[ADWD SPOILERS] Daenerys 10

Xray the Enforcer

"When the sun rises in the west and sets in the east," -- This part could be fulfilled with Quentyn's death.

Quentyn is the Sun's sun, and can be considered as the Sun.

Sun rises in the west (Quentyn born from the west)

Sun sets in the east (Quentyn dies in the east)

"When the seas go dry" -- The grass is dry in that Dothraki (sp) sea. Acceptable?

"and mountains blow in the wind like leaves." -- Drogon's dragonstone lair where he torches the area and ashes flies in the wind. Acceptable?

I am also thinking if there are any active volcano that might erupt soon, Volantis perhaps?

"When your womb quickens again" -- Her moon's blood, irregular or spontaneous miscarriage. But that could mean she's fertile again.

"and you bear a living child." -- A new Khal found her there.

"Then he will return, and not before." -- so her son will be Khal Drogo Reborn?

Too much "Reborn" ______.

Could it be Azor Asshat Reborn = Dany + Khal Jhogo = Khal Drogo Reborn?

Beautiful, beautiful interpretation even if events don't play out this way in the series.

"Then he will return" - to me that line corresponds to this new khalasar. Khal Drogo embodies everything Dothraki to Dany: He is the father of Rhaego, husband to her, and khal to the Dothraki. Might this new khalasar spiritually represent Drogo's return?

~

As for the chapter --

You know an author's goofed up when the penultimate chapter featuring a major character only gets 4 pages of discussion, huh? :P

I actually enjoyed it. It showed us a real different side to Dany, and sets the stage for a redemption arc. I reckon there might be people out there who probably hate these sort of story arcs but I happen to really enjoy them. Especially since it is high time it happened for some other characters (Jaime -- I'm looking at you).

I think after the wearisome Daario story, people wanted something ostensibly dramatic and concrete to happen and this isn't what was delivered - especially after the previous Dany chapter involving Drogon.

I felt that her period/miscarriage scene was very vivid, and her ghosts confronting her was a nice touch. Sort of like

, but in a less saccharine way!

I agree that Dany hasn't shown promise as a ruler, but is that any surprise? She's unschooled in anything but Viserys' tales of noble Targaryens and the Dothraki ways of raping and pillaging. And while the Ghiscari have strange names, of course they all sound alike through her POV. She's the same one who said in the early part of this book that there's no difference between Lannisters and Starks, that they're all just Usurper's dogs. (i.e., Lannister and Stark all sound alike through her ears as well.) We get distracted from it because it reminds her of Hazzea, but it shows that things like politics are just as foreign to her as... let's say as foreign as a weirwood on Skagos would be?

Dany's chapters have been horribly dull this book, compared to how amazingly epic they were in 'A Storm of Swords', but the ending hints that she might be back to her good ol' ways in 'The Winds of Winter', and she might actually DO something. My guess is she takes over the Khalassar and heads all the way east, making a detour at Asshai, and then at the end of TWoW invades Westeros, resulting in some awesome battles for A Dream of Spring. Maybe Targaryen V Targaryen (Dany V Aegon)? Hopefully Varys gonna get his comeuppance, too. Eaten by a dragon, anybody? Or what about a Wight-Varys? :drool:

I feel like i missed something in adwd... when did Jhogo get his own Khalasar?... last i knew he was searching for Dany in the Dothraki Sea?

He was one of the two (?) to name himself Khal when Drogo went ill; he took about 20,000 men with him as his khalasar.

• 2 weeks later...

Meh, I've loved the book, I've even enjoyed Dany's chapters, but this chapter was very disappointing. The whereabouts of Dany was a big mystery for me, and there were tons of different possibilities. I was hoping it'd be something mind-blowing. I would ask myself, what's the most boring possibility for where she is right now? And the answer is: wandering aimlessly in the wilderness, and found by some random character that I don't care about.

And what happened? She wanders around in the wilderness, and is found by some random character I don't care about. Great ending.

I was hoping something completely awesome would happen instead of this. Like she flew all the way to the wall or something totally unexpected. But nah, the most boring, logical outcome turned out to be true.

Meh, I've loved the book, I've even enjoyed Dany's chapters, but this chapter was very disappointing. The whereabouts of Dany was a big mystery for me, and there were tons of different possibilities. I was hoping it'd be something mind-blowing. I would ask myself, what's the most boring possibility for where she is right now? And the answer is: wandering aimlessly in the wilderness, and found by some random character that I don't care about.

And what happened? She wanders around in the wilderness, and is found by some random character I don't care about. Great ending.

I was hoping something completely awesome would happen instead of this. Like she flew all the way to the wall or something totally unexpected. But nah, the most boring, logical outcome turned out to be true.

How is Khal Jhaqo who we know from the first book and Dany has sweared to take revenge against is random ?

• 3 weeks later...

Am I the only one glad that she was taken away by her dragon etc? I'm pretty sure that was the catalyst we needed for her to give up on Meereen and get her ass to Westeros. I'm predicting she gets to Meereen, its all too late and so she decides its best to move on.

And that's the end of that REALLY BORING CHAPTER HURRAH

Am I the only one glad that she was taken away by her dragon etc? I'm pretty sure that was the catalyst we needed for her to give up on Meereen and get her ass to Westeros. I'm predicting she gets to Meereen, its all too late and so she decides its best to move on.

And that's the end of that REALLY BORING CHAPTER HURRAH

No, if she will easily give up the slaves than her chapters in the book are useless and i will hate Martin forever for that .

• 2 weeks later...

I'm glad her story may start to move along.

I know that her time in Mereen was a learning time, she has to learn that sometimes you have to make a tough decision and that you can't save everyone. But it did take a long time, which wouldn't bee too bad if we had 3 more books but not two... it now seems like in order to "wrap up" the story the next two books will be really rushed. And all the little side stories that GRRM made a deal about for 2-3 chapters throughout the other books will just dissolve.

Archived