A map of the world

Beagle

• 2 weeks later...

That was actually posted in the beginning of this thread. Someone mentioned they liked how Valyria was at the center.

My biggest questions at this point: is the world round? I think it would be very like Martin to say "it's fantasy, go with it," but when I first read Euron Crow's Eye bragging about his unrivaled travels, my thought was that this must be the whole world; Euron talks like a man who has seen all there is to see. Would that place Asshai west of Westeros? Or is this world flat? GRRM says that the world is Earth, but not Earth. So it must needs be round, amirite?

Yep, Martin would definitely tell me to shut up and submit to the fantasy.

There is always a chance that he changed his mind, I suppose. But as of March the 21st, 2002, the world of Song was indeed round:

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Category/C91/P45/

• 1 month later...

All these maps are fantastic, I think aCoK desperately needs a complete map of Essos for reference when reading Dany's chapters. I spent most her chapters confused at exactly where she was, the only reference to her initial direction is that she follows the comet east. I assumed that Essos was enormous, so I also assumed that she was still nowhere near its eastern coast when she sent out riders south west, south and south east. Then the first two riders coming back having seen coast surprised me, I then had an image of the southern coast of Essos sloping up in a north eastern direction to account for this. I see most of the maps here assume Dany's path wasn't true east but south east, and have Qarth to the lower right of the continent.

Then when they begin talking of sailing back via Slavers Bay, I realised she must have spanned the whole width of Essos in a book and a half (?) if she was now sailing from it's eastern coast. I also didn't spot any way of determining whether they were sailing north and Slavers Bay was on the northern coast (this was before I saw the Slavers Bay map in aSoS) or whether they were sailing south. I guessed north (wrongly) and then forgot that I'd guessed, saw the map and thought it must be the southern coast of a different continent. So yea........very confusing.

I'd love to hear what factors went in to positioning Qarth on these maps, I'm in the middle of re-reading aCoK so I probably missed a lot the first time.

seeing these maps finally got me out of the mind set of seeing westeros in a an england kind of location where it sits north and to the west of essos instead of just to the west as is the actual case. thanks everybody who did the work to find these maps

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at the maps of the North, seems like there would be more castles/towns in the southwest in the Rills and Stoney Shore. Is there any major houses west of Barrowton and Torrhen's Square? The land seems decent compared to what the Umbers and Glovers have. Seems like the North has no port on the west at all. Would expect some castles on the Rivers atleast, to defend against Ironborn.

Just finished Dance With Dragons, so I'm up-to-date, but I'll tell ya, it's hard to keep up with the many characters--even the major ones, and what they've done, where they've been. Has anybody made a time-line chart, or better yet, map? I would be cool to have an app where you choose Arya, for instance, and see a path on a map of her travels and the highlights. Anyone know of such a thing being done already?

• 1 month later...

I saw this attempt at a world map on twitter: http://scrollsofarya...ion-2-287695945

It is well done, and I like distances overall between known areas... But I think that Essos is WAAAAY too small. I would imagine it being much more like asia, where the eastern part extending up almost to the compass, and further out east beyond the edge of the map. Done this way the Shadowlands and/or Asshai just looks like a teensy peninsula.

Essos in this map is roughly the same size as Westeros, whereas I imagine it to be almost twice as large.

Of course I could be very wrong. But that is my impression.

I saw this attempt at a world map on twitter: http://scrollsofarya...ion-2-287695945

It is well done, and I like distances overall between known areas... But I think that Essos is WAAAAY too small. I would imagine it being much more like asia, where the eastern part extending up almost to the compass, and further out east beyond the edge of the map. Done this way the Shadowlands and/or Asshai just looks like a teensy peninsula.

Essos in this map is roughly the same size as Westeros, whereas I imagine it to be almost twice as large.

Of course I could be very wrong. But that is my impression.

I would have made Essos a bit bigger too, but even so, it´s still the best world map ever done to date.

The only fault I can find is that the Red Waste is too far from Lhazar; Daenerys could have escaped her enemies going east without entering the desert; as a matter of fact, if she had gone straight east she could have reached the sea in a shorter time and without approaching the Red Waste.

I suppose that, by now, many people have seen the map shown during the "Making the GOT Intro" DVD feature:

http://images4.fanpop.com/image/photos/21900000/World-map-concept-art-game-of-thrones-21953715-2048-1146.jpg

Essos is probably quite accurate beyond the official maps (then of course, even with Essos, I don't get why the key location would be some farmland tens of leabues North of Pentos...), but I'm quite surprised by the massive size of what should be Ibben - or rather the frozen continent of which Ibben is merely a small part - and the quite narro sea West of Westeros.

I wonder to which extent it's quite accurate and if Martin actually saw it or if it's totally made up stuff based on them getting early maps of the Free Cities way before ADWD's release.

Archived