[ADWD SPOILERS] Daenerys 10

Xray the Enforcer

Well, I liked this arc more than most of you. I'm glad Dany finally realized her choices were wrong and she should have gone to Westeros. I still don't want to see her set foot on Westeros. She's proven to be too incompetent a leader. She may have finally learned her actions in Meereen were wrong, but I do not trust her to be a good Queen in Westeros. I hope that she is killed off. It should have been Dany rather than Jon.

Ok, what a disgusting chapter. Unlike many here, I enjoyed Dany's chapters (though I have started to think she is a fool and a bit of a slut) for the atmosphere and the dragons. However, this chapter was utterly disgusting.

I mean, honestly, did GRRM really have to show Dany taking a shit? Out of all the POVs in the all the novels, he chose the girl he has been building up as a beautiful sex pot to take a stinking shit on screen? He even describes the stools in detail... :??:

Honestly, I will never look at Dany as a sexual figure again. I never actually did before, (I think Sansa is the most beautiful female in the books, followed by Melisandre) but now after what she did in this book it kind of ruined her sexiness for me. To make matters worse, she then has a messy period. Later, she eats using the same hands she had used to wipe both her ass and her cunt. WTF!??

Honestly, this is Tairy Goodkind territory here. Heck, even what he made Kahlan do (have Richard fuck her while in her period, and then give him a blowjob with her blood still on his cock) was less disgusting than what GRRM made Dany do in this chapter.

Anyhow, the above aside not much happens in this chapter. We learn that Dany and Drogon have bonded. We also learn that Valyrians trame their dragons using horns, something I don't think we knew before. However, where did Dany come upon this convinient knowledge all of a sudden?

I guess the Khalasar will start worshipping Dany or something due to her dragon, though to be honest if the Kahalsar puts its mind to it they could kill Drogon. Drogon is still not that strong, he couldn't even lift a horse off the ground.

However, it appears Dany is putting a lot of faith in Quaithes prophecy. After ignoring it for a long time, she finally deicdes to go East in order to go West. So I guess she will ride West for Dosh Khaleen with her new Khalasar. Remember the vision in earlier books where Dany sees the crones of Dosh Khaleen kneeling before her? I guess that will happen in TWoW. The enitre story arc of Dany TWoW will probably show her going to DEosh Khaleen, uniting the Khalassars under her, and then riding for Asshai. So we wont see Dany in Westeros until ADoS at the least.

Oh and TWoW will liekly have more whining for Daario. Honestly, I can't wait until Victarion learns of Dany's and Daarios relationship, so he can put an end to it (by chopping Darrios head off or something, or burning him aliive for Rhllor) and slap some sense into Dany.

Oh well. Lets just hope GRRM doesn't show her take any more shits on screen.

Wishful thinking on my part I guess. I do remember the three returned hostages. Can't one of trebuchet corpses be Darrio? GRRM's gotta give us a little wish fulfillment here!

LOL. That was my most gleeful moment of the book when I thought that Daario might be dead. "Yes!"

I agree that Dany's arc has been extremely slow but I've found it to be quite grounded and realistic. Yes, this chapter was a bit too heavy on the travelling and getting sick but that's what her creator is putting her through! My take on the illness was that she had picked up a bug due to poor nutrition and hygiene, and probably stress too (probably quite difficult to find toilet paper and soap out on the steps so I think that she can be forgiven for getting her hands a bit dirty and then eating with them, and really I'd avoided the Terry Goodkind books so didn't really need the graphic description above which I find way more offensive than this) and this triggered off an early miscarriage. Forgive me if I'm wrong but Dany hasn't had much hetero sex until recently has she? So now she has had some she could well have gotten pregnant - why do we assume MMD was telling the truth? I've always been suspicious of that prophecy from book one.

I'd have liked to see a bit more bonding with Drogon and brooding about life while being flown around rather than brooding en route then kicking khal whoever's ass with the dragon but at least she does now have a dragon.

Edit - don't know why this posted three times! Site crashed me out as I was posting so apologies all.

I agree that Dany's arc has been extremely slow but I've found it to be quite grounded and realistic. Yes, this chapter was a bit too heavy on the travelling and getting sick but that's what her creator is putting her through! My take on the illness was that she had picked up a bug due to poor nutrition and hygiene, and probably stress too (probably quite difficult to find toilet paper and soap out on the steps so I think that she can be forgiven for getting her hands a bit dirty and then eating with them, and really I'd avoided the Terry Goodkind books so didn't really need the graphic description above which I find way more offensive than this) and this triggered off an early miscarriage. Forgive me if I'm wrong but Dany hasn't had much hetero sex until recently has she? So now she has had some she could well have gotten pregnant - why do we assume MMD was telling the truth? I've always been suspicious of that prophecy from book one.

I'd have liked to see a bit more bonding with Drogon and brooding about life while being flown around rather than brooding en route then kicking khal whoever's ass with the dragon but at least she does now have a dragon.

I felt that the Dany arc did move verty slowly,hoever we are all forgetting something,Dany was thirteen when she was married to Drogo, so what would she be now fifteen, sixteen? She has made a lot of mistakes , but her heart has always been in the right place. She's a young girl, and has the desires of a young girl. She's trting to be a queen while also going through all of the uncertainties that a teenager faces. Lets give her a break. And I thnk that some of Jorahs advice was self serving and he wanted her all for himself.

i actually liked this chapter but her arc in the book is appalling.

she finally realized that she will never rule Meereen and her home is Westeros. But she is still too imature.... does she really thinks that after what happenned in the pit, meereen its in the same situation when she was there?? seriously??? :rolleyes:

how can she rule anything when she is thinking that a queen leaving the city riding a dragon wouldn't affect the politics?? <_< <_< <_<

------

and i definitly think that all the blood was a miscarriage, probably was the fruit she ate.... the profecy said that she can't have a living child... that doesn't necessarily mean that she can't be pregnant.

first i thought of the pale mare too but the fever, diarrhea and vomit could be from the bad water she drank.

Well, I liked this arc more than most of you. I'm glad Dany finally realized her choices were wrong and she should have gone to Westeros. I still don't want to see her set foot on Westeros. She's proven to be too incompetent a leader. She may have finally learned her actions in Meereen were wrong, but I do not trust her to be a good Queen in Westeros. I hope that she is killed off. It should have been Dany rather than Jon.

Couldn't agree more.

I enjoyed the chapter well enough. I like how things ended.

I don't, however, see Dany as a queen figure. I see her as a warrior figure, a leader of soldiers, etc. I think Aegon would make a better ruler and Dany in another role.

I think she'll make it to Westeros, but it will be north she goes eventually. Leave King's Landing to Aegon. Aegon can then take a wife, make a political deal and voila.

Dany, imho, is not meant to rule nor is she meant to survive this song. I do think she will do many heroic things before it's all said and done, though.

It didn't bother me that she had the shits and then had her period. I have to read about guys farting, getting cocks sucked, spreading womens' legs apart, spitting, shitting blood, getting "used like a woman," guys with huge dicks, guys with little dicks, guys who shit and vomit at the same time, guys who get skinned alive....

So, the fact that Dany getting the shits once and them talking about her womanly parts bleeding does nothing to diminish her character or sexuality. It was just another "so what?" kind of moment. She's sick. Okay, the author is describing it.

She's being humbled and pushed to her very limits.

.... this triggered off an early miscarriage. Forgive me if I'm wrong but Dany hasn't had much hetero sex until recently has she? So now she has had some she could well have gotten pregnant - why do we assume MMD was telling the truth? I've always been suspicious of that prophecy from book one.

I agree about the blood and her ability to conceive a child. First off, I wonder if she really was incapable of bearing children, would she have had her period at all? I mean, many women have it and are not fertile, but..... it seems a loud message to me.

For me, it speaks to her ability to have children. The mountain(s) have fallen and turned to dust (the skull) and other pieces have fallen into place as well.

Surprised at the negativity here actually- I thought this was one of the better Dany chapters! I'm equally ennoyed as this chapter could have stood alone without 4/5/6 of her other chapters, but this one was necessary- her becoming ill (I read it as the bloody flux, although the miscarriage angle fits and is nicely hidden by the flux possibility) was the catalyst for her becoming aware of all that she's done- neglecting her dragons, not heeding Jorah's advice etc. Now she realises her dragons are more important than her 'children', and all this understanding should (hopefully) help her realise she's "going back", which will let her "go forward" without too much time wasting come TWoW.

I'm hoping at least, that the Khalasar with be terrified of Drogon and fall in behind Dany, allowing her to save Meereen then everyone can merrily sail west with Victarion. All in the first 3 Dany chapters of TWoW. It's the only way I'm going to enjoy her chapters again.

Surprised at the negativity here actually- I thought this was one of the better Dany chapters! I'm equally ennoyed as this chapter could have stood alone without 4/5/6 of her other chapters, but this one was necessary- her becoming ill (I read it as the bloody flux, although the miscarriage angle fits and is nicely hidden by the flux possibility) was the catalyst for her becoming aware of all that she's done- neglecting her dragons, not heeding Jorah's advice etc. Now she realises her dragons are more important than her 'children', and all this understanding should (hopefully) help her realise she's "going back", which will let her "go forward" without too much time wasting come TWoW.

I'm hoping at least, that the Khalasar with be terrified of Drogon and fall in behind Dany, allowing her to save Meereen then everyone can merrily sail west with Victarion. All in the first 3 Dany chapters of TWoW. It's the only way I'm going to enjoy her chapters again.

You bring up an important point. She languished in Mereen far too long, imho, doing little but nibbling on treats and bathing in her pool and staring out over the city. I fear that we'll wait another full book to hear about all the Dothroki customs again and she'll never make it across the sea until the very end. Her chapters seem so erratic insofar as pacing sometimes. I remember feeling like she needed to get herself across to Westeros by book 3. But, in the end, only Martin knows her fate and we have to be content! Haha.

Forgot to add in my haste to read the epilogue earlier, Dany's opening her eyes to the truth appears to be accompanied by a definite move to her also also embracing the Targaryen crazy - full conversations with herself etc., although the voices in her head appear to be pushing her in the right direction as far as I'm concerned!

Though I feel it could improve for me on re-reads, Dany's story arc was definitely my least favorite of this book. I got totally sick of her indecisive inner monologue, not to mention the fact that she was always surrounded by a seemingly endless lineup of random people with unpronounceable names that would be worth a lot of points if you could legally make them in Scrabble.

However, I actually enjoyed this particular chapter, if only because it finally showed some action. I am also really glad at least one of the dragons is finally large/tame enough to ride.

I thought I remembered reading that one of the main reasons this book took so long to be published was the "Meereenese knot" - i.e. the logistical difficulties of having Dany encounter all the other characters she is supposed to encounter in the course of her story arc. But she didn't really get the major interaction with Tyrion or Victarion that I expected, and her interactions with Quentyn felt sort of hasty to me, so I'm not sure what happened there.

I like the chapter, and even her arc. She try desperately to be Dany the mother, seeking every solution (yep, that’s a lot of chapter. ;) ) for fulfilling that role, but she utterly fail.

The mother died in the Dothraki Sea (figuratively with the fever, the shit and the blood) and I think she was reborn has Dany the warrior, the conqueror, even Drogon seems please with that because he came to her pretty easily at the end.

I don't, however, see Dany as a queen figure. I see her as a warrior figure, a leader of soldiers, etc. I think Aegon would make a better ruler and Dany in another role.

I agree for the first part but I have the feeling she can’t survive the last book.

I liked this chapter. Almost as good as the last Dany chapter. I can:t believe how much people are whining about her story arc considering Jon and Tyrion:s.

Jon:s story arc consisted of him slowly alienating the entire nights watch and sending his friends away, and then dying. What.

Tyrion:s story arc consisted of him slowly wandering eastward but never actually getting anywhere.

At least Dany is a dragonrider now. I think that she is now set up to fly back to mereen and eat someone (well Drogon will) BUT WHY couldn:t GRRM have just had her do that?

Also whoever was like ewww i dont want to see dany have diarrhea shes supposed to be hot - wow can you be more sexist?  Everyone shits. Women are no different from men in this regard. If we have to hear about Tyrion pissing every chapter and then shaking it off we can hear Dany being sick the one time she is.

I was touched by her memories of Viserys and (especially) Jorah. I don:t see them as proof she is crazy at all. She is dehydrated, sick, and nearly dying of thirst. Its not surprising she would hallucinate a bit. Also, I have never been more certain that she will accept Jorah back which makes me very happy! And now he:s a ridiculous badass with his demon mark on his face and his back covered with a hundred scars from the whip. Fuckin a, man. I am sad they never met this book... Tyrions last chapter in particular - wat.

I have to say I do now agree with many people who were saying that Dany is a better conqueror than she is a peacetime ruler. She is Aegon the conqueror reborn. Her husbands will take the role that Aegons wives did - they will be the conciliators and the rulers while Dany looms over them all from Drogon:s back - she will be the enforcer.

Who will she rule with, though?  I dont think it will be Aegon. I still think Aegon is as good as dead, and his purpose is to instigate dany to return to Westeros. I guess it wont be Jon, now, either! :P Better not be Tyrion.

I do hope that she settles things in Mereen before she leaves. And by that, I mean that the Yunkish army is wiped out, and the great masters of Mereen are banished or killed to a man.

Ok, what a disgusting chapter. Unlike many here, I enjoyed Dany's chapters (though I have started to think she is a fool and a bit of a slut) for the atmosphere and the dragons. However, this chapter was utterly disgusting.

I mean, honestly, did GRRM really have to show Dany taking a shit? Out of all the POVs in the all the novels, he chose the girl he has been building up as a beautiful sex pot to take a stinking shit on screen? He even describes the stools in detail... :??:

Honestly, I will never look at Dany as a sexual figure again. I never actually did before, (I think Sansa is the most beautiful female in the books, followed by Melisandre) but now after what she did in this book it kind of ruined her sexiness for me. To make matters worse, she then has a messy period. Later, she eats using the same hands she had used to wipe both her ass and her cunt. WTF!??

Honestly, this is Tairy Goodkind territory here. Heck, even what he made Kahlan do (have Richard fuck her while in her period, and then give him a blowjob with her blood still on his cock) was less disgusting than what GRRM made Dany do in this chapter.

I'm assuming this is satire?

Archived