A map of the world

Beagle

well 12MB is probably too much for me but you should share it here with us. here is my version of the known map with little speculation it's 4000x4000 and takes less than 3MB.

[url=]http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/634/omap41.jpg

I am still hoping that someone will combine and edit the original PDF, this way we will get even 50000x50000 resolution in even smaller file size than mine.

Do we have any speculation or any comments from Martin on that new continent to the west of the sunset sea?

http://d2mca3jhrjcsa8.cloudfront.net/tv/2011/game_of_thrones/interview/got_map.jpg

All I know is that Martin commented on the northern continent that appeared instead of Ibben, saying that it's BS, but other than and some perspective issues, westeroes and the free cities were dead on.

I thought the same about their version of free cities in essos, until the latest maps confirmed it to be spot on.

i think that it's apparent that HBO played with the map to make it look better on screen. westeroes resized, free cities had perspective changed and was rotated, the western continent(which I assume is the eastern end of Essos) was moved closer and the hidden dorne was copy pasted on top to fill the gap.

So while it looks like BS, my crackpot theory is, that they didnt invented much but played with what they got. for example that new continent moved in place of Ibben, could easily be a copy paste of the hidden southern part of southoryos or the red waste(or at least I cant figure out where it was copy pasted from).

just the same eastern end of Essos, if pushed back and removed the apparent copy paste space fillers, leaves us with something very similar to some of the speculative world maps...

EDIT: here is a very quick edit of their screen

http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/3649/temp5r.jpg

btw, do we know anything about the shadow lands, most importantly are they part of Essos or another continent?

Ok the map is mostly done, please let me know if there are any errors or things that should be changed as this map was made with everyone in mind. I can clean up the map if the scan looks crappy just let me know what sections. Also I could shrink down the size of the map possibly but I would have to blow up the section of the wall so that you could still read it. Just let me know how to make it better and I will try.

MegaUpload Link

Ok the map is mostly done, please let me know if there are any errors or things that should be changed as this map was made with everyone in mind. I can clean up the map if the scan looks crappy just let me know what sections. Also I could shrink down the size of the map possibly but I would have to blow up the section of the wall so that you could still read it. Just let me know how to make it better and I will try.

MegaUpload Link

This is awesome, thanks!

looks very nice and cab be helpful. But, like I said before, for me even 12MB is getting to big...

if you still have all the text(not as graphics) for a quick copy paste, then i'll try to fix you up with something to cut your size by 10.

EDIT: unless I missed something, here is an example of world map, you can slap your layer on merged PDF (I can make it as SVG, so that anyone can open it in browser instead of a PDF reader).

That map mordin999, is much nicer looking than mine. I do still have the layers and everything but my map is slightly different enough from the one you posted that the layer would be off on everything (even if I played around with the image size). Did you make that map? It looks like you used illustrator and live trace but with much better results than I (which I eventually abandoned).

Maybe I can start from scratch again and vectorize the individual maps before combining them using illustrator in conjunction with photoshop. I shall play around with it when I get a chance.

Then again, a map of this size, is it even possible to get it any smaller (file size)?

Edit> that map is so much better (easier to read than mine that I just might as well do the grid thing with that one instead).

edit2> http://www.mediafire.com/i/?a2k73p0a3k96kd6

Haven't added the list yet but it is down to 6.54mb!

Edit3> Ok, since I can't sucker my gf into redoing the list again, i would need help from people here (if you want to). I have a list of all the cities but no coordinates. Feel free to add them pretty pretty please. Here is the first part:

-A-

Acorn Hall

Andalos

Antler River

Antlers

Ar Noy

Arbor, The

Ashford

Astapor

Ax Isle

Axe, The

-B-

Bandallon

Banefort

Barrowlands

Barrowton

Basilisk Isle

Basilisk Point

Bay of Crabs

Bay of Ice

Bay of Seals

Bear Island

Bhorash

Bitterbridge

Black Cliffs, The

Blackcrown

Blackhaven

Blackmont

Blacktyde

Blackwater Bay

Blackwater Rush

Blazewater Bay

Bloodstone

Bloody Gate

Blue Fork

Blueburn

Boneway

Braavos

Braavosian Coastland

Brightwater Keep

Brimstone

Broken Arm, The

Broken Branch

Bronzegate

-C-

Cape Kraken

Cape of Eagles

Cape Wrath

Casterly Rock

Cider Hall

Claw Isle

Cockleswhent

Coldwater

Cornfield

Crackclaw Point

Crag, The

Crakehall

Craster’s Keep

Crow’s Nest

-D-

Dagger Lake

Darkwash

Deep Den

Deepwood Motte

Disputed Lands, The

Dorne

Dornish Marches, The

Dragonstone

Dreadfort, The

Driftmark

Duskendale

-E-

Elyria

Estermont

Evenfall Hall

Eyrie, The

-F-

Fair Isle

Faircastle

Fairmarket

Feastfires

Felwood

Fingers, The

Fist of the First Men, The

Flatlands, The

Flint Cliffs, The

Flint’s Finger

Forest of Qobor

Frostfangs, The

Frozen Shore, The

-G-

Ghaen

Ghaston Grey

Ghiscar

Ghiscari Strait

Ghost Hill

Ghoyan Drobe

Ghozai

Gods Eye

Godsgrace

Gogossos

Golden Fields, The

Golden Grove

Golden Tooth

Goldroad, The

Grassy Vale

Great Wyk

Green Fork

Greenblood

Greenstone

Grey Cliffs, The

Grey Gallows

Greywater Watch

Griffin’s Roost

Gulf of Grief, The

Gullet, The

Gulltown

-H-

Hardbone

Harlaw

Harrenhal

Haunted Forest

Haystitch Hall

Heart’s Home

Hellbolt

High Heart

High Hermitage

Highgarden

Hills of Norvos

Honeybolt

Honeywine

Horn Hill

Hornvale

Not better, just smaller, thanks for the original PDFs(I just copy pasted everything together) and btw I liked your original style.

anyway, if you actually decide to work with the file, be careful with editing the original map text, jeff used an annoying font that made editing it tricky.

• 1 month later...

Just noticed that, it looks amazing, the trees are old Russian maps tree brush right :) It's one of the brushes I got before I decided to abandon my hope to make my own map (the reason for that is that I suck at art, a 4 year old with colouring book does a better job than I do, which is why iam just a copy paste hack, oh well we all want what we cannot have).

Btw how you made the interface? the hard way or did you have some kind of interface to help speed things up?

p.s. I really love the design of your site, simple, good colouring and intuitive.

• 1 month later...

Hello, I'd like to ask, is there a map of the world of Ice and Fire?

I have found nothing Comprehensive but this is what I am thinking...

At some point some gaming company like Blizzard is going to get the OK from Martin to produce an RPG type of game. Not unlike World of Warcraft. When that happens we will have maps galore.

Hope it is soon!

http://media.photobu...ther_in_Law.jpg

I found this map, and loved it.

Maybe too artistic to some people, but for me its a very beautiful map and seems something with a westerosi touch!

That was actually posted in the beginning of this thread. Someone mentioned they liked how Valyria was at the center.

My biggest questions at this point: is the world round? I think it would be very like Martin to say "it's fantasy, go with it," but when I first read Euron Crow's Eye bragging about his unrivaled travels, my thought was that this must be the whole world; Euron talks like a man who has seen all there is to see. Would that place Asshai west of Westeros? Or is this world flat? GRRM says that the world is Earth, but not Earth. So it must needs be round, amirite?

Yep, Martin would definitely tell me to shut up and submit to the fantasy.

• 2 weeks later...

Do we have any speculation or any comments from Martin on that new continent to the west of the sunset sea?

http://d2mca3jhrjcsa...iew/got_map.jpg

All I know is that Martin commented on the northern continent that appeared instead of Ibben, saying that it's BS, but other than and some perspective issues, westeroes and the free cities were dead on.

I too am fascinated by that map. I feel like HBO was given a much larger map than we've been allowed to see, were instructed not to share it, and this is a small piece that slipped through. You can see the cities on the continent west of the Sunset Sea.. I don't think the ocean is that small, but I doubt the graphic designer took that many liberties. I'm guessing it's Yi Ti/Asshai/etc. on the far edge of Esssos? I also feel like there's a lot more going on in the Lands of Always Winter than we think, as in a few whole cities.

I have glued some maps in together, and I have added Hawaii as the Summer Islands in a place where they can be reached by both the pirates of the Basilisk Islands and the westerosi merchants (both of which have a really crappy nautical technology and knowledge (even the ironborn fear sailing out of sight of land).

img3.imageshack.us/img3/645/worldmapspeculative3.png

Another map I have made:

http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/3488/mapawesterosyciudadesli.gif

Archived