[ADWD Spoilers] Lord Manderly

No, I don't see why even Wyman Manderley needed 40 wagons of food.

Have you guys seen the Manderleys eat?

How many people did he bring? Trrops? And for how long?

I'm not saying there wasn't something else in some of the wagons, but I don't see how you are writing off these wagons.

Frankly, 40 wagons is not a huge number. Generally speaking, logistics is much underestimated and GRRM doesn't often show much of it..

From the Reek in Barrowton chapter:

His father's pale eyes glittered. "Did I give you that impression? Still, his lordship is most distraught."

"Not so distraught tha the can't eat. Lord Pig must have brought half the food in White Harbor with him"

Forty wayns of foodstuffs. <details of food in said wayns>. ... Lord Wyman likes to eat. You may have noticed."

What I noticed was that he brought no hostages ."

"I noticed that as well."

What do you mean to do about it?"

It is a quandary." ....

What are wayns anyway?

Logistics aside. I think it can be speculated that Manderley has brought more than just a lot of food to WF w/ him in these 40 wayns. But what?

I think this says: No, I don't see why even Wyman Manderley needed 40 wagons of food. There must be s**t in them that you need at Winterfell, but not just for. He brought plenty of soldiers with him, so maybe it would be extra weapons? Or if he knew the greenhouse glass was broken, maybe Wyman has replacements so that they can grow more food if snowed in?

I think that is what he meant ...

Thank you very much!

What are wayns anyway?

wagons or carts. Personally I don't think that fourty wagon loads of food is very much, particularly considering how much Manderly likes to eat. Presumably he is relying on there being a fresh source of meat for making pies so he can feed himself and his men in the future?

Thank you for this thread. I have laughed all the way through it. Manderly was awesome in this book. He is a stone cold mean as fat man.

I tend to think he is on a suicide mission too (or he's not worried about his life). Several characters mentioned how "grey" he looked and he is morbidly obese. I can't see him being long for this world, but he'll be long enough to make his hits count and get some vengeance.

Thanks also for the insights re: Manderly, Umbers, Stannis and Bastard Bolton's letter. I'm hoping (please GRRM) that Manderly's hand is in it and Bolton has been given misinformation and a trap is being set for him.

I've only read the book once so far (just starting to re-read), but this is exactly the impression I got while whipping through the thing. I was expecting the wound he took in the argument to be fatal, but for him to die grimly happy and satisfied.

I was discussing Lord Manderly with someone today and I was struck by two things:

1. He IS, every bit, no fan of the Southron lords. One gets the distinct impression his fat rolls being like snow drifts... he is forever a Northman.

2. GRRM likes setting you up for characters. Bran looks near death and weak... now he may be the most powerful of all the Starks. Prescious (annoying) Dany and her white gown belie a fierce and cunning enemy should you mistake her for weak. Brienne is the embodyment of the same, except she'll look and act the man, but knows she'll still be underestimated. Indeed, even simple Davos is proving remarkably resilient and nigh-invulnerable after a couple of near-death experiences. Samwell provided another good example, though he remains to whiny for my enjoyment.

For the record, I think the excess Manderly food wayns will be important if/when Stannis' hungry army enters Winterfell.

Oh, and Manderly will survive. He has to. His ships are kind of important for my plotting against the Lannisters and the Mummer's Dragon. :cool4:

Manderly.... You're the boss!!

That aside though, do you guys think he'll go against Stannis as soon as he has his liege lord back? Or do you think Manderly might view Stannis as an ally? Personally I could imagine him tossing Stannis aside, but I also think Rickon might object, especially if he has formed a bond with Davos :)

Forty wayns of foodstuffs. <details of food in said wayns>. ... Lord Wyman likes to eat. You may have noticed."

Logistics aside. I think it can be speculated that Manderley has brought more than just a lot of food to WF w/ him in these 40 wayns. But what?

Food. It says so right there. Not 40 wayns with foodstuffs,, 40 wayns of foodstuffs.

Anything can be speculated. Who is McCumber and why is his eye such a mess?

Manderly.... You're the boss!!

That aside though, do you guys think he'll go against Stannis as soon as he has his liege lord back? Or do you think Manderly might view Stannis as an ally? Personally I could imagine him tossing Stannis aside, but I also think Rickon might object, especially if he has formed a bond with Davos :)

The North doesn't need another Stark King. I think Manderly would be perfectly happy with Rickon as Lord Paramount, perhaps even serving as his "regent" under King Stannis

Food. It says so right there. Not 40 wayns with foodstuffs,, 40 wayns of foodstuffs.

Anything can be speculated. Who is McCumber and why is his eye such a mess?

Well, OK. Maybe Ramsay personally inspected the 40 ways of foodstuffs and the case is closed. It's just food. But maybe not ...

Isn't that why we are here, to speculate?

And speculating about this is far more interesting than speculating about unpaid overtime damages anyway ...

For the record, I think the excess Manderly food wayns will be important if/when Stannis' hungry army enters Winterfell.

Yep, either that or most of the food in the wayns is poisoned/tainted and with Manderly's guys outside the walls the Boltons and Freys will eat the bad stuff.

I was discussing Lord Manderly with someone today and I was struck by two things:

1. He IS, every bit, no fan of the Southron lords. One gets the distinct impression his fat rolls being like snow drifts... he is forever a Northman.

2. GRRM likes setting you up for characters. Bran looks near death and weak... now he may be the most powerful of all the Starks. Prescious (annoying) Dany and her white gown belie a fierce and cunning enemy should you mistake her for weak. Brienne is the embodyment of the same, except she'll look and act the man, but knows she'll still be underestimated. Indeed, even simple Davos is proving remarkably resilient and nigh-invulnerable after a couple of near-death experiences. Samwell provided another good example, though he remains to whiny for my enjoyment.

1. exactly and it seems that of all The North he remembers the most

2. on the other hand we have perfectly healthy i-beat-three-rookies-for-breakfast Jon that can't unsheathe his sword when most needed

• 4 weeks later...

I really love the idea that Manderly brought ALL that food to eventually feed Stannis and his men as well.

He either did that or else was trying to lull the Boltons and Freys into a false-sense of food security with the intention of leaving them in the lurch one way or another. I wonder if he might have promised to do this for Davos Seaworth in exchange for the promise to go looking for Rickon.

Archived