[ADWD SPOILERS] Tyrion 12

Xray the Enforcer

That's why you should never put all of your expectations in one specific thing to happen, neither in real life nor when reading a book. It isn't as if it said on the cover "A dance with dragons - the amazing book about Daenerys Targaryen and Tyrion Lannister meeting each other!"

Sure, you can hope and dream and plot. Like I was really hoping to see Gregor Clegane slain by his brother. But if it kills all the enjoyment of everything else in the book happening or not happening, because you're just waiting for this one incident (that was never promised), one may revise their expectations a bit. For me personally the fact that I cannot predict what's going to happen is part of the fun and excitement. Otherwise I'd just read "Waiting for Godot". Or watch "Titanic".

So, I really enjoyed Tyrion's inner transformation, the tease with almost meeting Dany (she's saved his life, by the way - not bad for two people who never met) all those different situations and I really really hope Peter Dinklage will put his signature under a script that will make fun of dwarves and dwarfism. I fear a bit for that, because he has very strong principles and all the dwarf jousting and humiliation to come will not sit well with him.

Greetings,

Steph

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

The disappointment with Tyrion's story is that it is too damn slow!

I need to think again about this meereenese knot thingy, but seriously, what is that much of a problem for GRRM that he had to drag Tyrion's and Daenerys' story for the whole book to achieve so little?

Tyrion is a cool guy, he is a wisecrack, but also a survivalist and a great schemer, but his chapters don't do him justice in a way. Same as Daenerys. I like them both, but we need them back in Westeros pronto. GRRM has said that TWOW will open with 2 big battles, one of which will be Meereen, and I hope that once it's done, everyone gets on board Vi's ships and go straight back west.

Anyway GRRM doesn't care what I hope, but I will hope for that anyway.

Incidentally, any of you can guess how much a golden dragon would be worth in today's money? Looks like the armed companies have a structure not unlike our big corporations, where the top boss earns about 1,000 times what the lowly employees get paid!

To the person above

No chance that once the battle for Meereen is done that Tyrion, Victarion, Barristan and Dany will hop on boat Iron Victory and head to Westeros. Dany still needs to pass beneath the shadow in Asshai and then she can continue on. Tyrion and Victarion can never become allies, they have two different goals and couldn't share Dany.

To the person above

No chance that once the battle for Meereen is done that Tyrion, Victarion, Barristan and Dany will hop on boat Iron Victory and head to Westeros. Dany still needs to pass beneath the shadow in Asshai and then she can continue on. Tyrion and Victarion can never become allies, they have two different goals and couldn't share Dany.

Or does she... there are many interpretations as to what "pass beneath the shadow" can mean.

Could be the shadow of one of the dragons - not necessarily Asshai

(although I'd love for someone to go to Asshai to see what it's like there. But that's the problem: I want too many things, and also for everything to be fast. It's impossible, can't be done. We'll just have to let GRRM do what he wants.)

Or does she... there are many interpretations as to what "pass beneath the shadow" can mean.

Could be the shadow of one of the dragons - not necessarily Asshai

(although I'd love for someone to go to Asshai to see what it's like there. But that's the problem: I want too many things, and also for everything to be fast. It's impossible, can't be done. We'll just have to let GRRM do what he wants.)

Its called Asshia by the Shadow, and I reference this site to prove she has to travel there

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Asshai

Yes but there are other interpretations. Quaithe does not tell her that she has to go to Asshai, she tells her she has to pass beneath the shadow. This can mean other things than going to Asshai. I'd say it's not a done deal she actually has to physically go to Asshai.

I'd love her to go to Asshai as I want to discover Asshai but I still have doubts whether she will go there.

Ok I very highly doubt grrm would have written that how he did to not foreshadows danys eventually trip to Asshai. It may refer to her dying and being reborn again like she did on the Dothraki sea but I don't believe that myself. Asshai is the next step for her once she and drogon can escape the dothraki sea and return to Meereen.

Archived