{ADWD Spoilers} The Freys

Alexia

Great work, can I please have a copy of that excel spreadsheet?

Sure! PM your mail and I'll send it you.

How many have actually died though?

2 died druing the RW (Aegon "Jinglebells and Tytos)

7 have died since then, 3 by the hands of the BWB (Ser Ryman, Petyr "Pimple" and Merret), 3 by the Manderlys (Rhaegar, Ser Jared, and Symond), and 1 by an unknown culprit (Little Walder)

And in regard to the bastards, shouldn't you at least count some of the more prominent ones? After all, they were some of the most eager participants in the Red Wedding.

The only bastard that, as far as we know, participated in the RW is Bastar Walder, who led the attack on the camps.

He has to die asap, too, of course.

The living Freys that we have textual evidence of some involvement in the RW are:

Lord Walder (main culprit),Edwyn Frey (Shoved Cat aside), Black Walder (killed "one of the Vances"), Lame Lothar (plotted the whole affair with Bolton), Hosteen (killed Lucas Blackwood), Benfrey (seized Dacey Mormont by the arm), Ser Leslyn (lost an ear in the fighting), Ser Harys Haigh (fought one of the Vances), and Bastard Walder.

My forecast is that the Freys will get their comeuppance in the following way.

The Frey's at Winterfell will all get killed when Stannis and the North crush Roose Bolton. The Frey in charge of Riverrun, Emmon will get killed by the Brotherhood without Banners - one of the outlaws is the singer who Jaime met by Riverrun. The Frey's in the Twins will end up in a huge bought of kinslaying. Edwyn Frey thinks that his father Ryman was killed because of the plotting of his (Edwyn's) younger brother Black Walder. This suspicion and rivalry will lead to bloodshed, with Frey killing Frey at the Twins. Walder Frey will witness this and die in despair knowing that his House has committed this mortal wound to itself.

In all fairness, they simply got the wrong Stark. Jon Snow could probably pull this off. Actually, now that I think about it, he might just do it. He can warg into Ghost and simply start savaging everybody at the Twins.

Arya as well, since there has to be a plot-related reason that Nymeria and her giant wolf army are roaming through the Riverlands.

And since the old gods curse those who slay their guests, what better way to demonstrate the gods' vengeance than to have a giant-ass army of wolves rip their way through the Twins?

The living Freys that we have textual evidence of some involvement in the RW are: ... Benfrey (seized Dacey Mormont by the arm)

Benfrey Frey died of a wound taken at the Red Wedding.

The husband of Kyra Frey, Garse Goodbrook, also died at the Red Wedding.

I'm ready to wait another 6 years for TWOW if I can read about Walder Frey being forced by UnCat to watch his last living male heirs getting hanged, before she cuts his balls off and leaves him alone on his wooden throne in a deserted Twins.

Could I also get a copy of it?

Sure. I'm seeing the PM doesn't work. You can ask for it at roc amo rar at yahoo. com (without spaces).

Benfrey Frey died of a wound taken at the Red Wedding.

The husband of Kyra Frey, Garse Goodbrook, also died at the Red Wedding.

You're right, I overlooked Benfrey. Garse I didn't count because he isn't a Frey by blood.

As much as Walder Frey and those who participated in the Red Wedding are to be detested and persecuted, I don't actually wish that those who may have refused to participate in it and those who never knew about it in the first place are targeted and killed. So I'm glad that the BwB and Stoneheart have only gone after people who were freely involved in the Red Wedding so far.

Domeric seemed like a relatively decent kid, from how Roose talked about him.

Domeric was Roose' run at redemption. He knows he's pretty twisted, but at least hides ALL of it from public notice. So he raised Domeric without letting him see his twisted side, so that Domeric would be the start of the first generation of genuinely decent Boltons. With Domeric's death, all he has is Ramsay and has resigned his lineage/heir to being a deceptive, insane, cruel, and horrible person.

As much as Walder Frey and those who participated in the Red Wedding are to be detested and persecuted, I don't actually wish that those who may have refused to participate in it and those who never knew about it in the first place are targeted and killed. So I'm glad that the BwB and Stoneheart have only gone after people who were freely involved in the Red Wedding so far.

I would agree with you only to a certain extent.But it seems that most of the adult Freys at least were aware of it. Roslin knew about it, and probably was the last person that needed to know for the plot to work. Any of them could have tried to warn the Northeners somehow.

And although people like Olyvar and Perwyn, and certainly the kids and the babes, do not deserve death per se, I would have a certain appeal having Lord Frey, a lord with a huge offspring, see himself heirless by the time he dies.

I'd settle for the Freys being stripped of lands and titles and the Twins being razed to the grounds, though. :)

Actually, the BwB are going after any Frey they can get their hands on.

The only Freys who were killed by the BwB were all at the Red Wedding. The BwB may go after others in the future but until now they haven't.

22 men and 9 women to begin with I think. Phew, that'll be a lot of pies.

Clearly the Freys are simply a plot device by GRRM. The only way to get through the winter is to make Frey pies for the entire population of Westeros.

Domeric was Roose' run at redemption. He knows he's pretty twisted, but at least hides ALL of it from public notice. So he raised Domeric without letting him see his twisted side, so that Domeric would be the start of the first generation of genuinely decent Boltons. With Domeric's death, all he has is Ramsay and has resigned his lineage/heir to being a deceptive, insane, cruel, and horrible person.

I think you're an optimist. Do you see any indication that Roose feels guilty about his behaviour? The day he hung the miller and raped his widow under his corpse was a bad one because he lost a fox and his favourite horse went lame - and this isn't what we learn from his personal POV, this is what he tells Theon. What does he say to Arya in Harrenhall - that he should have her tongue out for speaking to him? Roose is very careful about what he hides (that he's breaking the law with regard to the first night) and what he's public about - remember him giving Catelyn the flayed bit of theon in front of the other Northern Lords who are suitably disgusted.

Domeric is no Ramsey, but then Roose gives every indication of being accomplished too. The apple doesn't fall far from the apple tree!

Arya as well, since there has to be a plot-related reason that Nymeria and her giant wolf army are roaming through the Riverlands.

And since the old gods curse those who slay their guests, what better way to demonstrate the gods' vengeance than to have a giant-ass army of wolves rip their way through the Twins?

There would be a marvelous irony in that, especially giving the incredulous story the Freys are giving to justify the RW.

Archived