[ADWD SPOILERS] Daenerys 10

Xray the Enforcer

It occurred to me after reading this chapter that Dany's aDwD arc could be seen as a metaphor for GRRM's struggle with the last two volumes of this series. Dany hatched the dragons and then doesn't seem to know what to do with them, there's lots of aimless wandering and poor decisions that paint the story into a corner, going backward to go forward, etc.

I don't know...I think I've lost faith after finishing this book. I'm committed to finishing the series, but I wonder if these 2 volumes will even be seen as essential in the grand scheme of things. I could see doing a reread and completely skipping over FfC and DwD. In effect, doing my my own 5-year jump, except it's not even close to 5 years. Here's hoping that we don't have another 4 story-years of wandering around.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Nothing is known. GRM does have Dany pretty invested in the East. Can she leave the people she has freed if there is a chance they will be re-enslaved? She certainly can't take the all to Westeros. Or can she?

We get a hint that there are some crops grown in the East. It seems that the slave trade brings in most of the money. Does the East simply die as a story line when a Targ raises the standard?

I really cannot envision Dany letting another Targ take Westeros over -- she views it as home. Or is the house with the Red Door going to be enough? Cannot see that really happening.

Her ending chapter in Dance was okay with me. She has neglected working with her dragons, and needs to rebond with this most unruly one. And being rescued by Dothraki is good. Perhaps it will get her going.

GRM really had to keep her in the East for as long as possible. I wish it had not been so boring

Archived