[ADWD SPOILERS] Cersei 2

Xray the Enforcer

I have a vague notion that someone, at sometime, somewhere said he was knighted by Ser Robert Strong, but said it in such a manner ("Ser Robert...Strong") that the POV character (this identity also escapes me) wondered if this was a lie. Coincidence? Am I crazy?

I have a vague notion that someone, at sometime, somewhere said he was knighted by Ser Robert Strong, but said it in such a manner ("Ser Robert...Strong") that the POV character (this identity also escapes me) wondered if this was a lie. Coincidence? Am I crazy?

IIRC it was Prince Rhaegar that knighted Gregor. I wonder whose giant skull is sitting on the pedestal in Dorne?

Anybody else notice that Cersei fell 3 times? A humiliating walk with a character that falls 3 times is much too significant to mean nothing. It's been a few years since I did the stations of the cross during lent, but the parallel here was like a hammer. Where's Martin going with this? If this was discussed on another thread, please direct me. Search was no help.

Anybody else notice that Cersei fell 3 times? A humiliating walk with a character that falls 3 times is much too significant to mean nothing. It's been a few years since I did the stations of the cross during lent, but the parallel here was like a hammer. Where's Martin going with this? If this was discussed on another thread, please direct me. Search was no help.

Huh. Really. Thats awesome. (er, in an awful way. I never would have spotted it, of course, though it occurs to me i've actually walked the stations of the cross a bunch of times. Its a shortcut sometimes.) Could you repost to the Cercei thread in the main forum? that seems like the place.

IIRC it was Prince Rhaegar that knighted Gregor. I wonder whose giant skull is sitting on the pedestal in Dorne?

Couldn't it still be Gregor's? Especially if this "new" knight in a combo of Gregor and some other person...

Odd combination of Jesus and the way the French treated Vichy/collaborator women after being liberated in WWII. Also a little touch of Joan of Arc (OT but I've always found it amusing how Jeanne D'Arc rhymes with Brienne of Tarth).

But I think more of post-liberation Europeans taunting women that took up with Nazis than I do any kind of religious figures here, with them shaving her and having her do a literal walk of shame through the streets of KL. There's no Veronica stand-in taking pity on Cersei, no Samaritan (though there is the guard that helps her walk a ways). Besides, Cersei's morally bankrupt and guilty of even more than she's officially being accused of.

I know that Cersei deserved her walk of shame...but as a woman, I did feel for her. To have her head shaved and to walk naked through the streets of KL with the people shouting names at her, its still hard. GRRMs depiction did leave me feeling pity for Cersei, despite her earning all of it.

And a UnGregor? What? How could that be? Confused :(

So he won't speak until he vanquishes all her enemies? Is that just a excuse to disguise the fact that this guy is a mute. A mute brute who could possibly be UnGregor with the parts of several female? Because in affc Qyburn often asks for women to experiment on?

So he won't speak until he vanquishes all her enemies? Is that just a excuse to disguise the fact that this guy is a mute. A mute brute who could possibly be UnGregor with the parts of several female? Because in affc Qyburn often asks for women to experiment on?

Maybe the females are part of some breeding the ultimate champion project rather than parts and pieces.

Eew.

Think I needs must vomit in my mouth a little.

I still think that the skull in Dorne is the one of the Mountain, we never see it's face here, only a great helm over it. Maybe doesn't even have a skull :S

Qyburn is so sick, it's a madman, like doc. Frankenstein.

I feel pity for Cersei, it's so hard picturing her walking naked, with all her hair shaved. In one moment I really think that she was going to get raped with the crowd.

Odd combination of Jesus and the way the French treated Vichy/collaborator women after being liberated in WWII. Also a little touch of Joan of Arc (OT but I've always found it amusing how Jeanne D'Arc rhymes with Brienne of Tarth).

But I think more of post-liberation Europeans taunting women that took up with Nazis than I do any kind of religious figures here, with them shaving her and having her do a literal walk of shame through the streets of KL. There's no Veronica stand-in taking pity on Cersei, no Samaritan (though there is the guard that helps her walk a ways). Besides, Cersei's morally bankrupt and guilty of even more than she's officially being accused of.

Actually, it reminded me a hell of a lot more of the mass rape of German women by the Red army soldiers near the end of WWII in 1945. Women were being sexually humiliated and violated, and these guys still got to tell themselves they were the heroes. (And, for the record, numerous Jewish women and German women who were anti-nazi/ helping Jews were raped as well. The moral judgement on the part of the invading soldiers was "women are women.") Just like there, here readers were treated to the spectacle of seeing Cersei graphically humiliated on a specifically female, overtly sexual level, and were happy to cheer/ applaud this misogynistic spectacle all while feeling morally justified/ superior. Because, you know, since Cersei's evil, she totally deserves to be humiliated and degraded on a sexual level. It's not as though, you know, she deserves to die but not be tortured slowly and sadistically for the readers delectation.

Plus, Cersei being "guilty" of banging the Kettleblacks after her husband's death is hardly a crime worthy of the humiliation dished out to her. And for her obvious crimes, she does deserve death, but not sexually themed degradation.

Myrish - a good observation/comparison of the scene. I think it's typical of GRRM that even when someone has to pay for their crimes, it's done in a way to make the reader feel uncomfortable about it. I do disagree that she deserves to die though. More fitting for someone so cruel in the pursuit of power to let her spend the rest of her days imprisoned and watch the future of Westeros unfold with no involvement in it at all.

Really not sure where Cersei goes from here. Even if FrankenGregor wins, I don't know how she can stay in King's Landing or hold any position of power back at the Rock.

So he won't speak until he vanquishes all her enemies? Is that just a excuse to disguise the fact that this guy is a mute.

Yeah, and I think Qyburn was having a bit of fun with it too. It reminds me of what the maegi said to Dany about how Drogo will be Drogo again when the sun rises in the west and sets in the east.

Archived