[ADWD SPOILERS] Victarion 1

Xray the Enforcer

I am annoyed. Because I am enjoying this jerk's chapters. I don't like Victarion Greyjoy-less and even less his whole 'I had to kill my wife , it's my brother's fault!' nonsense. Too much like 'honor killings' which I despise and think are the height of arrogance and ignorance. But his chapters have been the most entertaining so far. I grudgingly give him that. He's not boring. I like his story. I just can't like him.

Though his comment about sailing the Dothraki Sea had me laughing out loud in a crowded cafeteria. It was just too much.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There's too much Conan in Victarion for me. The movie Conan, not the one from the books. GRRM obviously tried to write Victarions POV in a very simplistic, force and strength driven manner. As fascinating as that might be, it feels a bit too much cliche, when you read it. And it makes a rather boring read, too. The character is so simple, you always seem to know in advance, how he will react. "Problem? Kill it."

I think I'd have to agree. I don't get the feeling myself that Victarion is acting like a real Viking leader would have acted, but more like a cliche stereotype. I felt the violence in this chapter to be a bit over the top and found this to be one of the least interesting chapters.

• 3 weeks later...

This chapter made me remember why I hated the Ironborn POVs in AFFC - they are so highly pretentious with the Drowned God hoopla.Victarion's previous POV was alright, but he has taken a turn for the worst here.

The only Ironborn chaptersI enjoyed were of Asha and Theon.

I think healing his arm is part of it, and because of what he's doing in this chapter: sailing around, capturing ships, ordering people killed in a variety of ways.

But on the whole I think the chapter-headings have got a little out of control in the last two books. It's cheapening the effect a bit. If Martin wrote the series now he may well have called some of Arya's chapters "Arry", Bran's "The cripple", and Ned's "A northerner down south".

It would have been less jarring if GRRM employed this tactic since the first book, but as it happened he only started using this in the last two books, so it almost seemed like a (cheap) new trick.

Here's a theory.

We know Euron already had someone blow the horn, so maybe one of the dragons is already binded to him, the one who already broke his chain (Viserion?).

We know Euron has wizards, so one would assume he had the engravings translated and has done the blood thing.

Maybe he's just waiting for someone to free him and we'll have a dragon heading to his new master the Crows Eye in Westeros.

• 4 weeks later...

Sure, he's a somewhat cliched, simple-minded viking type, but it's working for me.

"The most beautiful woman in the world has urgent need of my axe."

I snorted when I read that. Would I want to be his neighbor? No. Do I like getting inside his head every now and then? Yes, yes I do.

As for whether Mel or Moqorro is the stronger sorceror/priest, my thinking is that Mel probably had more of a running reputation, largely going back to the time before the books, when true magic was weaker, and she had to rely on her chest full of powders and whatnot (going back to her earlier chapter). But now that magic is growing stronger, I think that Moqorro is more the real deal now. He survived 10 days at sea, comes on board, turns Victarions arm into whatever smoking, pork crackling thing it is now, and makes accurate prediction after accurate prediction. So I'ma have to go with Moqorro on that one.

• 2 months later...

A healthy dose of murderous intent is good in an antihero.

And Dany has a thing for bad boys...

He seems more of a brute then an Anti Hero to me. I don't hate the character and I think his chapters are great, but I doubt he is Dany's type. Daario is cunning and suave even if he is a tool, Victarion is older, bloodier, and lacks any real charm. I think she'd be more apt to have Ser Barristan kill him.

It really comes down to how he presents himself. If he comes in demanding things then he'll have to deal with her army. If he comes in begging her hand and telling her all of the things he did to get to her...well then I would see her killing him anyway and taking his ships. She hates people like him.

Archived