[ADWD SPOILERS] Cersei 2

Xray the Enforcer

Why does George make you feel sorry for people! I was all set to hate Cersei and want bad things to happen to her but this was terrible. She has been stripped of everything - even feeling beautiful. I know that she was guilty of lots of things but she's off my shit list now. Perhaps this will change her enough that Tyrion doesn't feel that he has to kill her when/if he returns to Westeros.

And UnGregor? Really? I was hoping that this wasn't actually going to happen. Dorne aren't going to be too impressed to find out for one thing and for another this is just a little too much fantasy for me. Dragons, yes; prophecies that sort of come true, yes; faceless me, yes; zombie knights - no way. Please don't jump the shark with all this magic stuff GRRM.

Actually, it reminded me a hell of a lot more of the mass rape of German women by the Red army soldiers near the end of WWII in 1945. Women were being sexually humiliated and violated, and these guys still got to tell themselves they were the heroes. (And, for the record, numerous Jewish women and German women who were anti-nazi/ helping Jews were raped as well. The moral judgement on the part of the invading soldiers was "women are women.") Just like there, here readers were treated to the spectacle of seeing Cersei graphically humiliated on a specifically female, overtly sexual level, and were happy to cheer/ applaud this misogynistic spectacle all while feeling morally justified/ superior. Because, you know, since Cersei's evil, she totally deserves to be humiliated and degraded on a sexual level. It's not as though, you know, she deserves to die but not be tortured slowly and sadistically for the readers delectation.

Plus, Cersei being "guilty" of banging the Kettleblacks after her husband's death is hardly a crime worthy of the humiliation dished out to her. And for her obvious crimes, she does deserve death, but not sexually themed degradation.

I think the thought process is "how do we best punish a woman without killing her?" and there you have her walk of shame.

As satisfying as it was for me to read this and see how far she has fallen, I would have much preferred to read how she was thrown in the black cells and someone go all mad scientist on her like she and Qyburn with the Blue Bard.

She got off easy(if this is her only punishment)

If thats all the punishment she is gonna get for everything she has done I will be very disappointed. A nude walk and some insults pffft :thumbsdown:

Well, she still has to undergo trial... I'm interested to see who the Faith puts up against this Ser "Robert Strong".

I know that she was guilty of lots of things but she's off my shit list now.

Yeah, but after the first Cersei chapter in TWOW she'll probably be right back on your shit list. :P

Just think of all the people she's tortured, killed and destroyed and how much she fubared the realm in the space of a few shirt months. Yes, the punishment was uncomfortable and inherently sexist, but she still got off way too easily. I won't rest until she receives the Theon Greyjoy treatment (and unlike Theon that punishment would probably be proportionate to her crimes). :)

Actually, it reminded me a hell of a lot more of the mass rape of German women by the Red army soldiers near the end of WWII in 1945. Women were being sexually humiliated and violated, and these guys still got to tell themselves they were the heroes. (And, for the record, numerous Jewish women and German women who were anti-nazi/ helping Jews were raped as well. The moral judgement on the part of the invading soldiers was "women are women.") Just like there, here readers were treated to the spectacle of seeing Cersei graphically humiliated on a specifically female, overtly sexual level, and were happy to cheer/ applaud this misogynistic spectacle all while feeling morally justified/ superior. Because, you know, since Cersei's evil, she totally deserves to be humiliated and degraded on a sexual level. It's not as though, you know, she deserves to die but not be tortured slowly and sadistically for the readers delectation.

Plus, Cersei being "guilty" of banging the Kettleblacks after her husband's death is hardly a crime worthy of the humiliation dished out to her. And for her obvious crimes, she does deserve death, but not sexually themed degradation.

Cersei is about as un-sympathetic of a character as you can get,having said that, I agree with you on several (if not all)points. This was as brutal as brutal gets,she deserves to have her head on a spike,but certainly not this, but that is the reality of GRRM's world,just like it is in our (all too) real one. Far too many people equate sex with power/dominance,and,all mobs behave pretty much the same,as noble and full of honor as Ned Stark was,the mob still jeered him and threw rocks at him when he made his "confession"

if Cersei was totally the opposite of the way she is,they would have still treated her the same.Dont forget she used sex to gain power,and was cruel and unjust herself,but,this made me cringe,and the fact that some of the readers seemed delighted with this,is probably making Martin cringe too.

I came in here to see how many would be expressing sympathies for Cersei and change their minds about how they feel about the character. (POV chapters do tend to have that effect on unliked characters in this book series. :P)

Don't get me wrong, walking naked and shaved through the streets is horrible punishment (and it did break the proud Cersei enough to make her cry).

I'm more interested in what's next. Will she have changed any after this treatment, will she be less...crazy?

I'm also interested in how the other characters will react. Will Tyrion no longer wish to kill her? Is a walk of shame payment for a lifetime's mistreatment? (Not to mention her paranoia about the prophesy.)

Will Jaime, if he survives his little adventure with Brienne, sweep his sister into his arms and go make more incest babies with her?

It will all come down to the next chapter...Which is many years into the future. *sighs*

Odd combination of Jesus and the way the French treated Vichy/collaborator women after being liberated in WWII. Also a little touch of Joan of Arc (OT but I've always found it amusing how Jeanne D'Arc rhymes with Brienne of Tarth).

made me think of the Princess Bride as well. Was anyone else half expecting the old lady to start yelling booooooo, slime filk, muck, etc. :lol:

It seems very likely to me that The Hound will be the champion for the Faith.

Wow that would be soooooo awesome! I hope you're right.

If Ser Robert Strong is destroyed by Sandor, his "little brother", Cersei will be proven guilty and executed. That could be how the "Valonqar" prophecy will be fulfilled...

If thats all the punishment she is gonna get for everything she has done I will be very disappointed. A nude walk and some insults pffft :thumbsdown:

Agreed.

Anyone else notice the part where she talks about Jaime not stupidly grabbing the lion's tail when they were kids? Once again she thinks this means she should have been the man because she would be so much of a better leader. Really? How dumb is she? Because she was stupid enough to grab a lion by the tail when they were kids she is the bold and fearless leader everyone needs? The story also seems out of character for Jaime who almost seeks death and opportunity to prove he is not afraid of anything.

Such a vivid chapter. I almost felt bad for Cersei. Almost. One would think that experience would have broken her, and yes it nearly did, but then at the end of the chapter we see that her resolve seems to have only strengthened. She's really not going to hold back on the people involved in making her walk.

Archived