[ADWD SPOILERS] Daenerys 10

Xray the Enforcer

It looks like I'm the only one, but I thought this chapter was awesome. Yes, I agree that her overall plot-line was a little bit boring, but I just assumed Feast and Dance were created to get all the characters in the right positions for the series finale. Assuming that made the books less annoying and actually really enjoyable. Also, I need to say that I didn't have to wait five years for this book, so that means something aswell.

Going to read the epilogue tonight and then join the wait for The Winds of Winter.

• 1 month later...

"When the sun rises in the west and sets in the east," -- This part could be fulfilled with Quentyn's death.

Quentyn is the Sun's sun, and can be considered as the Sun.

Sun rises in the west (Quentyn born from the west)

Sun sets in the east (Quentyn dies in the east)

"When the seas go dry" -- The grass is dry in that Dothraki (sp) sea. Acceptable?

"and mountains blow in the wind like leaves." -- Drogon's dragonstone lair where he torches the area and ashes flies in the wind. Acceptable?

I am also thinking if there are any active volcano that might erupt soon, Volantis perhaps?

"When your womb quickens again" -- Her moon's blood, irregular or spontaneous miscarriage. But that could mean she's fertile again.

"and you bear a living child." -- A new Khal found her there.

"Then he will return, and not before." -- so her son will be Khal Drogo Reborn?

Too much "Reborn" ______.

Could it be Azor Asshat Reborn = Dany + Khal Jhogo = Khal Drogo Reborn?

I agree with the first half of it, however wit the last two I think this makes much more sense:

"and you bear a living child." -- Drogon. (Her dragons are her children)

"Then he will return, and not before." -- Maybe with "he", the Maegi never ment Khal Drogo but simply the legitimate Khal?

Hence Daenerys asked this question to Mirri: "When will he be as he was?" Dany herself said he (no mention of Drogo), so the Maegi might have interpreted the question as "when will the khal be of strength again?" and then further changed it to "when will I have a strong Khal next to myself again?". If Dany's question is interpreted that way, the "prophecy" makes 100% sense.

And since the Khal (Jhaqo) "returns" at the end of this chapter, I see the prophecy completed. In the end the prophecy wasn't about Khal Drogo (he is dead, I doubt anyone will be reborn) or her being infertile. All the maegi said with this riddle/prophecy was when the Khalasar under the Khal would return/join Dany again: The khal will be as he was - on Dany's side.

So I guess what happens next is that Dany rides to Slaver's Bay with this Khalasar and we will finally have the battle for Meereen.

• 4 weeks later...

It was one big setup for The Winds of Winter. I am expecting BIG things in the next book.

When I read a book that is 1000 pages -- i expect big things. I expected big things in this book and...

Dance with Dragons? Nope.

Sooner or later we all grow up and are forced to admit our heroes are not invincible.

• 4 weeks later...

Isnt our own Chapters in Life sometimes hellishly boring and yet we cannot do anything about it ?

We have to let those chapters finish while trying to do what we can do .

Also, the way Martin writes:

A Long Epic with very few Notes for Guidance to self..... and everything in head.... Also, writing through eyes of Characters

makes this writing like as it is ..... Slow like Life and Bottling Up for Big Event.. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I thought A Dance with Dragons was pretty amazing, compared to A Feast for Crows (seriously, I can't give two shits about the Greyjoys and I'm only just starting to to care about the Martells). We're close to the end, and Martin has cleverly set up the table... Now all that's left is to move the pieces.

I don't get how she could have contracted the pale mare. She's a Targaryen and she's mentioned that she's never fallen sick. How could she suddenly be facing the symptoms after so long? What I really thought at first was that the berries were indeed poisonous, and added up with the fact that she has been eating erratically and consuming raw food, it could have resulted in a stomach upset. But its Martin, and nothing is ever that simple... So it could be a sign that she is getting her period back.

I thought this chapter was cathartic for Daenerys. She needed to find herself again because she was so lost. She looked to the slaves as her children when it was her dragons who needed her most. Quarthe's words finally struck a chord within her and she found the meaning. I think the blood was a miscarriage but more symbolic of a cleansing of her body and soul.

I'm more worrried about Viserion and Rhegal (sp) because they truly need her as Drogon does. And then I just wouldn't be surprised when she returns to Meereen with a vengence.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

"When the sun rises in the west and sets in the east," -- This part could be fulfilled with Quentyn's death.

Quentyn is the Sun's sun, and can be considered as the Sun.

Sun rises in the west (Quentyn born from the west)

Sun sets in the east (Quentyn dies in the east)

"When the seas go dry" -- The grass is dry in that Dothraki (sp) sea. Acceptable?

"and mountains blow in the wind like leaves." -- Drogon's dragonstone lair where he torches the area and ashes flies in the wind. Acceptable?

I am also thinking if there are any active volcano that might erupt soon, Volantis perhaps?

"When your womb quickens again" -- Her moon's blood, irregular or spontaneous miscarriage. But that could mean she's fertile again.

"and you bear a living child." -- A new Khal found her there.

"Then he will return, and not before." -- so her son will be Khal Drogo Reborn?

Too much "Reborn" ______.

Could it be Azor Asshat Reborn = Dany + Khal Jhogo = Khal Drogo Reborn?

I thought that "Mountains blow in the wind like leaves" was the pyramid that was set afire and collapsed in Meereen after Quentyn let the dragons loose. But either way, it seems like these things are coming true

Well, I liked this arc more than most of you. I'm glad Dany finally realized her choices were wrong and she should have gone to Westeros. I still don't want to see her set foot on Westeros. She's proven to be too incompetent a leader. She may have finally learned her actions in Meereen were wrong, but I do not trust her to be a good Queen in Westeros. I hope that she is killed off. It should have been Dany rather than Jon.

Totally agree!!!

OMG this chapter was a pain to read... I really liked Dany from the previous books but as I was reading this chapter I wished she'd be gone for good

Dany has been pure annoyance for this whole book but maybe, just maybe things will change next time around. The biggest problem with her is that from her POV you see her thinking about all the advice she's given and prophecies and what she wants for herself and for the people and its clear to the reader what she should do, then she goes and does the exact opposite thing.

"Hmm what was that thing 'To go west you must go east'. Well I want to go west so I think I'll... keep walking west and shit myself to death." AHHH it's so frustrating. And if you ever meet someone who says "If i look back I'm lost", slap that person as hard as you can and say "No! If you look back, you'll see all your stupid mistakes, hopefully learn from them and stop making such terrible decisions!"

I had agreed with some people on here that maybe Drogon coming back to her was the fulfillment of MMD's prophecy and that Drogon was the embodiment of Drogo returning to her (she no longer needed the whip to steer him and he went where she wanted him to). But I checked exactly what "quickening" means and it is not just about her becoming fertile again, quickening is the moment when a mother first starts to feel the embryo moving inside her, so that definitely has not happened yet.

When you first read the part when she wakes up and sees the blood you're supposed to think she has the flux, but she says it's her moon blood and I think we should assume Dany knows where the blood is coming out of.

But at least we have something to be hopeful for with her in the next book.

• 3 weeks later...

Such an awesome chapter!!! It was hard for Dany to be confronted by how many mistakes she made but i think this chapter has really put her back on the right track. I am surprised how vitriolic some on the board are about Dany's chapters in Meereen because it is pretty obvious to me that her time there is a detour from becoming a conqueror, and a way for her to learn to rule as a Queen.

This chapter was the only one I have read where I thought Dany might die. The grass speaking to her really set her straight about all the mistakes she has made. Now she is ready to confront the doubts she has and do what she is meant to do, not what she wants to do. She cannot have a peaceful life. Best of all she learned to ride her dragon!!! For me this was a very satisfying ending chapter and I have great hopes for the next book.

• 3 months later...

I liked this last chapter. It's like Dany has been asleep through this whole book and making one bad decision after another and finally she is waking up and going to get back to being the Dany she is and should be. I also was happy to see her meeting up with the Dothraki b/c I feel that has been lacking for her and that she should have them at her back when she returns to Westeros. It is as much a part of who she is as being a Targ.

I'm pretty sure her getting sick was because of eating those berries. That seemed pretty obvious.

I'm not so sure about the blood whether it was just a regular menstrual cycle or a miscarriage.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm pretty sure her getting sick was because of eating those berries. That seemed pretty obvious.

I'm not so sure about the blood whether it was just a regular menstrual cycle or a miscarriage.

In the chapter, she herself thought it was the water, but she was too thirsty to not drink. The berries certainly didnt help, that's when she vomited bile.

As for everyone posting their disgust at dany's bodily functions/sickness, i think it's pretty chauvinistic. Its okay for a handmaid to get her off (these are young girls by the way), but not for her to use a chamber pot? It's called realism, and it served a very effective device for her to come to the realizations she needed to get her back on the path to being mother of dragons and returning to westeros.

Not to mention, her moon blood is heavier and it apparently had been erratic. Possible renewed fertility. Probably not a miscarriage... too much else going on and no hints she was pregnant, what would be the point?

Side note: dragon horn! Now we know why dany lost control of her dragons, other than she stopped trying to train them. Dragons cant be tamed by natural means, i think.

I also think drogon came back for her as a sullen child missing his mother. She neglected and abandoned the dragons. For that he left her, then came back but wouldnt follow her commands. But when she needed him he came for her. I find interesting that most dragon attacks on humans have been in self defense.

• 1 month later...

I agree with most in here, her arc was terrible. "oh what do I do, what do I do? No violence, please, I love my children, Im blood of dragons, but put them in the hole and let me forget them while I prance about these filthy, barabric lands and pretend a little" I think the fruit she ate were the berries of 'wake the hell up', the last chapter in the entire book was the first time she made any sense at all . How much more death and blood does she have to see before she toughens up? Im sure this is going somewhere but she's no stranger to murder and violence, yet she acts like Sansa...almost airheaded in her approach with these people. She's in a strange land where no one wants her, at every turn she's met with resistance or treachery. Every single thing she imagined Jorah whispering to her was 10000% right.

• 1 month later...

Just finished the book on weekend. I have to say I was quite dissappointed about the end, feels like I've been wasting my time reading 1000 pages and got nothing in the end.

Dany's bleeding, I think that was definetly miscarriage. She eat those poisonous berries that could have caused it. She hadn't had sex since Drogo, so how would she know that she would really be unfertale. I don't understand why she (and apparently almost here) believes what MMD said to her about not ever goiing to have a living child. She wouldn't know it until now, that she could have a child and I thought that as if to say "don't believe in all prophesies, thety don't come true". Dany should slap herself and wake up, she doesn't need to listen about MMD's or that other lady's prophesies (you have to go east to go west, come on!), just do what she has to do and make her own prophesies.

And the ending in this chapter, if she is going to spend the whole WoW wandering around the dothraki sea with this new khalasar, I'm not going to be reading it. I think I'm gonna see the pov list and if it appears that Jon is really dead, then I'm done with this. Arya is lost, Bran is lost even more, Jon dead and Dany still not going to Westeros, so there is absolutely nothing of interest to me in the next book.

And I have to add this, when I started reading these books (quite late, only last summer) I really thought that there is going to be only one book to come. And now I have found out from here there's going to be two books. So 2000 pages of Dany wondering around, Bran sitting in a tree bench, Arya wandering around or hiding in the temple. Oh my!

Archived