on a balance of considerations.

Yes, on the one hand it's imperitive to survive. But if his rebellion fails he is unlikely to live. At the moment he is politically a little precarious. He has to win the support admiration not only of cautious lords but of the one force has in hand and relies entirely on, namely the Golden Company. Their Captain Strickland is already reluctant/scared to enter a fight as Connington observes. In the minds of many in the story a successful invasion of the Seven Kingdoms as a whole with only 10 000 Golden Company men hinges on his acquiring allies on the march. If this doesn't happen or the Golden Company starts to doubt him then he has serious problems. True, Connington is a well regarded and capable figure to command & rally in his name. But without any real proof that he IS Rhaegar's son he needs to impress and win respect in his own right. Old Targaryen loyalties are deep in many Westeros Houses but they may only take Young Griff so far. They don't have any allies yet. That is why they are taking Storm's End to start with.

If Young Griff has a plan of cunning and not brute force then perhaps Young and Old Griff have different ideas of the risks involved.

But this aside, I do think some youthful pride is probably entering into it. Young Griff was brazen eager to enter the fray while his party was on the river before there were political justifications for it.

Also, did anyone feel like this was really late in the book to introduce a new POV? It kind of came out of nowhere...I mean, yea we were introduced to him through Tyrion's POV, but still.

And I'm still having a hard time excepting "Young Griff"...he just kind of popped up out of no where in the grand scheme of things. Tyrion just "figures it out" ....I don't know. I will be skeptical if he's really who he says he is or not. BUT given the feelings Jon seems to have had for Rhaegar, it could be true...

Perhaps it could have eased in sooner. But we were introduced to Griff as part of a larger category. We knew about the many Westerosi exiles in Essos, much in mold of Jorah Mormont, displaced by the Blackfyre rebellions and the Usurper's War. We also know that the Golden Company, of which Jon Connington was once a member, soaks upon a great majority of these exiles and their sons. More than exiles they were founded under the banner of an exiled Targaryen bastard and have at least once attempted to invaded Westeros under the banner of a pretender to the Iron Throne (The war of the Ninepenny kings under Maelys Blackfyre). We also know that Rhaegar was loved by many and shadowed by an entourage of the most special of these. Then in ADWD one of them took on the face of an individual. One of many.

As for Young Griff, he was a little more sudden I agree. But were given an oblique clue when told that baby Aegon's head was smashed in (leaving him barely recognisable when presented to Robert Baratheon by Tywin Lannister). Anything not observed directly and unequivocally cannot be taken for granted in this series.

Ah really interesting situation there, I like Connington, he actually gets the shit done.

There's a reason he was raised to Hand (no pun intended) when rebellion crisis was peaking.

• 1 month later...
Also, did anyone feel like this was really late in the book to introduce a new POV? It kind of came out of nowhere...I mean, yea we were introduced to him through Tyrion's POV, but still.

We were given "The Lost Lord" PoV by Jon Connington earlier in the book, so this should actually be his second chapter, albeit under a different name.

So frustrating! Go into the kitchen when no one is looking and stick your damn hand in that vinegar!

Screw that action, cut the limb off and replace it with something cool like a hook or golden eagle talons. Yeah, go with an eagle talon and embrace the Griffin in you Jon.

• 2 weeks later...

If Aegon is ever to be respected as à ruler, he has to lead the attack on Storm's end. His valor should get him the throne, not only his heritage. He is in the same situation as Robb when he led the North. Robb knew nothing of war yet won many victories with the help of his leige lords. Aegon has just as many seasoned warriors with him.

And what of Loras Tyrell? He is the same age as Aegon and took Dragonstone. Yes, he is à great knight but that doesn't make him an experienced commander. People need to see their leader.

I am liking this new Aegon and I hope that he is brought à dragon soon. Also, taking Storm's end is à big deal and would mean à lot more if he makes his first conquest without dragons.

• 1 month later...

I as well was more troubled after reading this chapter by the fact that jon reffered to aegon as "this boy " and not his boy or his son. especially since he was in love with the dad.strange.

I see this as even more proof of Aegon being a pretender. If Aegon was a real Targ, you would think he would have been referred to as either Aegon, his son, or something else. Not this boy. I would bet almost anything on Aegon being a fake.

• 3 weeks later...

Jon Connington is quickly becoming one of my favorite characters. He gets shit done. In a book where some people take 10 chapters to move from point A to point B that is really refreshing.

I do wonder if Connington is actually gay though. He obviously was in love with Rhaegar, but when he was told that he should marry some lord's daughter he didn't exactly seem opposed to the idea of marrying a woman. He just doesn't want anyone to know about the greyscale.

So, I was thinking, can it be possible that the septa is Ashara Dayne, and the mother of Jon Snow?

EDIT: What if Aegon is not the son of Rhaegar and Elia but the son of Rheagar and Lyanna? I know, it's crazy, I don't even know if it's working time-line wise.

• 2 months later...

Very good chapter. I have a feeling Aegon is not going to succeed with Storm's End. Bad idea to have him lead the attack.

As for Connington, he is obviously a gay character and apparently so was Rhaegar.

Is it possible that Connington is Jon's true father with Lyanna Stark?

This chapter made me start to rethink my stand on the R+L=J. I still don't see it 100%.

We need to find out who Wylla was or that fisherman's daughter who said Ned get her pregnant and had Jon Snow.

WE NEED HOWLAND REED!!!! Or we need Bran to find it out while going into the past to follow his father.

1. Just because Jon Connington is gay, and had a crush on his best friend Rhaegar does not mean Rhaegar was gay. Also, it has been mentioned that Jon's love for Rhaegar was confirmed as unrequited by GRRM.

2. That being said, though possible, it seems extremely unlikely that of the two individuals (Rhaegar and Jon) that it would be the gay one who is the father of Jon Snow... just saying, if someones going to knock a chick up, its probably th dude that enjoys doing it.

• 1 month later...

And what of Loras Tyrell? He is the same age as Aegon and took Dragonstone.

Wasn't it confirmed in some chapter in AFFC that Dragonstone is actually still under Baratheon rule? Loras' eagerness to take the castle always seemed fishy to me...

Too bad he is sick, though... I bet he will lose the infected arm in some battle and live... Otherwise, what is the point of his conquest of his castle? Once he dies, it will return to the previous owners, so it looks as if it is in vain. Or maybe some red priest burns his arm as well?

Wasn't it confirmed in some chapter in AFFC that Dragonstone is actually still under Baratheon rule? Loras' eagerness to take the castle always seemed fishy to me...

I am pretty sure it said that Ser Loras was badly wounded while recapturing Dragonstone in AFFC... A Brienne chapter in AFFC though stated that riverrun has fallen but Dragonstone was still holding, so it may be some mystery or plot right there, who knows?

Also, I should note that I think it is a brilliant idea that Aegon Sack STorm's End.

I mean the symbolism alone fo a Targaryen taking down the ancestral home of the man who Usurped his throne sends a clear cut message throughout Westeros.

Agreed

I am pretty sure it said that Ser Loras was badly wounded while recapturing Dragonstone in AFFC... A Brienne chapter in AFFC though stated that riverrun has fallen but Dragonstone was still holding, so it may be some mystery or plot right there, who knows?

"Confirmed" was probably the wrong word. Let's say it is "suggested" that the whole business with Loras and Dragonstone is a deceit. But anyway, this is off-topic here.

"Confirmed" was probably the wrong word. Let's say it is "suggested" that the whole business with Loras and Dragonstone is a deceit. But anyway, this is off-topic here.

That might explain the sunken warships off old harbor... otherwise, what were they doing there?

Back on topic - he IS talking way too much of Rheagar, and in a strange view, beautiful singing, beautiful prince, etc... hmmm

AND he has no wife and children

• 3 months later...

Seriously! I really don't get his viewpoint of "oh, I'll be seen as less of a man if I cut off my fingers"...yes, but you will be ALIVE. So that all works out IMO!

He's isn't not cutting of his fingers because he thinks it will make him less of a man hes not doing it because he thinks his men will abandon him once they find out and he doesnt want to give away any clues.

• 5 months later...

Archived