[ADWD SPOILERS] Tyrion 12

Xray the Enforcer

Really? Nothing so far?

Tyrion's last chapter...his arc was rather boring. Tis a shame. I had really hoped he would meet up with Daenerys. Kind of a let down.

I left the book at home after a fast read. What happened in Tyrion 12 again?

I liked Tyrion's chapters but I'm not certain of what the fully story arc was. He started the book a drunk, not caring if he died and ended it more focused and cunning like he was in ACoK. But what is he trying to do now? Does he know and it just hasn't been fully revealed to us? Why bring him so close to Dany without them meeting?

If this is Tyrion's last chapter (I don't like looking ahead even at that) then I'm disappointed... but I can't help but feel we haven't seen the last of him yet. There's too many unresolved arcs in the East, one of them is bound to stumble across him, much like Theon a few chapters back?

Okay. What. This chapter was so boring idonteven and it was the LAST TYRION CHAPTER!?!?!

Literally half the chapter was Tyrion signing some forms or something I guess. What...?

Also, Tyrion chapters Needs Moar Jorah. And way less Penny. The last 5 Tyrion chapters Ive been bored out of my skull except for when Jorah is onscreen - at least he has interesting and changing motivations. And of course the karmic justice of Jorah becoming a slave after selling slaves was perfect. Tyrion OTOH just seems to be... surviving. What was the point of all this? WHAT?? GRRM could easily have made him get into Meereen instead of joining Plumm.

I enjoyed the first half of the book but this second half has just been really a let down.

Okay. What. This chapter was so boring idonteven and it was the LAST TYRION CHAPTER!?!?!

Literally half the chapter was Tyrion signing some forms or something I guess. What...?

Also, Tyrion chapters Needs Moar Jorah. And way less Penny. The last 5 Tyrion chapters Ive been bored out of my skull except for when Jorah is onscreen - at least he has interesting and changing motivations. And of course the karmic justice of Jorah becoming a slave after selling slaves was perfect. Tyrion OTOH just seems to be... surviving. What was the point of all this? WHAT?? GRRM could easily have made him get into Meereen instead of joining Plumm.

I enjoyed the first half of the book but this second half has just been really a let down.

Well hopefully Penny will get the bloody flux and die. But I think the main point of him joining Ben Plumm is because Plumm knew who he was. So I think he figured the best thing was for him to get Plumm on his side or there would always be the danger of him wanting to sell him for bounty. I thought that there were alot of chapters in this book and feast that we could have done without, but I think GRRM is setting the scene for the final books. Or at least I hope so. Itseems to me that there are just too many plot lines and sub plots, and plot twists to really get a grip on where the story is going.

Tyrion OTOH just seems to be... surviving. What was the point of all this?

Maybe that's the all point, showing Tyrion surviving outside his comfort zone.

In Westeros he’s a Lannister and that suffice to assure him a relative impunity.

We know he’s cunning, resourceful, but Essos was an alien land to him, he was lost, become a slave, has a taste to be a simple dwarf without the backing of a powerful house, no woman to love him (even whore) just a fellow dwarf, and he slowly rise when he met some westerosis who acknowledge his name and backup him for his gold.

Outside Westeros, Tyrion is nothing but now, he has the will to survive even has a common dwarf and I think that make him more dangerous/important for the rest of the story.

Tyrion's storyline has been deeply disappointing in ADWD. This final chapter underlines that all splendidly. He is stilla nice character to read about, but my Lord does he storyline meander in this book. The only chapters I liked was when he emt Griff's company, and GRRM quickly made an end to those.

I liked Tyrion's chapters but I'm not certain of what the fully story arc was. He started the book a drunk, not caring if he died and ended it more focused and cunning like he was in ACoK. But what is he trying to do now? Does he know and it just hasn't been fully revealed to us? Why bring him so close to Dany without them meeting?

So based on the last few sentences in this chapter, when Tyrion and Jorah are talking, Tyrion mentions that he's aware they're on the losing side, what with The Second Sons still supporting Yunkai, and that he means to change that. My guess is that Tyrion, master of words and wit, will somehow convince Plumm to turncloak again and rejoin Dany's cause?? Is this way too implausible?

I must be one of the few people who actually like how Tyrion's arc is ending in this book. His meeting Dany and being her Hand has been so common a theory the last few years as to seem like it had to happen with no alternative. I personally am loving him start to gain a bit of power through nothing but his wit, intuition, and sweet-talking. Honestly, I'd be fine if him and Dany being within 20 feet of one another was nothing but a tease, and they never interact again. The way Tyrion's mind works and his ridiculous self-preservaiton skills are very entertaining to read.

But maybe that's just me.

I read this as Tyrion's master plan to bring Plumm back to Dany's side. So the two will meet...eventually. Nobody ever gets to where they need to go in these books. So frustrating.

But Tyrion is being very smart. Plumm is a survivor and his company is very powerful. I see Plumm killing Daario. Remember, there are bold sellswords and there are old sellswords. But there are no old bold sellswords. Plumm will live. Darrio is a dead man. By Plumm or Selmy. Or Dany.

But I can see the issues people are having. I love all of the POV chapters for those in Westeros. I do not love the chapters of those across the Narrow Sea (other than Arya). But the timing and Mereenese knot issues are apparent and GRRM had to drag a lot of things out to fix them. That's why Dany nibbles on figs for 99% of the book and Tyrion kind of just floats around. This was to give time for Victarion and that Maester from Oldtown to get set up.

I really enjoyed this chapter! Tyrion seems more like his old self now - witty, cunning, and with some agency now. Love him and the sellswords. And I don’t mind at all that he and Dany have not yet met. Seriously, she barely even batted an eyelid when Quentyn showed up – what would make Tyrion seem more impressive to her? I like the fact that he has his own plans and is taking steps to put them into action now. We can be reminded of how smart and resourceful Tyrion really is.

I must be one of the few people who actually like how Tyrion's arc is ending in this book. His meeting Dany and being her Hand has been so common a theory the last few years as to seem like it had to happen with no alternative. I personally am loving him start to gain a bit of power through nothing but his wit, intuition, and sweet-talking. Honestly, I'd be fine if him and Dany being within 20 feet of one another was nothing but a tease, and they never interact again. The way Tyrion's mind works and his ridiculous self-preservaiton skills are very entertaining to read.

But maybe that's just me.

I agree!

I really enjoyed this chapter! Tyrion seems more like his old self now - witty, cunning, and with some agency now. Love him and the sellswords. And I don’t mind at all that he and Dany have not yet met. Seriously, she barely even batted an eyelid when Quentyn showed up – what would make Tyrion seem more impressive to her? I like the fact that he has his own plans and is taking steps to put them into action now. We can be reminded of how smart and resourceful Tyrion really is.

I disagree. I too found Tyrion's story very boring. Him meeting with Aegon/Young Griff was important and I like how he ended up with Mormont. But the rest was boring and just filler. At the same time Dany's chapters were also very boring. Simple way to have solved this, would be to scrap all travelling chapters after Volantis and have Tyrion arrive in Mereen about half way through the book and get him to meet Dany there and then. (I am sure timelines could be tweaked).

This would have resulted the remaining Dany chapters to involve her and Selmy interacting with Mormont and him trying to win back her trust, Tyrion talking himself into being her hand and let him sort out the mess in Mereen in a way only Tyrion will manage to do, Seeing Dany though Tyrion's eyes and get a different POV of her (which has not really happened yet) and Tyrion might have also succeeded in getting Dany to remember what she is about and get her arse moving for Westeros. And then Victarion would arrive with a fleet and some convenient dragon horn. I am sure Quentin would have been able to be written into all this as well.

This would have been a lot more interesting to read than Dany making daft decisions and interacting with a bunch of one-dimensional irrellevant ppl, who's names I had to constantly look up in the appendix to figure out who is who again.... Because let be frank, we are near the end of the book and I can understand the first half to be a bit slow, but the second half was waaayyyy too boring and nothing happens. Perhaps the handful of chapters left will give us a massive twist, but I doubt that somehow...... The only decent events happened on the Wall and in the North (Jon, Stannis, Boltons).

Just my 2 cents :)

I really have to say that Ben Plumm changing allegiance for the first time didn't sound like sense.

Although there is a coalition arrayed against Dany, we keep reading about how pathetic Yunkai's army really is. And Dany has unsullied, who actually won a battle agains dothraki that outnumbered them. So, they should be a match for the current besieging army ( yunkai+sellswords, i believe) even without dragons. And since the enemy is now outside the gates, there's less chance of the city rising in revolt.

I really have to say that Ben Plumm changing allegiance for the first time didn't sound like sense.

Although there is a coalition arrayed against Dany, we keep reading about how pathetic Yunkai's army really is. And Dany has unsullied, who actually won a battle agains dothraki that outnumbered them. So, they should be a match for the current besieging army ( yunkai+sellswords, i believe) even without dragons. And since the enemy is now outside the gates, there's less chance of the city rising in revolt.

I was under the impression that he had little choice. I had thought that he and his men had found themselves in a predicament (surrounded by Yunkai? or some such) and turned so as not to have to fight his way out. Maybe I am wrong on that one.

Archived