[ADwD Spoilers] The Varys-Illyrio Conspiracy

MaesterLuwin

Just to intercede here, I've been reading this discussion/argument that you both have been having and just want to point out/clear up some things that I think you are getting wrong.

- The silver hair and purple eyes might make Targaryens easily recognizable in Westeros, but in Essos there are literally thousands of people with that look, so the idea that Dany and Viserys would be easily recognizable and unable to be hidden is bunk.

- The Golden Company was founded as the base of power for the Blackfyres. No Targaryen has any right to command it because they are a dragon. The Golden Company only bows to the Black Dragon. The line "Some contracts are written blood" is not referencing what you are claiming it is.

(Viserys did feast the captains of the Golden Company, Dany thinks about it in one her chapters, we never actually see the meeting.)

- The captains of the Golden Company were all well aware of who Aegon really was before he revealed it to them. Myles Toyne was in on the plan from the very beginning and he told Harry Strickland who then told all the captains upon arrival at Volantis.

- The Golden Company were not going to Meereen to "help Dany", they were waiting for Aegon to meet with them and then they were going to Meereen to fetch Dany to marry her to Aegon. If they were going to help Dany's cause then why wait for Aegon first? Right there that shows who the priority is.

And now for some of my own observations/conclusions. I think that it is quite clear that for Varys and Ilyrio it has always been about Aegon and any interest they have in Dany is specifcally for the purpose of marrying her to Aegon. Illyrio knew full well that Drogo would be going East and not returning until after his child was born, this is at least 9 months before any Dothraki invasion takes place, and remember that Illyrio wanted Viserys to stay in Pentos. I suspect that had that happened, Viserys would not be alive when Dany and Drogo returned and they would have been told a horrible story about how the Usurpers Dogs had gotten to him.

Great Post, I Concur...

Lysono Maar the Lysene spymaster of the Golden Company, Serra the Lysene former wife of Illyrio and Serenie of Lys the lover of Aegon IV and mother to Shiera Seastar. Combined with Jorah's whore that you mentioned and GRRM's comments that Lys was a Valyrian colony inhabited primarily by Valyrians, we have clear evidence that the "vlayrian look" is not unusal in Esssos.

There is also the nobles of Volantis behind the Black Wall. In order to dwell behind the Black Wall and potentially become a Triarch, one must be able to prove their Valyrian ancestry in an unbroken line back to the Freehold. This means that by now they are all much more pure blooded Valyrian then any Targaryen.

but do all Valyrians have silver hair and violet eyes? Its not in Europe any particular culture has the same hair or eye colour. Yes (in our world) the blonde hair, blue eye genes originated in the north, and thats why the genes are more popular in northern countries, but by no means do all Scandinavians and Germans have blonde hair and blue eyes.

Yet why did they wait for Aegon before setting out? If Dany was the priority then why not go to Meereen as fast as possible and meet up with Aegon later? They were not going to help Dany, they were going to fetch Aegon's bride.

They set out to Volantis to meet Dany there. I quoted the golden company leaders claiming that they had recieved orders from Illyrio to meet up with Dany in Volantis, but she never moved west. Griff confirms that that was the plan, and then asks them to move to Mereen to meet up with Dany their, since she wasn't leaving, to which Aegon says No. That alone is proof that they had plans to help Dany, since both Griff and the leaders of Golden Company thought that the plan was to help Dany, I am pretty sure that the plan is to help Dany...

I disagree on points one and four.1. We have only see one character with the silver hair and violet eyes other then a targaryen, that is the whore Mormont fucks in ADWD
It may be somewhat rare but it's not that rare. Frome the Wiki of Ice and Fire: Purple Eyes -
The Free CitiesWhere the blood of the old Valyrian Freehold runs strong purple eyes and silver hair can still be found. Many Lysene have white blond hair and smooth fair skin.[7] It is claimed that half the whores in Lys have purple eyes and silver hair. Some slaves have purple eyes and silver hair also.
but do all Valyrians have silver hair and violet eyes? Its not in Europe any particular culture has the same hair or eye colour. Yes (in our world) the blonde hair, blue eye genes originated in the north, and thats why the genes are more popular in northern countries, but by no means do all Scandinavians and Germans have blonde hair and blue eyes.
I doubt all Varyrians have white-blonde hair and violet eyes, I'm sure there is some variation, but those physical characteristics are common among those of Valyrian descent. Likewise, similar physical characteristics are common in some areas of Essos (e.g. Lys):
Many Lysene have white-blond hair and smooth fair skin, as the blood of the old Freehold still runs strong there.[8]

Archived