[ADWD SPOILERS] Epilogue

Xray the Enforcer

WTF!

And yeah, Winter has come.

So, the spider has been planning all of this from the start. I'll reread AGoT to see if he was the one responsible for Ned's beheading too.

My guess is that he wanted to keep the peace back then (as he said when talking to Ilyrio) because he needed the seven kingdoms to break out in war when the Targaryens were ready to invade. Now however, when Aegon has landed and they have started their campaign ..

I do admit that Pycelle lasted alot longer in the series.

Varys. So this confirms that he wants a Targaryen back on the throne. Was Viserys and Dany a feint so Aegon can grow up undetected? I don't think anybody expected that Dany would hatch 3 dragons. Or was Aegon always option b?

I do admit that Pycelle lasted alot longer in the series.

Varys. So this confirms that he wants a Targaryen back on the throne. Was Viserys and Dany a feint so Aegon can grow up undetected? I don't think anybody expected that Dany would hatch 3 dragons. Or was Aegon always option b?

Option A seems likeliest. He is the heir to the throne, I believe, and was groomed for command with septas, maesters and a hand. Dany and Viserys never had either of those, even though they should have.

Am I the only person who wonders whether Varys really is a eunuch? He makes himself out to be all about the realm, and tells Ned about being cut, and how he hates magic (but wants Daenerys with her dragons back?)... but then in this epilogue it has his voice deepening. And he can imitate a deep voice when he's pretending to be a soldier, as well as having stubble--not a beard, but stubble, which seems like it would be tough to do with medieval makeup.

I just wonder if in all of his ability to act, to put on disguises, etc., if Varys the eunuch isn't simply one more disguise.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Dany and Viserys were only ever intended to be a smokescreen. Being such, they (Varys and Illyrio) could afford to take a risk with them, selling Dany to the Dothraki and giving Dany the eggs. In a best case scenario she's the aunty with dragons and he's the uncle with an army of horse men and Dorne, ready to cross the seas and help their nephew, the rightful heir. In a worst case scenario, at least they offer cover. With two (or even one) undisputed Targaryens knocking about, who will look for a third, hidden one?

Interestingly, with a crossbow in the gut for Kevin, are we now left with a Crouching Lion, Hidden Dragon?

I'm surprised nobody has brought up what is, IMHO, an even bigger shocker, there's yet another hidden Targaryan, and this one's in the Red Keep itself: Balerion the Black Kitten/the old black tomcat is now out to get Tommen! One of these days, Ser Pounce won't be around to protect him, and yet another hidden member of the Targaryan dynasty will be free to seek his revenge.

Why else would GRRM go to the trouble of listing Ser Pounce, Lady Whiskers and Boots as members of Tommen's Court, if not for the coming day of reckoning?

Well the book mostly sucked, but the last few pages brought a smile to my face. A bit sad to see Pycelle go out like that, but Varys has always been the most intriguing player.

And I still don't think this assures that Aegon is legit. Why trust another mad Targaryen when you can raise an unknown child up and shape him to be the perfect ruler. I'd say chances are just as good that Young Griff is a total nobody.

I'm surprised nobody has brought up what is, IMHO, an even bigger shocker, there's yet another hidden Targaryan, and this one's in the Red Keep itself: Balerion the Black Kitten/the old black tomcat is now out to get Tommen! One of these days, Ser Pounce won't be around to protect him, and yet another hidden member of the Targaryan dynasty will be free to seek his revenge.

Why else would GRRM go to the trouble of listing Ser Pounce, Lady Whiskers and Boots as members of Tommen's Court, if not for the coming day of reckoning?

I thought that was Arya spying on the little king.

I to thought it might be Arya looking through the old tom, since he is clearly the old tom with the torn ear she spent so much time hunting.

The old black tom with the torn ear is likely Rhaenys' kitten Balerion all grown up, having escaped cat-murder at the hands of the Mountain.

The white faced children with dark eyes I don't quite get

They're Varys' "little birds." They're pale because they spend most of their time in secret passages collecting secrets for Varys. I guess the dark eyes were to give us nightmares at the final image.

Awesome!

My guess is that he wanted to keep the peace back then (as he said when talking to Ilyrio) because he needed the seven kingdoms to break out in war when the Targaryens were ready to invade. Now however, when Aegon has landed and they have started their campaign ..

I'm thinking the exact same thing here

Archived