{ADWD Spoilers} The Freys

Alexia

The Boltons aren't too far behind the Freys and catching up quickly.

Wylla Manderly (as well as Lyanna Mormont that reply to Stannis was awesome and Alys Karstark) are awesome.

The thing is, the Freys are uniformly annoying while Roose Bolton is a very funny guy in a Hannibal Lecter kind of way. I found the conversation Bolton had with Theon after taking him away from Ramsay darkly hilarious - his commentary on Ramsay's swordsmanship, his description of his ride home after encountering Ramsay's mother, his reflections on the day Ramsay's mother first brought him to the Dreadfort.

That'd be an interesting casting choice, BTW - Anthony Hopkins as Roose Bolton.

It should probably be noted that not all Freys carry the backstabbing gene. I seem to remember that Ser Perwyn was a good Frey.

The Boltons, on the other hand, have yet to convince me that they are humans.

I hope Theon ends up with BoB as his pet and gets to kill him slowly over a few decades

I would be happy if the majority of the Freys were killed and were extinguished in the male line (Really, what evil have the women done?) except that Olyvar lives and becomes Lord of the Crossing and is an ally to the Starks to the day of his death.

Because he is a little boy and was genuinely into squiring for Robb.

I'm also an advocate that we should get a Walder Frey prologue for TWOW. He sits there and broods about how he's old and his children are failures and how he's losing all the ones he likes to his enemies, and how he realizes the Red Wedding was a mistake. Then he has somebody like Lame Lothar help carry him to the bathroom or something, and he finds a dead Edwyin (I think? The current heir, I mean) in there. They go all WTF then Black Walder comes out of nowhere and kills them both.

BAM. A prologue to remember.

The younger Freys like Perwyn, Olyvar and Elmar seem generally inoffensive, which is why they were sent away during the Red Wedding. However the chief architects - Walder, Edwyn, Lothar, Black Walder, Bastard Walder are still around, so they all need to be killed ASAP. Preferably in some deeply embarrassing and horrible way.

I would be happy if the majority of the Freys were killed and were extinguished in the male line (Really, what evil have the women done?) except that Olyvar lives and becomes Lord of the Crossing and is an ally to the Starks to the day of his death.

Because he is a little boy and was genuinely into squiring for Robb.

I'm also an advocate that we should get a Walder Frey prologue for TWOW. He sits there and broods about how he's old and his children are failures and how he's losing all the ones he likes to his enemies, and how he realizes the Red Wedding was a mistake. Then he has somebody like Lame Lothar help carry him to the bathroom or something, and he finds a dead Edwyin (I think? The current heir, I mean) in there. They go all WTF then Black Walder comes out of nowhere and kills them both.

BAM. A prologue to remember.

Ser Perwyn, brother to Roslin and Olyvar, is a "good" Frey as I remember, which is why they kept him away from the Red Wedding.

I personally would love a prologue where we find Perwyn avenging Robb and murdering several of his more dastardly kin. He has just figured out a master plan, and rolls into the Riverlands looking for Lord Beric and the BwB. He delivers Lady Stoneheart some Frey heads, reveals his plan, ready to rock and roll. Then Lady Stonrheart nods her head and to his utter shock they hang him as well. Would be so so so so GRRM.

I hope Theon ends up with BoB as his pet and gets to kill him slowly over a few decades

Even if Theon ever were in a position to do so, I doubt he'd be able to - Theon was never a forceful personality and Ramsay's brutalization of him seems to have stripped away any will he had. Theon had several opportunities to kill Ramsay, to run away, even to kill himself. He couldn't do anything until other strong personalities - the wildling women - slowly took charge of him and that was only when Ramsay was busy with Winterfell and his father. No matter what the situation, I don't think Theon will ever be capable of any interaction with Ramsay that doesn't involve cringing and abject terror on Theon's part.

I personally would love a prologue where we find Perwyn avenging Robb and murdering several of his more dastardly kin. He has just figured out a master plan, and rolls into the Riverlands looking for Lord Beric and the BwB. He delivers Lady Stoneheart some Frey heads, reveals his plan, ready to rock and roll. Then Lady Stonrheart nods her head and to his utter shock they hang him as well. Would be so so so so GRRM.

:devil: This is an evil idea! But you're right, this has the potential of a GRRM maneuver. I wouldn't want Perwyn to be blacklisted as a kinslayer, though. Then again we're talking about the Freys here! But why settle for a prologue when we could have a few Perwyn chapters? It should be more worthwhile than the Quentyn ones.

Domeric seemed like a relatively decent kid, from how Roose talked about him.

The operative word in your statement above is "relatively"; especially when you consider the source of the information. But hey, I'd give the kid a chance to prove himself a human.

Haha. I'm going to promote Wylla as Rickon's future wife until my face is blue.

I'll be doing that alongside you. I've been saying for a while that I thought Rickon Stark would marry one of Manderly's daughter and now I think I've identified the one.

Also, best line ever. "Still, it may have been a blessing. He would have grown up to be a Frey."

HAR! Thanks for reminding me I'm sending you a big, wet, Manderley (virtual) kiss for that!

I am now just a little concerned that the fantastic website "Inn at the Crossroads"

http://innatthecrossroads.com/

will, in due course, produce a pork pie recipe.

'Pork pie' a la Manderley

1 First catch your Frey...

How many Freys have died since the Red Wedding anyway?

Yeah, I feel the need to have a wall chart of their family tree so I can cross them off one by one as they go.

I actually hate Boltons more than the Freys, because they're insane. Freys are a real bother, but their numbers are growing smaller and their only strength to begin with was how many of them there were.

What I like about the Boltons is how they open up and help twist apart the old heroic northerners trope. We start off with Ned and the Starks as your typical Northern Goodies, then we get the Boltons and now in ADWD we get human sacrifice in the Weirwood groves too. The North remembers, but it's stark as well as Stark. A hard place that makes hard people.

Domeric seemed like a relatively decent kid, from how Roose talked about him.

Hmm a decent kid by Bolton standards is the kind of child I'd prefer not to meet.

I am now just a little concerned that the fantastic website "Inn at the Crossroads"

http://innatthecrossroads.com/

will, in due course, produce a pork pie recipe.

Oh deary deary me. Just read the contents of the goodie basket they did for the Burlington July 13th book signing.

:lol: I have been working on this exact thing. And a new apron with "Do you want a side of Frey with that?"

The thing is, the Freys are uniformly annoying while Roose Bolton is a very funny guy in a Hannibal Lecter kind of way. I found the conversation Bolton had with Theon after taking him away from Ramsay darkly hilarious - his commentary on Ramsay's swordsmanship, his description of his ride home after encountering Ramsay's mother, his reflections on the day Ramsay's mother first brought him to the Dreadfort.

That'd be an interesting casting choice, BTW - Anthony Hopkins as Roose Bolton.

I will always picture Roose Bolton as Michael Bolton.

Was it the good Frey or the Ramsay-Bolton-protege-Frey that was killed?

Death by 'Freying' really needs to be introduced into the vernacular.

I'm pretty sure that Hosteen and Aenys aren't getting back to Winterfell alive after going out into the snow with the Manderlys. Also if the Boltons lose at Winterfell then Fat Walda is not getting out alive.

If the Boltons lose at Winterfell, then Fat Walda may live long enough to bear that boy lord that's the bane of any house. But she, if pregnant, would have value as a hostage.

Though if a Stark or Stark loyalist ends up on top in the North, they might go all Twyin on the Boltons.

If the Boltons lose at Winterfell, then Fat Walda may live long enough to bear that boy lord that's the bane of any house. But she, if pregnant, would have value as a hostage.Though if a Stark or Stark loyalist ends up on top in the North, they might go all Twyin on the Boltons.

They'll have to. The Boltons were Wardens of the North for a while, they betrayed and razed the Stark keep and hometown, they killed Robb Stark. You can't let them live after that. They'll just keep causing more trouble.

yeah, the boltons are worse than the freys in my eyes, but they could both do with a bit of stannis justice which i hope is coming there way!

although Hosteen Frey did gain some cool 'bad ass'tm points with me when they found the body of little walder, i actually felt like he could of made good on his threat and duffed up lord lard and his 4 knights at the same time. :fencing:

To go back upthread a little, Perwyn and Olyvar are Rosbys on their Mother's side. In Dance Kevan mentions there are four claimants to the Rosby estate, I presume Perwyn is one of them (in fact I kinda imagine they might already be using the Rosby colours out of disgust with their fathers house).

Archived