A map of the world

Beagle

Repost from the other thread, any chance it is something like this: http://s13.postimage.org/431wxuvo7/image.jpg EDIT: I had the same thought, if so, Ashi is closer that it seems... EDIT2: Also another look at the map http://postimage.org/image/hy2yoqc2z/

More or less, although I think the area around Qarth has been totally revamped from the HBO map. You still have the shape of the peninsular from the HBO map on which Qarth sits, but I think that's gone altogether.

Hmm... Qarth supposed to be a gateway between the east and west, but from the new maps it seem that you can easily take sail around that new land mass south of it.

Yeah, I don't get that. The only explanation is that maybe the southern route is too dangerous for some reason. This is one area where the HBO map made a bit more sense by putting Qarth on the only way into the Jade Sea.

I thought Ibben was supposed to be more northerly, at the latitude of Skagos. Instead, it's around the same latitude as Winterfell.

Indeed. Over ten years ago GRRM said that Ibben was 1) about the same size as Iceland and 2) about as fair from Westeros as Finland is from the UK (roughly 1,000 miles). The Skagos thing was also mentioned IIRC.

Clearly, at some point he changed his mind. Ibben is now more than three times further away from Westeros and is considerably larger than Iceland, as well as being somewhat further south (not a huge amount, but enough to be noticeable).

I'm fairly certain theres a cartoon map with the world of (w.e its called) it contains westeros (smallest one it seems) and the map only shows major cities/castles so u wont see winterfell in it really, but u will see white harbour/KL/lannisport/Wall. theres essos and the Asshai area with the demon placing a shadow south of it. and on the other side White walker Placing a Icy blanket over north westeros. and theres cartoon Dinosuars in that africa-like continent south of essos.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to Bantam's sneak preview of the Lands of Ice and Fire, I have thrown together a very rough new world map outline.

The differences with the HBO map are fairly substantial. The Jade Sea now appears to run south of Essos, with Qarth on its north-western coast. The Straits of Qarth are no longer between two parts of Essos, or between Essos and Sothoryos, but between Essos and a large island which separates the Summer Sea from the Jade Sea. There is another strait to the south of this island, between it and Sothoryos. This makes the placement of Qarth dubious; isn't parth of Qarth's wealth based on the fact that it controls the only access point between the two seas? Still, that can be explained by the southern straits being pirate-infested or too dangerous due to currents or something.

This reorientation of the entire Jade Sea means that Essos now appears to extent eastwards as a solid landmass for a colossal distance (basically, everything that was the Jade Sea on the HBO map is now filled-in land). Based on what the LoIaF set calls the 'Dothraki Sea' map, Vaes Dothrak appears to have been moved a fair bit south (that map cuts off way south of VD's position on the HBO map). Most interesting is that there is now a massive mountain range - like Himalaya massive - which seems to run from that bay south-east of Ibben all the way to the Jade Sea just east of Qarth. Cool, I guess, but you'd have thought we'd have heard about such a massive range in the books. The Jade Sea is still more or less circular and filled with islands. There is a large jungle along part of its northern coast (isn't Yi Ti reported to be in a jungle?) and a large grey smudge near the south-east, which looks like another possible mountain range. I'm going to guess that Asshai is on what appears to be a substantial bay on the east coast of the Jade Sea. No indications of anything that could be the Shadow Lands.

The Summer Isles appear to lie south of the Narrow Sea and consist of several large islands (at least three, maybe more) oriented along a north-south axis. The bit of Sothoryos we see on the existing maps is pretty much all that there is, and the whole thing appears to be a peninsular of the what is presumably the main Sothoryon continent further south.

Damn, right when I finished my map based on the information from the newer map from HBO to replace the speculation I had in place there, I stumble upon this. I guess I should read these forums more often. Oh well... back to Photoshop it is, then :)

Finished it, if you're interested here's the link:

http://astrogator87.deviantart.com/#/d54l0if

If you've see any errors I'd be happy to know. It's really large (~7400*7400), but the original goal was to have a map to plot out and hang on the wall. I left out anything east of Qarth as there's not enough info on these areas and having Qarth in is sufficient to show any area where the action takes places. Needs a little polishing still, if I find some time.

The HBO map is inaccurate, as it's based on GRRM's old maps. He recently revised the areas east of Slaver's Bay quite heavily, so The Lands of Ice and Fire will be the first, complete and fully accurate map of those eastern regions.

hope The Lands of Ice & Fire is available in Mexico soon! :)

i'm not sure if this this has already been asked here before, nor i this is the right place to ask it, but does anybody know how long does it take to cross the narrow sea? i think between KL & Pentos the distance wouldn't be that long for example, so what- 2 or 3 weeks maybe?

thanks!

Well, it would depend on the weather. The Narrow Sea isn't big, but storms or a long period of dead calm might delay the journey. A couple of weeks seems reasonable, I guess, provided that the weather is cooperative; maybe even less, like 10-12 days.

hope The Lands of Ice & Fire is available in Mexico soon! :)

i'm not sure if this this has already been asked here before, nor i this is the right place to ask it, but does anybody know how long does it take to cross the narrow sea? i think between KL & Pentos the distance wouldn't be that long for example, so what- 2 or 3 weeks maybe?

thanks!

The Narrow Sea is about 300 miles wide (similar to the length of the Wall, on the map).

Assuming an average sailing speed of 5 knots (that's around 5 miles an hour, I think), and assuming that they only sail in daylight hours (I don't know if that's the case or not), that means about 50 miles per day, meaning about 6 days to cross the Narrow Sea.

Archived