[ADWD SPOILERS] Daenerys 10

Xray the Enforcer

Awful. That whole story arc was boring as hell. Picking tokahs, having baths, worried about her 'children' and ignoring all advice...

...far too many strange-named people to care about...most of them with k's in their name...

...finally rides a dragon and the next chapter is terrible...and possibly back to square 1 with another khal....ugh

Yep.

She should have a brain scan. It's possibly a tumor (they sometimes can affect behaviour).

For ten chapters, the selfsame girl that has pillaged 3 cities, walked into a bonfire, survived several assasination attempts is doing...nothing.

We are paying for the abundance of POV characters- if GRRM wants to keep the level of believability in the general plot (and I think he does), in some places sometimes there just has to be...well...boredom, because some characters have to arrive on scene to get the action going, or they have to travel from point A to point B (thus Arya chapters in ACOC and ASOS and most of Tyrion chapters in ADWD.)

Although the book's not nearly as good as the first three (but better than AFFC) it's still VASTLY superior to any of the contemporary fantasy book methinks.

Well a little vindication at least.

That yes, she's a total moron, yes she mistreated the dragons, yes she should have listened to Jorah.

It might have been tedious as all hell to get there, and with that ending, it might not be over yet, but at least she got told.

Awful. That whole story arc was boring as hell. Picking tokahs, having baths, worried about her 'children' and ignoring all advice...

...far too many strange-named people to care about...most of them with k's in their name...

...finally rides a dragon and the next chapter is terrible...and possibly back to square 1 with another khal....ugh

This pretty much sums up how I feel, too. So many of those chapters could have been edited down. Even with all the time devoted to it in the story I still don't care about Mereen, its people and troubles. And yet, doesn't Dany have to go further East, according to Quaithe? I may stab my eyes out.

I couldn't agree more...hopefully this Aegon thing plays out and we don't have to hear about Dany anymore she is so boring.

I agree, I'm sad to say all of Dany's chapters have been hard to digest and wearisome. In her last chapter I almost laughed out loud when Daario begged her to hold court and she made a mental comment that it had been such a long time since she had...too me her holding court and being sullen, fickle and immature is all she has appeared to do throughout this book. Other characters stories are growing and developing whilst her particular plot and character is going absolutely nowhere! Its a shame, I was interested in her once :angry2: :angry2:

She'll step on Westerosi soil in the last chapter of A Dream of Spring. It is known. Though nobody will care any longer, we all hate her after Meereen :laugh:

This story arc would be so much better if she had met Tyrion and he'd teach her about dragons. While slowly travelling back west. One would think that she learnt something doing what she did through all these books, but nooooo. She's even worse than she was when she married Khal Drogo.

Dany is not the blood of the dragon any more, even her delusion say so. Or at least I hope so.

Or is she simply going mad?

On a side note, did she have a miscarriage?

It could be the pale mare, or I like the miscarriage idea as it could be linked to her womb quickening as Mirri Maz Durr prophesied...

"When the sun rises in the west and sets in the east," said Mirri Maz Duur. "When the seas go dry and mountains blow in the wind like leaves. When your womb quickens again, and you bear a living child. Then he will return, and not before."

It could also just be her becoming fertile again. I think she mentioned that it had been a long time since she had her period.

It could be the pale mare, or I like the miscarriage idea as it could be linked to her womb quickening as Mirri Maz Durr prophesied...

"When the sun rises in the west and sets in the east," said Mirri Maz Duur. "When the seas go dry and mountains blow in the wind like leaves. When your womb quickens again, and you bear a living child. Then he will return, and not before."

It could also just be her becoming fertile again. I think she mentioned that it had been a long time since she had her period.

"When the sun rises in the west and sets in the east," -- This part could be fulfilled with Quentyn's death.

Quentyn is the Sun's sun, and can be considered as the Sun.

Sun rises in the west (Quentyn born from the west)

Sun sets in the east (Quentyn dies in the east)

"When the seas go dry" -- The grass is dry in that Dothraki (sp) sea. Acceptable?

"and mountains blow in the wind like leaves." -- Drogon's dragonstone lair where he torches the area and ashes flies in the wind. Acceptable?

I am also thinking if there are any active volcano that might erupt soon, Volantis perhaps?

"When your womb quickens again" -- Her moon's blood, irregular or spontaneous miscarriage. But that could mean she's fertile again.

"and you bear a living child." -- A new Khal found her there.

"Then he will return, and not before." -- so her son will be Khal Drogo Reborn?

Too much "Reborn" ______.

Could it be Azor Asshat Reborn = Dany + Khal Jhogo = Khal Drogo Reborn?

"When the sun rises in the west and sets in the east," -- This part could be fulfilled with Quentyn's death.

"When the seas go dry" -- The grass is dry in that Dothraki (sp) sea. Acceptable?

"and mountains blow in the wind like leaves." -- Drogon's dragonstone lair where he torches the area and ashes flies in the wind. Acceptable?

I am also thinking if there are any active volcano that might erupt soon, Volantis perhaps?

"When your womb quickens again" -- Her moon's blood, irregular or spontaneous miscarriage. But that could mean she's fertile again.

"and you bear a living child." -- A new Khal found her there.

"Then he will return, and not before." -- so her son will be Khal Drogo Reborn?

Too much "Reborn" ______.

Could it be Azor Asshat Reborn = Dany + Khal Jhogo = Khal Drogo Reborn?

There's no way Dany's gonna get with Khal Jhogo. It's much more likely that she's going to kill him and take his place. Every Dothraki in the sea will bow down before her and her giant, flying, fire-breathing horse. To go forward she must go back. What it means is that she must return to her original plan: Build an army of Dothraki and invade Westeros with them. I still can't believe how much idiocy we had to sit through for Dany to make this realisation, though. It was pretty painful to read. I skimmed most of this last chapter because I was so frustrated. This realisation could have been done achieved without her leaving Drogon on the top of the mountain, where there was food, water and a convenient dragon she could use to come and go as she pleased.

GRRM fucked up Dany's character in this book. She's always been batshit crazy, but was ultimately likeable. Dany in this book was not even likeable. Hopefully she's come to her senses and will proceed to kick ass across Westeros in Book 6.

Definitely possible.

When she finally deigns to hold court, doesn't Stinky Steward Reznak comment on how she's "aglow" or something like that? And she can't remember when her last period was when she tries to think about it. The abdominal cramping if she was miscarrying would be strong enough to also cause diarrhea.

It seems to me Dany needed to be tried in a wilderness walkabout to get the perspective she needs in order to really be a queen, and aware of it or not, she's learning dragon lore on her own the hard way with Drogon. When she calls to him, he actually answers and comes to her. so at least there's some positive forward motion for her character and we're closer to some actual dragonriding here. It's just been an incredibly frustrating long time waiting for her to wake up. :ack:

At least Daario Douchemaster is a splat on the walls of Meereen and won't be irritating us any more.

At least Daario Douchemaster is a splat on the walls of Meereen and won't be irritating us any more.

There were only three hostages left for the Yunkai, but all six trebuchets were firing. They weren't throwing people, but "corpses." I assumed they were launching the bodies of those killed by the bloody flux.

I could see that all fulfilling the prophecy.

Out of Quentyn, Tyrion/Jorah/Griff, and Victarian trying to get to her...she only meets one, and he dies. A let down. Just feels like everyone traveled so far, and we have come so far with Dany, and yet we haven't gotten anywhere with her.

I hope she gets her name Dothraki khalasar, returns to meereen to get her crew and other dragons and says FU to slavers bay and heads for westeros.

Cause we all sooooooooooo done with Essos!

I could see that all fulfilling the prophecy.

Out of Quentyn, Tyrion/Jorah/Griff, and Victarian trying to get to her...she only meets one, and he dies. A let down. Just feels like everyone traveled so far, and we have come so far with Dany, and yet we haven't gotten anywhere with her.

I hope she gets her name Dothraki khalasar, returns to meereen to get her crew and other dragons and says FU to slavers bay and heads for westeros.

Cause we all sooooooooooo done with Essos!

It's a nice setup.

Dany gets a new Khal and Army.

Her Hand handles the Mereen council, and Tyrion gets into position to hook up the sellswords with Mereen.

Victarion's Fleet is around too. Interesting how Rhllor is involved with Victarion.

There were only three hostages left for the Yunkai, but all six trebuchets were firing. They weren't throwing people, but "corpses." I assumed they were launching the bodies of those killed by the bloody flux.

Wishful thinking on my part I guess. I do remember the three returned hostages. Can't one of trebuchet corpses be Darrio? GRRM's gotta give us a little wish fulfillment here!

I thought about teh bloody flux corpses, but I don't know what that would do - the flux is already in the city and I think the Yunkai would know that from the discussions they'd had alogn the way and the brief time they were allowed inside. So I'm hoping it's the hostages too...at least that would force action :)

Archived